• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Book Review: The Next 15 Minutes

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey you skier-bookworms,
The Next 15 Minutes is a poignant and honest book by Kim Kircher, a snow patroller at Crystal Mountain, WA. She writes about her experiences in her patrol work and her husband's grave struggle with liver disease. Kim's courage and gutsiness at laying her life and emotions bare to readers were amazing. Her descriptions of patroller work made me do an internal shiver with how gnarly it sounded but also how exciting it must be. Not a light-hearted book, but interesting and well-written (never mind the typos in the text). I highly recommend it, 5 out of 5 stars for me.

Related link: https://kimkircher.com/2011/10/01/book-launch-day/

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you should post this: I'll be posting a review of her book on my blog, either Monday or Tuesday.

BTW, Kim is a Ski Diva. :smile:

Kim Kircher

Certified Ski Diva
Yea. Thanks for the shoutout Vicki. I'm thrilled that you liked the book. I've been in the midst of a worldwind of promotion. You, Wendy, must know what that's all about. As a newbie it feels exciting and new, and yet my fingers are crossed that the book actually sells. What a far cry from ski patrolling is authoring a book. In fact, I'm eagerly anticipating snowfall so I can get back to the world where I'm most comfortable.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ +1 – Not only to support a fellow diva----but Sugarloaf is now operated (since fall 2007) by Boyne Resorts, and we all here have “ties” to the Kircher family. Healing thoughts and wishes to your DH.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Kim, I'll be ordering your book today. It sounds like a wonderful and uplifting read. Best of luck to both of you. :grouphug:

And BTW, your video preview is fantastic. :clap:

Ski Bunny in Training

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Kim.

I actually live in Petoskey. I grew up skiing at the Highlands and the Mountain. I didn't know you wrote a book, I will definitely look for it the next time I'm in town. Glad to hear your husband is doing well.

Kim Kircher

Certified Ski Diva
What a small world Ski Bunny! I will actually be at Boyne Mt. in January for a book signing. Would love to connect with another Diva. I just read a winter forecast for Northern Michigan. Looks like you all are expecting a harsh winter. Good news for skiers.

Ski Bunny in Training

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd love to meet you. I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind.

I am definitely looking forward to a lot of snow. I actually lived down south for the last eight years (don't ask me why, I no longer remember) and got out of skiing. I moved back this past December and just started to get back into skiing. I'm teaching my daughter to ski, she is 5 and loves it. She is doing really well too. We had her on Hemlock a couple times last season. She didn't strictly fall, she was snowplowing so hard that her butt was only about five inches from the surface of the snow anyway and just kind of sat down a time or two. Guess her legs needed a little rest.

Ski Bunny in Training

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah. Mine were so sore a couple days after slowly meandering down the hill with her following behind. I'm hoping to get out at least once a week on my own so I can hit it harder and build my skills back up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well my interest is definitely piqued! Thanks for the review as well Ski Diva, I'll def be reading this in the near future.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Kim,

Just wanted to say that I finished your book today, and absolutely loved it. You're a very talented writer, thank you for sharing your inspiring story.

Great to hear that your hubby is doing so well!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga