• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boots! flex and more, ex racer, thoughts?

JustineJK

Diva in Training
Hi All, I am really struggling with my new ski boots. Struggling because I have a high-volume foot with narrow heel, I am used to a stiff boot. My shell size is 23.5 but there are very few women's boots that are stiff. I bought some Salomon Pro with the Boa at 105 with a footbed insert. I just took them out and I had cramping at the bottom of my foot, felt the heel was really high and the angle to far forward as well as too much flex. Yikes! Can't go to a men's boot because my shell size is too small.
I am an old racer with 10 year old Langes that were very customized - pre-baking, but molded inserts, punched out toe and a bit of cant for left foot - for a straight knee drop. The boot is packed out clearly (10 years hahaha), the seal is gone.

Ideas? Advice? Will I get used to the forward tilt?

mustski

Angel Diva
Paging @SnowHot to the hotline! She is an outstanding boot fitter and has also been a beta tester for much of the new BOA technology. There could be a lot more going on here than flex.

ETA … welcome! Gear brings of us here for the first time. Where are you located?

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
Hi All, I am really struggling with my new ski boots. Struggling because I have a high-volume foot with narrow heel, I am used to a stiff boot. My shell size is 23.5 but there are very few women's boots that are stiff. I bought some Salomon Pro with the Boa at 105 with a footbed insert. I just took them out and I had cramping at the bottom of my foot, felt the heel was really high and the angle to far forward as well as too much flex. Yikes! Can't go to a men's boot because my shell size is too small.
I am an old racer with 10 year old Langes that were very customized - pre-baking, but molded inserts, punched out toe and a bit of cant for left foot - for a straight knee drop. The boot is packed out clearly (10 years hahaha), the seal is gone.

I’m not a boot fitter, but I do wear Lange Jr race SC 90 flex, because my foot is too small for adult boots. My shell is 22.5, I’m an advanced intermediate who skis many days a year atWhiteface, and I love, love them! Why not go to a Lange race boot? These are the best boots I’ve ever skied.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Ugh.
I am a bootfitter with a low volume foot, but a bunion that requires some work, as well as canting.

I always say its easier to make room in a boot than take up volume if it's too big.
I have a ton of ankle ROM so I like a 120ish flex boot and have thorougly enjoyed the K2 Anthem Pro boot which I have recommended to other women in my situation.

Also, consider the Atomic Hawx 115/120 XTD BOA Boot. That thing has a serious heel hold while offering some versatilty for customizing the forefoot and BOA tech so you can figure it out.

Another option is the LANGE Shadow which I also have some experience in.
Nice volume in the forefoot for the generous forefoot but still has heel hold.
I'm also skiing that in a 115 flex. Nice boot.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since you mention all the mods needed on your previous boots, I’m assuming you also went to a bootfitter for your new ones? In that case my advice would be to call your bootfitter to discuss your issues with the boots. If you didn’t for one reason or another, maybe make an appointment now and bring your new boots in to see what they advise. Better to get the right boot than to suffer with the wrong one. What’s the boot version of happy wife, happy life?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since you mention all the mods needed on your previous boots, I’m assuming you also went to a bootfitter for your new ones? In that case my advice would be to call your bootfitter to discuss your issues with the boots. If you didn’t for one reason or another, maybe make an appointment now and bring your new boots in to see what they advise. Better to get the right boot than to suffer with the wrong one. What’s the boot version of happy wife, happy life?
As an ex racer I'm guessing she's had some extensive bootfitting over the years.
The key for most ex racers is finding a fit that's snug enough for performance while allowing the feet to relax a bit and not deal with a race fit for recreational skiing. delicate balance.

JustineJK

Diva in Training
Hi All, Thanks for your advice. I did EVOs fit guarantee so can go back and exchange, but need to keep within their inventory. I think there are two issues that I am having trouble separating. I felt pretty good about the bootfitter, until I skied the Salomon Supra he fitted and now, not so sure.

1) The stiffer boots / touring boots seem to be more angled along with a lift in the heel vs. a more upright stance. So, they really ski differently to me. I feel sloppy and without control.
2) Volume on the top of my foot is always an issue and though I had Langes, not a good fit and hard to modify to get there. Same with the Salomon Supra 115 (touring model). If I go to high volume boots, I cannot get my heel locked in as volume is everywhere.

I'm considering trying the Atomic Blackhawks or K2s, but they do seem to have more forward angle even if I can get a stiffer boot. Perhaps I just have to figure out how to adjust how I ski (Okay HAHAHA! I'm 52 and how I do ski was pretty much banged into me over more training and many, many years, so I don't feel hopeful on that one)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi All, Thanks for your advice. I did EVOs fit guarantee so can go back and exchange, but need to keep within their inventory. I think there are two issues that I am having trouble separating. I felt pretty good about the bootfitter, until I skied the Salomon Supra he fitted and now, not so sure.

1) The stiffer boots / touring boots seem to be more angled along with a lift in the heel vs. a more upright stance. So, they really ski differently to me. I feel sloppy and without control.
2) Volume on the top of my foot is always an issue and though I had Langes, not a good fit and hard to modify to get there. Same with the Salomon Supra 115 (touring model). If I go to high volume boots, I cannot get my heel locked in as volume is everywhere.

I'm considering trying the Atomic Blackhawks or K2s, but they do seem to have more forward angle even if I can get a stiffer boot. Perhaps I just have to figure out how to adjust how I ski (Okay HAHAHA! I'm 52 and how I do ski was pretty much banged into me over more training and many, many years, so I don't feel hopeful on that one)
From your description, you may consider the Lange Shadow 115 boot.
That has a higher instep area and nice heel hold but with a comfy forefoot.

Another option is the K2 Anthem. Again, its another boot that has a generous forefoot but locked in heel hold.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga