• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Buying used off EBay

Pammy

Diva in Training
Hello fellow Divas - Newbie to the site here. OK, don't laugh but I am finally ready to upgrade my 35 year old skis (yup, bought them in 1980, been skiing happily on them since). These are the long and skinny style (K2) and I know the "new thing" is shorter shaped skis. I'm 5'3", 125 lbs. and 58 years old. Was an advanced intermediate at one time, but now probably a solid intermediate.

I have found some K2 "Luv" series used on Ebay that look like just the thing for me. But I'm confused - should I get Burnins? Lotta? One? Anyone had experience buying used off EBay? Should i get 153s? 160s? I think this might be the last pair of skis i ever get...thanks gals!

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Luv series is at least 5 years old if not more. The Burnin's are a narrower, carving ski and the Lotta's are a wider more all mountain ski. I think the One Luv was a more beginner ski and may not be for you. They were a great line of skis but have been replaced by even better skis. I am skeptical of used skis from Ebay because it is difficult to confirm that the condition of the skis are what is being represented in the pictures. I have no idea what they are asking in terms of prices and no nothing about your budget so hard to say.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pammy, Welcome!
Now, the first thing you must accept as a new Forum member is never to say something like " this might be the last pair of skis I ever get." The Ski Divas are enablers of the worst kind:thumbsup:. You may THINK this purchase will be your last, but with all the encouragement---correctly so---to demo skis if you can, you may well end up buying a few more pairs throughout the remainder of your ski life. And at 58, you have lots of terrain left to explore!

As for E-bay, it is a very fine option if you have researched and learned what it is you are seeking. Get started here reading the Gear sections. Demo skis from a shop on or near your ski area to become familiar with your preferences ; if you can actually discover what those might be. Demoing skis will help you learn about yourself as a skier. There is absolutely nothing wrong about looking into older model skis. If you are basing this hunt on prices, then you may be doing yourself a disservice and ending up with a ski that it totally wrong for you. Or you could get lucky and fall in love. BUT..............AND THIS IS A BIG BUT... YOUR BOOTS ARE EVERYTHING!!!

Get back out there and enjoy the slopes; demo skis. Get yourself a great pair of boots FIRST. (unless you have already done that.)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome, Pammy :D Badger gives you good advice. I bought the K2 Lotta Luvs 4 seasons ago, skied them one season, my quads screamed bloody murder the entire time, so I ditched them for some Blizzard Black Pearls and never looked back. My point is there might be better options for you out there, and you have come to the right place for ladies to help you in your search!

Some other questions for you are: Where do you ski? What type of terrain do you like to ski? Have you been skiing recently? What is your budget including bindings? And yes, the boot question is the biggie--that's where you need to spend your money if you haven't already.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Badger is wise!
Go to a shop and spend some $$ on properly fitted boots. These are your steering control and without good boots, even the best and newest skis are worthless. The right boots may, indeed, last you many, many years.

Then, if you can, demo some skis to see which ones bring you the biggest grins. If, at that point, you're on a super-tight budget, an E-bay purchase may be appropriate, but you'll still need to take them to a shop for a tune up and binding adjustments. If you don't really know what you're looking for, you can get royally screwed on used skis. Great pictures of the actual pair of skis is paramount - you need to check for base damage, delamination, and type of bindings. You also need to know how many times the bindings have been mounted in case you need to have them remounted to fit your boots. Most shops won't drill beyond a 3rd set of holes.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hello fellow Divas - Newbie to the site here. OK, don't laugh but I am finally ready to upgrade my 35 year old skis (yup, bought them in 1980, been skiing happily on them since). These are the long and skinny style (K2) and I know the "new thing" is shorter shaped skis. I'm 5'3", 125 lbs. and 58 years old. Was an advanced intermediate at one time, but now probably a solid intermediate.

I have found some K2 "Luv" series used on Ebay that look like just the thing for me. But I'm confused - should I get Burnins? Lotta? One? Anyone had experience buying used off EBay? Should i get 153s? 160s? I think this might be the last pair of skis i ever get...thanks gals!
Hello there! What region do you ski in most of the time?

I'm your age and a little shorter. Bought new K2 One Luv back in 2009 as skis from an eBay shop of some sort. That was after renting a few times so I was comfortable with the current ski designs. I had gone to a local demo day so knew they would probably be okay for the small hills in the southeast. I was a solid intermediate then who was starting to get more days on snow after getting my daughter started on skis. Learned long ago and didn't ski much as a working adult. Still have the skis I bought in 1981 but haven't used them since 2000.

Fast forward a few years. My next pair of skis were quite different. Longer and more versatile. Also a lot lighter (as in carrying weight) than the K2 One Luv. Both skis had system bindings, which add to the weight.

Given what I've learned in recent years, I wouldn't buy skis more than 2-3 years out of date, used or new. Certainly don't need the current model year but you should be able to find more current models for good prices.

mustski

Angel Diva
I have nothing new to add. Everyone above has given you good advice. I do want to say :welcome: and ... never say that it's your last pair of skis!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lessons, too, would be a great investment as the techniques used for the current skis is vastly different than that for the older skis, even the first generation of "shapes".

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:welcome:
Good advice above, ESPECIALLY WITH REGARD TO BOOTS!

As to skis, at this point in your return to the sport, I'd personally avoid ebay. If you have to buy anything without seeing it first, you're better off going with an online retailer that sells used demos (in addition to new), such as evo (their outlet section).

The K2 T9 Luv series is, at this point in time, pretty dated. They were good skis for their era - but many changes and improvements have happened in that interim. In your shoes, I'd opt for a more recent model, perhaps a used demo. If it's at all possible, trying out a couple of skis will provide much insight.

Also - as mentioned above - ski technique has similarly evolved, so getting in some instruction to help you adapt to a new feel would be quite beneficial.

In the course of this season, you'll likely (hopefully!) find that skiing is easier than ever, as the skis now "do" so much of the work that we used to have to practically force in the old skis (and>>we made it work!>Wow!). My first time on a very shaped ski, I exited the chairlift, pressured the skis - and promptly did a 180 practically into the lift shack! Ha. A little bit too much pressure there, eh?

Much luck, take it one stage at a time!
Most important, have fun. :smile:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
there is a section on this forum for listing gear for sale. I think you need 25 posts in order to see it. you may find something there also that might interest you.

bobolinx

Certified Ski Diva
Hi and welcome! I don't have any advice on the skis, but do understand the draw to eBay. I came back to skiing a couple of years ago and purchased cheap used equipment from eBay and a used sports store nearby for the boots. After reading many of the diva's posts, I did buy and have some boots fitted- great advice! The skis are not great, and I do want to upgrade possibly later this year, but if you're used to your old skis, anything from eBay will probably be an upgrade. If you are trying to save money, the ones with the bindings are cheaper. Also open a couple of tabs so you can do some research on the model before buying. Skis are a "blind item". They are even more of a "blind" purchase from the web. The advice from everyone here is the best advice- demo first, if possible. Also try to find a ski shop with salespeople who understand your ski style and can give a few choices. Good Luck!

Soujan

Angel Diva
I have always been a huge fan of eBay and I've made some great purchases off of there. I was on a budget and bought my first pair of skis from eBay which were Atomic Hot Minx. I didn't want to spend a lot on a first pair of skis and bought them slightly used. I also bought my current skis from eBay. After demoing the new Nordica Belle to Belle and Wild Belle and loving them, I didn't want to pay retail, so I opted to buy an older Nordica ski. Bought them new and took them to my local shop to get the bindings mounted. I have the Nordica Infinite and I love them as my daily driver. Before I make any large purchase off of eBay, I thoroughly research the item I am looking at and/or try to find the same or a similar item in the store.

Pammy

Diva in Training
My goodness, what a friendly and helpful bunch you all are! I so very appreciate the time you all took to help me in my quest. I will be following all your good advice and go the demo route. I knew that was what I should do, but just didn't want to drive to Tahoe with NO skis in my car! That feels so weird!! But I will be at Sugar Bowl in a couple weeks and will demo there. And I will definitely get a lesson because as MaineKSkiLady said I practically have to force my old, long skinny skis to turn. I like the boots I have (they are "only" about 15 years old - ha!) but, after reading from you all about the importance of the boots, I will look into new ones as well.

Boy, this is going to be expensive, but I rarely treat myself so I can splurge. I have moved to Southern California, so I can't get up to Tahoe as much as I would like. I am going to try the smaller resorts at Big Bear too, which is pretty darn close.

OK, thanks to you all - I am now going to really explore this wonderful site - Love you Divas!

Pamela

Jilly

Staff member
You go for it girl.....Now if your boots are 15 years old too they do need to be replaced. First off, the plastic. Even though our environmentalist tell us it doesn't disintegrate, its does. I've seen too many boots in the last few years explode - even on the hill, because they were old. They just don't hold up to the cold. Some even break in half in the store. Second, older boots were not made for the new style of skiing. Manufacturers now put different plastics in the different places for more stability in the lateral movement and more flex in the forward movement. Then if you're boots are that old they may not be women's specific. Our anatomy is different from men's. As Volklgirl would say - Get thee to a boot fitter. Take a look at our gearpedia section and read all about a boot fit. Spend your money on your feet. If they are not happy, you won't be skiing!!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots, boots, boots! Spend time getting that right before you demo anything - because a well fitting, modern boot will make all the difference in how the ski feels. And I was skiing with a friend who hadn't skied in quite a while - as we were going down the hill, his buckles on his old boots kept flying off! I also saw the sole of a boot attached to the bindings - but ONLY the sole of the boot, as the rest of the boot had separated from the sole!

Pammy

Diva in Training
I'm going to Tahoe in a couple weeks, and I'm going to make an appt at The Start House for a boot fitting! YAY!
Not going to go the cheap route this time, going to do it right! Get the right boots (if the ones I already have aren't), then demo skis at Sugar Bowl, and take a private lesson. This season is shaping up so well with soooo much snow, I want to take full advantage of it.

And, Contesstant - thank you for the list of my future skiing friends...though I've mostly skied alone it would be fun to have some company for a change.

So glad I found this site and all you friendly helpful gals...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to Tahoe in a couple weeks, and I'm going to make an appt at The Start House for a boot fitting! YAY!
Not going to go the cheap route this time, going to do it right! Get the right boots (if the ones I already have aren't), then demo skis at Sugar Bowl, and take a private lesson. This season is shaping up so well with soooo much snow, I want to take full advantage of it.

And, Contesstant - thank you for the list of my future skiing friends...though I've mostly skied alone it would be fun to have some company for a change.

So glad I found this site and all you friendly helpful gals...
Wonderful!!!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pammy, That is great news, and will be a tremendous boost for the commencement of a safe, fun ski season!

If you find skis during the demo process and decide to purchase you will probably get a pretty fair deal at Start Haus.
But...if you are wanting to surf through E-bay there is nothing wrong with that. Many retailers (including Start Haus) sell on E-bay as well. Maine Ski Lady mentioned this to you earlier.

Personally, I have sold every pair of skis previously owned on E-bay. All of them were in top-notch shape with very few days of use. Because I do not reside in a convenient region for lots of demo opportunities I have bought several skis and tried them "long-term". Whatever you do, just have patience with yourself through the processes and enjoy the adventure.:tongue:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna