• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Black Pearl skis good for moguls?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I skied the BPs (88s) today-next year's model, and LOVED them. A bit more stout yet still VERY playful, different tip shape, held turns really well. Conditions were HIDEOUS. Rain and the manky slush it brings down low, and dense creamy snow on top. REALLY fun ski. Hoping to get on them again tomorrow. Might be pulling the trigger on buying a pair if I don't find something else that knocks my socks off. (The new Sheeva--yahoo! Super fun, but not what I'm in the market for.)
Did you get a chance to try the Black Pearl 98's?

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the Blizzard Cheyenne in bumps. It's a little narrower than the Black Pearls, which I also have. I ski at Winter Park.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
HI @Happy Carol welcome to the forum. I tested both the Kenja and the Black Pearl because I too wanted to progress to moguls and trees. I bought the black pearl because it is easier to turn, but perhaps not enough for investment away from the Kenja. But it wasn't until I bought new boots two weeks ago that actually locked my ankles and toes in that I got true responsiveness from them. I'd try to see a bootfitter first and check out your fit on that left boot or maybe just tighten it up? I found that my foot was moving to do the turn, but moved inside the boot first, then would finally engage the ski. So those few seconds in delay of my foot sloshing around ever so slightly in the boot really affected the responsiveness of the skis. That being said. I would think that your kenjas would still do fine in moguls for the price tag of a new pair of BPs. I'd spend the money on a bootfitter first, because hindsight is always 20/20.

Happy Carol

Certified Ski Diva
Thank so much everyone. Hi Artistinsuburbia. I had my boots, Zip Fit liners, and insole fitted for me at Le Feet lab in Winter Park. Problem is that my foot still sloshes around badly. I went back to Le Feet Lab and they put in more cork into the liner, but it didn't help. I've gone to them probably eight or so times over the past three years about this problem but each time, they either just put more cork in or move the cork around. I have the Dalbello Lotus boots as I have a 17"+ calf. My heels are tiny and my toe area is wide. The Dalbellos were the only boots that fit my calves. I put on thicker socks a few weeks ago, which helped some, but not entirely. I have tried to tighten the buckles but my insoles collapse or my feet start to go to sleep. Sort of a catch 22. I've had these boots, liner, and custom insole for about 6 years or so. It's very frustrating. At one point, I even had to just grip my toes inside of my boots just to keep my feet from sloshing in the boots. Not sure what to do to fix this problem. And the boots are the correct size per Le Feet Lab. I wonder if this sloshiness is part of my problem. Not sure that I can afford new boots and liner socks right now.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome, @Happy Carol! The Volkl Yumi is a more playful ski than the Kenja and would be better in bumps. Some might think it narrow for Colorado, but it depends on what you like to ski when you're not on the bumps. I would try it in the 150s.

Demoing several skis in one day to get a firsthand feel for what you like is $ well spent IMO.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

Jilly

Staff member
I would be finding a new boot fitter. There are lots of boots out there that will fit. Everyone makes a large calf boot for women. Sounds to me that the "last" width is too big. Adding cork is not fixing the problem.

Last edited:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Black Pearls are good in moguls, but the Cheyenne is a little better because its the same construction but narrower.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Thank so much everyone. Hi Artistinsuburbia. I had my boots, Zip Fit liners, and insole fitted for me at Le Feet lab in Winter Park. Problem is that my foot still sloshes around badly. I went back to Le Feet Lab and they put in more cork into the liner, but it didn't help. I've gone to them probably eight or so times over the past three years about this problem but each time, they either just put more cork in or move the cork around. I have the Dalbello Lotus boots as I have a 17"+ calf. My heels are tiny and my toe area is wide. The Dalbellos were the only boots that fit my calves. I put on thicker socks a few weeks ago, which helped some, but not entirely. I have tried to tighten the buckles but my insoles collapse or my feet start to go to sleep. Sort of a catch 22. I've had these boots, liner, and custom insole for about 6 years or so. It's very frustrating. At one point, I even had to just grip my toes inside of my boots just to keep my feet from sloshing in the boots. Not sure what to do to fix this problem. And the boots are the correct size per Le Feet Lab. I wonder if this sloshiness is part of my problem. Not sure that I can afford new boots and liner socks right now.

You have a similar problem to me, and new skis did not fix the problem, but fixing the slushiness did. I was shocked how turny, and responsive the skis were. So much it took five or six runs to get used to it as it tripped me up at times. Turns tightened up instantly and were quicker. With my old boots, as well as with my previous attempts, I couldn't tighten the ankle enough without cutting off circulation to the toes. I have a super narrow ankle and heel but a more normal to wider toe/ball of foot. So if I tightened down to the last notch with the buckles move to their tightest option, I still had movement, and couldn't feel my toes, at all, painfully so. See the following thread if you are interested in what worked for me. They have a really narrow heel pocket and a wider last. Calf adjustments as well, not sure though if they would fit your specifications though as my calf is only 14.5". But they adjust up and down to make them more comfortable to sit slightly below the calf. You may want to try it on at least and see how it compares. This boot is winning all kinds of fit awards this year, straight out of the box. https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/lange-sx90-boots.21517/

Edited to add: they were cheaper than the skis...( I used the stock liner, but have sidas footbeds in them.)

Last edited:

Happy Carol

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks everyone. Since my boots were so sloppy, I decided to talk a bootfitter to see if anything can be done about my boots. I went to a place in Frisco, CO. The guy was very knowledgeable but said that since my heels were so small, my toes have bunions, and I broke my big toe at the knuckle years ago and it's large and painful, that after trying on his smallest boots with low cuffs for large low calves, that I would probably need a junior's racing boot with a lower volume. He sent me to a place that sells jr racing boots at Loveland ski area.
The guy there was a young guy who didn't know much about fitting boots. He admitted it. I ended up with the Flange RS 110 racing boot. I went from a 70ish flex on my old boots to a 110 flex with the new ones. I tried skiing the next day and my feet hurt so badly that I barely made it down one run. I decided not to go back to the Loveland shop and went to the person in Frisco to see if he could do something about the new boots. He said that those boots were too tight for me and that it wasn't made for larger calves at all. He said that he could put bump-outs in the boots to try to make them fit better since I had already spent the money on them.

He bumped out the sides where I have bunions and where I broke the toe knuckle years ago. He also did something to the heels so that they fit very tightly (which is the first time that my heels have ever fit in a pair of ski boots). I went skiing the next day, but I only made it down 5 runs. My big toes were very swollen, bruised, and tender at the ends and on top. That's never happened before I bought these boots. And I don't sit back when I ski, either. So I went back to Frisco and the guy bumped out the boots where my big toes are. I can't try them out until this coming Friday, but I'm getting depressed. The positive thing that I can say is that I had much better control in the moguls than I ever had as well as with the short turns. Just need the swelling to go down in my big toes to try the boots out again.

Does this sound normal to everyone?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OUCH! I'm sorry you are having such trouble.. I hope that the Frisco fitter can continue to blow them out.. great he's got your heels fixed so no more slop there!! but Yikes stories like yours are why I have old boots and major fear of getting a new boot that will cause me pain..

I hope the bruising goes down (I use arnica for all my aches) and I hope it gets sorted out so you can enjoy skiing!!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone. Since my boots were so sloppy, I decided to talk a bootfitter to see if anything can be done about my boots. I went to a place in Frisco, CO. The guy was very knowledgeable but said that since my heels were so small, my toes have bunions, and I broke my big toe at the knuckle years ago and it's large and painful, that after trying on his smallest boots with low cuffs for large low calves, that I would probably need a junior's racing boot with a lower volume. He sent me to a place that sells jr racing boots at Loveland ski area.
The guy there was a young guy who didn't know much about fitting boots. He admitted it. I ended up with the Flange RS 110 racing boot. I went from a 70ish flex on my old boots to a 110 flex with the new ones. I tried skiing the next day and my feet hurt so badly that I barely made it down one run. I decided not to go back to the Loveland shop and went to the person in Frisco to see if he could do something about the new boots. He said that those boots were too tight for me and that it wasn't made for larger calves at all. He said that he could put bump-outs in the boots to try to make them fit better since I had already spent the money on them.

He bumped out the sides where I have bunions and where I broke the toe knuckle years ago. He also did something to the heels so that they fit very tightly (which is the first time that my heels have ever fit in a pair of ski boots). I went skiing the next day, but I only made it down 5 runs. My big toes were very swollen, bruised, and tender at the ends and on top. That's never happened before I bought these boots. And I don't sit back when I ski, either. So I went back to Frisco and the guy bumped out the boots where my big toes are. I can't try them out until this coming Friday, but I'm getting depressed. The positive thing that I can say is that I had much better control in the moguls than I ever had as well as with the short turns. Just need the swelling to go down in my big toes to try the boots out again.

Does this sound normal to everyone?
Yes,

I've gone through many bump outs at my fitter's suggestion. They recommend small incremental changes and multiple returns to the shop to get a boot dialed in (free of charge). I've had five toe bumps and love my boots (and extra toe room). Don't give up yet; I think you are pretty close to a breakthrough if you don't give up.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Yes,

I've gone through many bump outs at my fitter's suggestion. They recommend small incremental changes and multiple returns to the shop to get a boot dialed in (free of charge). I've had five toe bumps and love my boots (and extra toe room). Don't give up yet; I think you are pretty close to a breakthrough if you don't give up.
yeah, what she said. this is my fourth pair of boots in seven years. I'm between sizes so it was either pain and toe bumps or comfort and lack of control. It's a shame that we have to go through so much to find the right fit, I wished you could have tried on more before buying first, but this kind of shell customization really does pay off in the long haul. Ultimately you should return while swollen, so that the bootfitter can see what they are doing to your feet.

edited to add: and the toes might be getting more pressure right now while you are adjusting to a stiffer flex. Really focus on clamping down the ankle and sliding your heels back into that pocket at the top of each run.

Happy Carol

Certified Ski Diva
17" around and Obrules15 - Thanks for the words of encouragement. It isn't free, however, since the guy in Frisco didn't sell the boots to me. He's just modifying boots that the person at Loveland sold to me. I've paid around $110 for him to modify the boots so far. But it's a lot better than going back to Loveland as the person who sold me the boots admitted he has no idea how to modify them to fit me.

I did try on five different boot shells but none fit my large calf. My calf is very low compared to most women, so the boot cuff was too low to go completely around my leg. The closest thing to fitting was the Salomon Xmax, but it didn't hold in my heel at all and the cuff as too high.

And I'll push the heel back into the cup harder like you mentioned at the top of each run. Any idea how to keep from banging them when I ski moguls? I was working on moguls but was slamming the toes hard into the front of the boot. Probably more my bad mogul technique than anything, but that was when most of the bruising occurred. I want to get everything set up so that I can take the mogul class at the end of the month at Winter Park. I really need it.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
17" around and Obrules15 - Thanks for the words of encouragement. It isn't free, however, since the guy in Frisco didn't sell the boots to me. He's just modifying boots that the person at Loveland sold to me. I've paid around $110 for him to modify the boots so far. But it's a lot better than going back to Loveland as the person who sold me the boots admitted he has no idea how to modify them to fit me.

I did try on five different boot shells but none fit my large calf. My calf is very low compared to most women, so the boot cuff was too low to go completely around my leg. The closest thing to fitting was the Salomon Xmax, but it didn't hold in my heel at all and the cuff as too high.

And I'll push the heel back into the cup harder like you mentioned at the top of each run. Any idea how to keep from banging them when I ski moguls? I was working on moguls but was slamming the toes hard into the front of the boot. Probably more my bad mogul technique than anything, but that was when most of the bruising occurred. I want to get everything set up so that I can take the mogul class at the end of the month at Winter Park. I really need it.

My toe issues got fixed with more toe room, not a change in technique, though I do do a lot of heel banging when I put on the boots to make sure my foot /heel is well seated in the pocket.

Happy Carol

Certified Ski Diva
Hello all you fantastic ski divas. Boy, were you all correct! I finally had the new boots fixed and am (almost) pain free with tight, secure heels. It made all the difference in the world. I demoed the BPs and am able to make very nice short and quick turns in moguls. No more sloppy boots! Also, someone mentioned the Volkl Auras - I demoed those as well just for kicks, the 156cm, 2015 model. Wow! I had an absolute blast last weekend! Fun skis! Heavy, though.

Happy Carol

Certified Ski Diva
I actually liked the Auras. We had about 6" or so of new but heavy snow the day before. The longer length never bothered me at all, seemed appropriate. I had to stay on top of the skis and was only thrown back a few times in the tracked out snow bumps. Rode like my Kenjas, so I am used to keeping in the front of my skis. The Auras seemed very stable and busted through anything. My knee was replaced this past may, so the tendons around the knee still are sore from skiing them, though. Still, the Auras were a lot of fun. Reminded me of my Kenjas. Now I wish I had the Kenjas at 156 instead of 149.

Any experience with the Volkl 90eights for women? I like stiffer skis and I've heard that Volkl has made the 90eights as stiff as the kenjas but lighter. It might keep my knees from hurting until they heal completely. A coworker who is ex-ski patrol at Loveland suggested that I demo a Kastle M88 (he may have meant the MX89) Not sure if he was kidding, but I have never skied on the Kastle skis.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually liked the Auras. We had about 6" or so of new but heavy snow the day before. The longer length never bothered me at all, seemed appropriate. I had to stay on top of the skis and was only thrown back a few times in the tracked out snow bumps. Rode like my Kenjas, so I am used to keeping in the front of my skis. The Auras seemed very stable and busted through anything. My knee was replaced this past may, so the tendons around the knee still are sore from skiing them, though. Still, the Auras were a lot of fun. Reminded me of my Kenjas. Now I wish I had the Kenjas at 156 instead of 149.

Any experience with the Volkl 90eights for women? I like stiffer skis and I've heard that Volkl has made the 90eights as stiff as the kenjas but lighter. It might keep my knees from hurting until they heal completely. A coworker who is ex-ski patrol at Loveland suggested that I demo a Kastle M88 (he may have meant the MX89) Not sure if he was kidding, but I have never skied on the Kastle skis.
I demoed the 90Eights last spring and really REALLY liked them, felt like a wider, more maneuverable Kenja (which I skied all last season, the 2016 version.) Super fun ski that I would not be sad if someone gave me a pair :tongue:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga