• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots that fit! Buy or Wait?

Jilly

Staff member
Small boots are hard to find any time of year. So if you're going somewhere with good fitters, I would at spending some time and money on new boots.

It doesn't sound like you tried on the 21.5. And you did say that the 22.5 were "comfortable". That has me thinking....a little too big.

You can always make a too small boot bigger, but not the other way around.

Go try on some 21.5's. Don't worry about the BSL. You'll be skiing more and you'll need new skis!!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Small boots are hard to find any time of year. So if you're going somewhere with good fitters, I would at spending some time and money on new boots.

It doesn't sound like you tried on the 21.5. And you did say that the 22.5 were "comfortable". That has me thinking....a little too big.

You can always make a too small boot bigger, but not the other way around.

Go try on some 21.5's. Don't worry about the BSL. You'll be skiing more and you'll need new skis!!
I agree, and would add that rather than ordering something online that may or may not be a perfect fit, it's better to find a good bootfitter and buy there - they will then include all of the necessary adjustments to your insole and shell in the original fitting, whereas if you order online and need an adjustment, you'll have to take it somewhere and pay for it. I know that The Boot Doctors (Telluride & Taos) will provide any needed adjustments for free on any boot you bought from them for as long as you own the boot. I'm assuming that other bootfitters offer the same service.

There is a list somewhere in the Forum that lists good bootfitters all over the country.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am currently in a 23.5 and measured at right under a 22.5! The bootfitter suggested that given my current skill level the 22.5's would be a comfortable fit (which they were), but also suggested that as I improve, I could consider looking at 21.5s.

I liked the 22.5 S/Max's I tried on and found them comfortable out of the box,
"Comfortable out of the box" may be a problem. I think you also said they are easy to slip your feet into. My alarms are going off, because you sound like you have fallen in love with skiing and want to improve your skills.

Comfort fit - roomy, for infrequent skiers and cautious skiers who are not yet interested in skiing off piste and bumps. There is wobble room in the boots which accounts for the comfort, and often the liners are cushy (fur!!) to emphasize that boots can make feet warm and happy. Because of this the foot's instructions to the skis are transmitted with some lag time. The skier often chooses a comfort fit because a performance fit is perceived as an uncomfortable fit. That is not necessarily true (see below). Boots with a comfort fit are easy to get on, and most recreational skiers have this fit. Skiers with a comfort fit often have to have shims added to their liners after the liners pack out to keep the foot from moving so much in the boot. These shims and the cushy liner itself absorb the small movements of the foot, so those movements are not transmitted to the ski. This can be an advantage if the skier is new and not yet attuned to what their feet are doing. Mistakes aren't transferred to the skis; the boots are "forgiving."

Performance fit - snug in fit, definitely not roomy. For this reason the boot transmits the foot's instructions to the ski well, with no wobble room in there. This fit can be comfortable, but the bootfitter may need to adjust (grind and punch) the shape of the plastic shell to the shape of the foot; the adjustments should be free with purchase. And the bootfitter needs to be used to doing this service, not a new hire or part-time worker in the shop. Skiers with performance fit boots usually buy a custom-fitted footbed as well. Boots with a performance fit are often difficult to get on. The skier needs to know the best way to put the foot into the boot without being pinched, because this process is not self-evident.

Race fit - very tight in all dimensions, in order to transmit the foot's directions immediately to the ski. Race fit boot shells are adjusted to fit the anatomy of the racer's feet (ground and punched, and boot-sole-canted). Race boots are known to be cold because the liners are stiff and thin and they don't offer much insulation. Racers often unbuckle their boots on the lift to give their feet some relief. The immediate transmission of foot movements gives racers extra speed in competition. Boots with a race fit can be difficult to get on. Racers often put the liner on separately, lace it up, and push the foot into the boot with the liner already on. This eliminates the issue of pain from the shell pinching the foot as it is forced in.

There are exceptions, of course.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like Jilly says, it's always easier to make room than to try to take up space in a boot. If the 22.5 Salomons were comfortable that may mean they're gonna pack out and be too roomy too soon or it may mean they're fine. Everyone always says a well fitting boot should feel like a firm handshake. I also think it depends on preference too. I'm always willing to deal with a little extra pressure/tightness to avoid any wiggling/movement sensation in my boots b/c I find that movement unnerving, especially in ungroomed terrain.

Like others have said, I'd try some more boots first if you can; particularly some in a size down to compare fits. Ideally, a good boot fitter would be able to point you in the right direction. And I definitely wouldn't rule out junior race boots at your size. They're definitely a good option and cheaper! I got my current boots for only $250 b/c they were from last year's stock.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW, I have those boots in a 24.5, same flex, and they're currently driving me crazy with the amount of room in the midfoot. I'm trying to work on padding up the instep area as I otherwise like the boots and flex, but if I thought I needed to drop down a size I don't think I'd hesitate to replace them. They're a wide last (100mm) and they fit my buniony forefoot but once the liner packed down, yikes.

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a newbie, too, so please consider my impressions as those of a novice!

I also bought boots from a fitter this season, having learned that rental boots are way too big (wide) for me, and made lessons somewhat frustrating. I tried both the S/Pro 90 and the S/Max 90. The S/Max was a noticeably better fit for my width (96mm) and volume. I could feel the boot hugging my entire foot, whereas with the S/Pro, although my foot didn't move, I could feel space around my instep, and that would have been worse after the liner packed out. In your current boots, are your feet moving front to back, or side to side?

My fitter did switch me from 24.5 (my actual size) in the S/Pro to 25.5 in the S/Max, but I didn't feel an issue with length (heels firmly seated and toes still touched unless flexed). In addition, I think (just my perception - experts, please chime in!) that the addition of custom molded footbeds adds to a snug enough fit that I think even after the liners pack out, the boots will still fit snugly. I should add that my near-term goals are mostly to cruise green and blue groomers, so performance fit isn't as necessary for me :smile:.

By the way, it sounds like you're doing awesome with your progress!
I've now been obsessing about my boots all day, and @floatingyardsale, I got nervous reading your post!

I couldn't figure out why my toes still touch in 25.5 boots. Re-measured my foot unweighted, and foot is 26.5, not 24.5. Fitter tried me in S/Pro at 24.5, and S/Max at 25.5. Former too much room around midfoot/instep, latter snug enough that I could see the imprint of thin wool socks all around my foot when I took the boots off after about an hour, which sounds firm-handshake-ish, yes?

But enough hijacking the thread :smile:.

Sparky

Angel Diva
I would agree with those that suggest you should get new boots sooner than later, as well as an insole. And also that, at a whole size too big (if not more) and prob too wide a last, all the shims probably won’t help even temporarily. I had the same problem after my first two seasons skiing and eventually just had to get new boots (23.5 to 22.5).

And btw, when you say you got fitted at the end of last year, if you mean late 2021, then I would actually take those boots back and have them refit you or give you a refund. You shouldn’t have to eat the cost of boots that you were “fitted” into incorrectly!

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Chiming in since I was in a similar boat as you! I measured as a 21.5 but absolutely hated the junior race boots and the Dalbello 21.5 I tried on. I think my right foot is particularly hard to fit because that leg turns outward a little bit - I'm basically half-duckfooted :noidea: so all the 21.5 size boots caused a weird burning sensation in that leg. But anyway I ended up with a low volume 22.5 and have been really happy with it, although the stock liner did pack out eventually and the shop added "baninis" which worked like a charm. I've heard the Tecnica low volume is one of the smallest 22.5 boots out there, so maybe you can find a shop that stocks them to try on? They seem to be a popular brand.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
@chasinghorizons what are baninis?!

I had boots that were too big shimmed for a trip to get me through the end of a season as inventory was low late in the season. As a hard to fit 22.5 I would would be willing to shim to wait for better inventory options, but if you can get a good boot I would get it as soon as you can. I remember being intimidated by stiffer boots. I learned the hard way through wasted money. Focus on getting the best fitting boot and not on how performance oriented or not it is. it may seem higher level than you feel you are now, but you’ll improve quickly with it.

flyingsquirrel

Certified Ski Diva
@liquidfeet + @tinymoose - I really do want to improve! The 22.5s I tried on felt like a firm handshake in the instep and solid in the heel, but I definitely had some toe wiggle room that the bootfitter said he was pretty comfortable with if the rest fit. Funnily, part of the reason I didn't like the Langes I tried on was because of the fur - admittedly initially because it just looked odd to me, but it was fun to see your comment on comfort fit.

For now - I have a second pair of S/Pros in a 23.5 that have not packed out yet and will continue wearing them for day trips (lil hill in the midwest with probably 14 blue / black runs total). My hope is that the next time I'm in a real ski area (likely Telluride, Park City, or various Vermont mountains), I'll be able to make an appointment with a well regarded bootfitter and try on a few more pairs in different sizes.

Since I know it's tough to find boots in smaller sizes (especially a 21.5), I'll likely also set a very small budget (have seen older models for around $150!!) to pick up a pair of 22.5s online or get a shim put in if I start feeling like I'm swimming in the other pair of boots I have before the season is completely over. I'd definitely prefer to not to do this and be able to see a bootfitter and find something that works sooner rather than later, but would probably be okay with a small purchase so I can keep improving in the mean time.

@edelweissmaedl - I'd love to hear a bit more on your thoughts on stiffer boots! I would definitely feel comfortable trying on boots with flexes higher than 90 (especially since flex isn't standardised), but I know it's quite strength based. Do you think there's a point where they really are just too stiff? I feel that I can definitely get stronger, but likely won't gain enough weight to make a significant difference in being able to ski 110/120 flexes comfortably, but I'm definitely not an expert.

@Sparky - I did purchase the other boots in late 2021 but decided to just eat the cost and gift them to a friend that actually measures a 23.5 and could get some use out of them while she's in school as her last pair just completely disintegrated.

This has been so so helpful (plus now I really want to see a picture of Nini Banini)

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
@flyingsquirrel there is a strength component to flex, but at least for some anatomy also plays a part. My current bootfitter noted that I couldn't bend my Atomic hawx ultra 95's and while still in the phase of trying to salvage those he even cut the spine to try and make them softer/help me flex which really didn't end up helping. I am 5'3" and weight 110/115 so a little bigger than you but not by much. My mind was swimming, if I couldn't flex my 95 why should I think I could handle a 110 flex race boot or a plug boot (also had been a consideration)? Well I decided to trust my bootfitter and went with a race boot in 110 flex. I could flex it better straight away than I ever had those 95's and he didn't even take any bolts out. It was a journey, but I have moved past overthinking flex numbers and I will gladly try on anything my bootfitter thinks is best. I can finally progress in my skiing because I can think about my technique instead of constantly being distracted by feeling my feet float around inside my boot.

I was was up at the bootfitter's last week and had my dad along who was thinking about boots. He wears a 24.5 (the least common guy size and most common female size). They put him in a 24.5 in 120 flex and it was too stiff for him (he's 70 and not going to increase in agressiveness), but they didn't have anything in around a 100 flex in his size. They said as much and we went to another well regarded shop in town and luckily they had something that was a good match for him. That's what you want. Someone who is going to sell you a match or be willing to send you elsewhere where you can find the right boots for your feet.

You can make a small boot bigger and a stiff boot softer, but there is only so much you can do to make the wrong boot for your foot work.

westcoast21

Certified Ski Diva
Hard little banana-shaped pieces they stuck on my liners lol. My heels began moving around a lot in my boots when the liner started packing out - this kept them stationary again.

My guinea pig Neo has now also been renamed Nini Banini.
:jumphappy:
oh this is so helpful! I need a couple pairs of these 'baninis'! You got them from your boot fitter or...??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga