• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard skis?

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have toured around to a few ski shops here, and Blizzard is very prominent. I know some of you divas like the Black Pearls, but what about other Blizzard models? Any experience or just general knowledge about them?

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the bushwackers, they are the male version of the black pearls tho so not able to offer a new slant sorry.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have toured around to a few ski shops here, and Blizzard is very prominent. I know some of you divas like the Black Pearls, but what about other Blizzard models? Any experience or just general knowledge about them?

the viva 7.6 was a BLAST for my style skiing.. lots of turns down the fall line, fast, very easy to carve.
the BP is glorious if there is 'snow' to play in. On hard pack (eastern) BP's are more work.. we have a demo day coming up 2/21 so will try some other blizzards and report back. the flipcore technology is amazing.. do try some!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Viva 7.6 and a the Bushwackers. Love them both. Hope to get my son on a pair of 8.5 Ti next week.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have the 7.6 and Black Pearls, though the 7.6 are more my rock skis now because I usually want to ski the black pearls as much as possible! :smile:.

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Viva 7.4 (the 2 mm didn't make much difference to me when I bought them and they were $100 less than the 7.6). I love them. They are what got me going again after many years away! They are feeling short for me now, and I have progressed a ton in the last couple of seasons, so have to figure out what's next!

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have the Blizzard 7.6 Viva and love them. They laugh at death cookies and take me where ever I want to go. good at speed too. In fact, I like them so much that the pair I am using is my second pair. I wore out the first pair!

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Blizzard 8.1, the Blizzard jr race skis and the Bushwacker(men's version of the black pearl). I love all of them. The race skis are a blast, the Bushwackers are easy turning and way fast and the viva 8.1 are my short radius skis so they are great in crowds.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
frenchgirl, I was looking at the Blizzard GS Magnesium JR race ski for my dd. I have heard they are very stiff from one person. I think you NEED stiff to race..do they bend for you?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you NEED stiff to race..
Yes and no. You need stiff to get good edge hold on the ice that every race course eventually becomes and to get good rebound into the next turn, but too stiff will punish every single little mistake, making the racer slower rather than faster and even launching the racer right off the race course in some situations.

My suggestion is to err on the side of softer, especially for a developing racer and/or one without serious weight/muscles.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not find them very stiff, but they are a bit stiffer than my Viva 8.1. I have the Magnesium GS junior race in 163cm. The coach suggested a junior race for me due to my weight(115 pounds). If she races I would ask the coach and see what he says.

mustski

Angel Diva
DH skis the magnum 8.1 and loves them! I plan to demo both the Viva 8.0 and the Magnum 8.0 to compare them. Of course, I just took my Volkl AC3's in for a stone grind and if they come back to where I love ... then I won't be shopping for a front side ski just yet.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My suggestion is to err on the side of softer, especially for a developing racer and/or one without serious weight/muscles.

When you get into racing stiffness becomes desirable, but volklgirl is right. I think too many times the softness needed for a younger racer to learn how to race is overlooked. Right now my 12 yo, who is just shy of 130 lbs and is 5'4" and growing, is looking at getting into an adult race ski because of her height and weight. I have some doubts about her being able to flex a stiff adult race ski, but her coach has said she should have it. I worry that the stiffness will interfere with her learning proper technique.

The Blizzard Magnesium Jr is stiffer than the standard Blizzard Jr, I believe (haven't done too much research into it, but I thought Blizzard still had a non-magnesium jr racer). The standard jr racer would still be a good race ski.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boyfriend just got the Magnum 8.0 CA and he loves them. They have Flipcore, and are very similar to the Viva 8.0s. I really want to try them out!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My dd is 85 lbs..and she had a race this weekend. She did ok, but not as well as we had expected her to do based on past performance. I have been thinking her ski is too stiff for her because she isn't bending it like she used to last year..she went from a 135 GS to a 151 SL…well, after just talking with one of her coaches about her skis, he asked me what BOOT she is skiing. When I told him what boot she is using he said NO WAY…she is racing on the Technica women's attiva Pro Race boot..it has a flex of 100. He said that is WAYYYYY too much boot for her at 85 lbs. I have been saying for weeks to the coach that something is off with her skiing..last year she used to look so graceful and at ease..this year, she looks tentative and more "back seat" and as if she skis were riding her. I WISH these questions were answered when I brought them up weeks ago. Grrrrrrrr..so, now, we have a SL race this weekend and she will ski on her Atomic SL 140s..she loves those skis, but I have to figure out what I am going to do about her boots. He said if she can't keep the ankle flexed throughout the turn, it is going to be hard for her to control ANY skis. I spoke to my boot fitter and he told me to bring the boots in and that he can soften them, but I asked him to hold aside a pair of JR race boots just in case I want to start over.

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel your pain! We all know these things (flex, boots) can make such a difference in our skiing, and yet they seem to get the least attention in racers. I would love it if young racers could DEMO! Race skis have different flexes, so you'd think the kids would benefit by demoing and getting in a ski that suits their ability level. Instead, we just buy whatever is sold, as if they just learn to work it regardless. We had some racers with boot flex issues last year. Training time seemed wasted until they figured out their boots, adn they bought them from the shop that cooperated with the race team. I FEEL YOUR FRUSTRATION!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Speaking of the Black Pearl, have you guys seen the top sheet for the 2013-14 model? So nice! https://www.skinet.com/skiing/articles/sia-preview-skis

I like these alot better than the current model graphic that's for sure, but I don't think anything will ever compare to the Bulls for me. I know you either hate or love the bulls, but to me they epitomize the ski as a kind of badass shouldn't be able to do what it does, seriously awesome, but still a sparkly/girly kind of ski. I love my bulls, but that's just my humble opinion! :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like these alot better than the current model graphic that's for sure, but I don't think anything will ever compare to the Bulls for me. I know you either hate or love the bulls, but to me they epitomize the ski as a kind of badass shouldn't be able to do what it does, seriously awesome, but still a sparkly/girly kind of ski. I love my bulls, but that's just my humble opinion! :smile:

Me too! I'm so glad I got the bulls!

teppaz

Angel Diva
I like the bulls too, wish Blizzard kept them for the women's line -- I see the Bonafide still has them. I'd like to buy a pair of skis before this season ends, and if I end up picking the Black Pearls I'd have to get over the current top sheet. What's up with that fake wood thing in the middle anyway? It's like bad 1970s rec-room panelling!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga