• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Black Pearl skis good for moguls?

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone. Since my boots were so sloppy, I decided to talk a bootfitter to see if anything can be done about my boots. I went to a place in Frisco, CO. The guy was very knowledgeable but said that since my heels were so small, my toes have bunions, and I broke my big toe at the knuckle years ago and it's large and painful, that after trying on his smallest boots with low cuffs for large low calves, that I would probably need a junior's racing boot with a lower volume. He sent me to a place that sells jr racing boots at Loveland ski area.......

Does this sound normal to everyone?

I'm definitely not a "boot fitter expert" butI am a big believer in the ski boot fit being as, or more important, than what ski you use- especially for bumps and trees because you have to be able to turn/respond quickly. I have narrow heels as well. I also ended up in a Junior Racing boot and went with the Lange RS 90 so the flex is much more forgiving than many race boots and pretty comfy. I'm 5'31/2" and ~115 so not much bigger than many race kids so maybe this is why it works for me too so they might not be the boot for you- the point being is that keep looking though. When I'm putting them on the first day of the season it is pretty much a comedy scene out of Cinderella but I get better at it and the shell gets a little more flexible (especially with some warming) as I use them more. Once they are on it's a perfect fit and I don't even need thick socks to stay warm. My shins took a little time to get used to them as they fit differently but don't even notice them now. I don't need to crank any buckles down ever because they just fit.

I think the need to put a boot on that you can slide into easily is nice for people with perfect feet, or those who just want to cruise, or are lucky enough (or only want to) ski perfect snow but once you want/need some performance and "quickness" a boot that fits really well will matter and that might mean some awkwardness/discomfort at first until you break them in (or, more accurately- they break you in). Obviously there's a limit to what discomfort is reasonable so I'm not saying you should live endlessly in pain, I'm just saying many people expect perfect ease of putting their boot on/off on the day of purchase so they might choose a bigger shell than ideal?

One disclaimer- If you find a better fitting boot, and your bindings aren't fairly adjustable, you might find you need to move your bindings as your new shell size is smaller.

Last edited:

Happy Carol

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Carolb. Maybe the liners just have to break in. I can only get in a run or two in a day before I have to stop for the day, it hurts that badly. I'm about to lose my left big toenail after skiing maybe since skiing in the new boots. The boot fitter doesn't know what else to do to help. He suggested that I try the Fischer vacuum fit boots, which I did, but even after two times of vacuuming the shell with the liner in as well as a smaller lining to make the shell fit tighter, the boot volume was way too big, regardless of what liner I put in it to ski in.
Strangely, I took the liner out of the Fischer boots and put them into the Lange and it seemed to work better than the standard Lang liner that came with it. My toes still hurt badly. To keep heel tight, I have to crank down on the buckles, which causes the right foot to completely fall asleep. The bootfitter put some sort of pad around my heel t tighten the heel up but it pushes the foot forward more, shoving the toes back into the end of the boot.
I'm in Red Cliff right now and about to drive to Vail to test the latest thing done to the boots. I'm about ready to give up. Every bootfitter that I've gone to says that they can't find a mor performance boot for me because of my huge calves and extremely small and narrow heels, even if the boots were modified.
On a positive note, I'm flying into Bar Harbor in three weekends to ski at Sugarloaf. Never skied on the east coast and they are getting snow, something that we just aren't seeing much any of lately. It's been over 40 degrees here on the slopes. Road trip!!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Thanks Carolb. Maybe the liners just have to break in. I can only get in a run or two in a day before I have to stop for the day, it hurts that badly. I'm about to lose my left big toenail after skiing maybe since skiing in the new boots. The boot fitter doesn't know what else to do to help. He suggested that I try the Fischer vacuum fit boots, which I did, but even after two times of vacuuming the shell with the liner in as well as a smaller lining to make the shell fit tighter, the boot volume was way too big, regardless of what liner I put in it to ski in.
Strangely, I took the liner out of the Fischer boots and put them into the Lange and it seemed to work better than the standard Lang liner that came with it. My toes still hurt badly. To keep heel tight, I have to crank down on the buckles, which causes the right foot to completely fall asleep. The bootfitter put some sort of pad around my heel t tighten the heel up but it pushes the foot forward more, shoving the toes back into the end of the boot.
I'm in Red Cliff right now and about to drive to Vail to test the latest thing done to the boots. I'm about ready to give up. Every bootfitter that I've gone to says that they can't find a mor performance boot for me because of my huge calves and extremely small and narrow heels, even if the boots were modified.
On a positive note, I'm flying into Bar Harbor in three weekends to ski at Sugarloaf. Never skied on the east coast and they are getting snow, something that we just aren't seeing much any of lately. It's been over 40 degrees here on the slopes. Road trip!!
Wait it out for the technica boots for 2018. I saw a boot molded to fit a wide calf and it was INCHES apart from the same size fitted to a regular calf. Exciting new technology.
https://www.tecnicausa.com/hl-cas/

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone tried adding heel lifts for you?? That will help tighten the ankle area, pull your toes back from the end of the toe box, AND get your calf up out of the boot cuff. They're definitely not for everyone, but it may be a solution for you. You can give this a try yourself, without going to a fitter, by folding up some paper towel or napkins and putting them in the heel area in the bottom of your boot shells (under your liners). If it helps AT ALL, then have the fitter put real ones in.

I've tried skiing without heel lifts, but my ankle bone to bottom of heel length is so small the bottom of my ankle bones bang on the bottom edges of the boots' ankle pockets and it hurts like a b*tch, plus my calf is large and low, so my circulation gets cut off.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I also ended up in a Junior Racing boot and went with the Lange RS 90 so the flex is much more forgiving than many race boots and pretty comfy. I'm 5'31/2" and ~115 so not much bigger than many race kids so maybe this is why it works for me too so they might not be the boot for you- the point being is that keep looking though.
i got the same boot as you and i'm similar to your stats 5'4" and about 120 lbs! i just posted in this other Lange thread.

i'm also looking for a mogul ski and i was advised on black pearl but it's good to re-read all this advice.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got black pearls, and while I am not a mogul skier, I was impressed by how they do in moguls. I usually prefer slopes where I can bomb it, but I have been having a lot of fun with these in the bumps, which was not something I sought out before. They are zippy in the tight turns, and the edge hold is good. I have the Lange lv rx 110s, 5'1, 125lbs.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello everyone. Does anyone know if the Blizzard Black Pearls are a good option for me, as I want to get better in moguls and trees? I currently ski the 149cm Volkl Kenjas. They are very stable in crud, fast on the groomers, and hold an edge like crazy, but they are so stiff that I just can't handle them in the moguls. I'm 5'2", 138lbs, aggressive advanced intermediate who loves the big bowls and the groomers but I want to get better on the moguls, which I'm not very good at. I can't make a quick short turn on the Kenjas. Does anyone have any suggestions on a softer ski that will help me work on moguls without getting thrown around too bad? And are 149cm skis too short for me, even at 138lbs, 5'2"?

Wow, we are soooo similar. I ski 163 kenjas, am aggressive advanced, and also had trouble with them in the moguls. Am loving the black pearls for playfulness in moguls and trees. They don't have the legendary kenja edge hold when you want to rip down some icy steeps, but I feel like they have already helped me level up in moguls after only 3 days. They don't fight you like the kenjas can when you try to force them to turn smaller then they want.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga