• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blisters. Any particular treatments for fast healing?

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just got back from 10 days in the mountains. I have two more days before I have to go to work, but I had to leave because I can't ski. Flexing my left foot hurts like hell because I have a big blister right in the middle of the outside ankle bone. I did some fanstastic skiing of which 4 days were on powder days, though I was in too much pain on the fourth day to enjoy it, it was basically a survival battle all the way to the bottom (I realised my mistake of making it to the top once I clicked the skis on and started moving). Must say I got impressed with myself from managing not to fall even that I was so disgustingly out of balance (physically not able to put enough weight on the left ski) and this is while skiing powder when correct balance is the key. Anyway, one gentle off-piste run on a powder day all I could manage on December 31. Now, we have more snow coming this week (it was snowing at the mid-station level when I was leaving this morning) and heavy snow fall is predicted for mid-week and I desperately want to be able to ski it on Saturday.

So any recommendations for treating blisters? Mine is quite raw and the skin in the middle of it is gone, it's like I have a hole in it. It did get smaller, but I want it to disappear and so that I could enjoy the powder....

Jilly

Staff member
A product called moleskin. Not sure about its availability outside NA. Our runners probably have some other ideas.

But get to a boot fitter......something is wrong.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did go to a bootfitter and he supposedly fixed the issue but the blister is already there:( So even if I don't get any new ones, this one still hurts as soon as it's touched even lightly, so you can imagine how it is when I flex my ankle and it comes into contact with the boot. I will check out the moleskin. I realise that the sensitivity will go away once the skin grows back, just want it to grow back faster.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vitamin E. Buy the oral grade capsules and break (puncture) them, using the fluid inside for the wound (under the second skin product would be better yet.)

Our three year son leaned up against an electric skillet a week before his swimming lessons started. With Vitamin E, he was healed on the first day of lessons!

abc

Banned
Well, I never tried it myself so take it with a grain of salt.

But long distance hikers just duct tape their blisters! Apparently, that stops the skin from moving underneath the tape. And since the tape takes the rubbing. It won't get worse either. That's for you want to continue skiing.

If you're not skiing for a few days, I would think it'll heal by itself pretty quickly. Just clean it and leave it alone...

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've used Compeed blister plasters with a lot of success on small blisters and on static areas. They are not so good if you rub across a large area that causes the edges of the plasters to wrinkle up.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As someone with vast experience in treating blisters, I highly recommend the Second Skin that geargrrl linked to. It is not cheap, but it works fabulously. Keep in mind that you will need at least a band-aid, and maybe some athletic tape to keep it in place, but it is well worth it.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all for advice! Will be heading to a pharmacy soon. Going to try Vitamin E and the Second Skin or whatever substitute they might have over here. My mum also suggested I tried Aloe Vera, so will buy a plant too. The duct tape trick didn't work as there is no skin in the middle of the blister, and pain comes not from skin moving around but from direct pressure on that spot, covering it with a duct tape didn't change anything. Hopefully by weekend it will be covered by regrown skin.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought that Second Skin was for blister prevention, and not to be used on open wounds, unless you know something about it that I don't. :noidea:

Whenever I have had a foot wound, the doctor recommended soaking Epsom salts. Mix one cup of Epsom Salts to one gallon of warm water, put it in a bucket and soak your feet for 15 minutes twice a day. The water should be warm, but not hot. After soaking, dry your blister with a clean towel and cover it with a light bandage to allow air to it. You might need an antibiotic cream to keep it from being infected, but you want it to be exposed to air as much as possible.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Second Skin was actually invented to be used for burn treatments. It is most definitely meant to be used on open wounds. You might be thinking of New Skin, which burns like no other if you get it on an open wound!

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Bowling alleys sell a version of it called "X-tra Skin". It burns on contact with a raw spot, but when it is done burning it does provide very good protection.

Also, a little Hydrocortisone might help the skin regenerate more quickly. If you mix the cortisone with a little Neosporin, it will also help prevent infection. I got some infected blisters on my lower leg early last season, and I ended up losing a month of skiing. :mad:

Good luck.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's almost gone! At least it's covered with new skin. I was using Bepanthen Plus and Aloe Vera. It really helped that I didn't have to go to work until yesterday, so I didn't need to have it covered with socks etc. I could see it getting smaller and smaller from the size of a small coing to mearly a dot. I am wearing compeed now and I will wear it while skiin tomorrow - extra protection never hurts. Thank you all again!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Second Skin was actually invented to be used for burn treatments. It is most definitely meant to be used on open wounds. You might be thinking of New Skin, which burns like no other if you get it on an open wound!

Not new skin. On the Spenco site, Second Skin Blister Kit, it says, "Recommended For: Prevention of skin pressure, rubbing, chafing, and blisters. Not to be used on open wounds."

https://www.spenco.com/webview/Tech_Sheets/BlisterKit1.pdf

The moist pads (Geargrrl's link) are for open wounds, though. The blister pads are not.

For those of us without medical training (congratulations again), their website could be better written to avoid confusion.

I'm just glad that her blister is getting better.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh. That's news to me, considering I've been using it on blisters, both open and closed, for over 15 years! Weird. :noidea:

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, a little Hydrocortisone might help the skin regenerate more quickly.

Steroids reduce inflammation but also lower the body's resistance to infection. Hydrocortisone is not a good idea unless this is a highly inflamed, clean, wound over which you have utmost control of dirt and infection. Safer to avoid it.. imho

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh. That's news to me, considering I've been using it on blisters, both open and closed, for over 15 years! Weird. :noidea:
An open blister is like any open wound. The gel, which comes in a waterproof packet and isn't attached to any bandage, is applied directly to the wound, whether it's a blister, abrasion, or whatever. It's particularly good for dry conditions, and is better than ointment at keeping the wound hydrated enough to heal but not soaked, the way it would under a waterproof bandage. If it's bandaged in a way that keeps the gel from moving around it's a great cushion, but when I've used it on an open boot blister, moving around has messed up the gel and often resulted in tape sticking to the wound.

The blister kit has some bandages which (I believe) contain gel for cushioning, but they're adhesive and not intended to be used on wounds. The duct tape idea may be good short-term, but I got blood poisoning the one time I used a non-porous tape over an open blister on my heel. I spent what was supposed to be a hike to Phantom Ranch with friends camping by myself in the National Forest, taking antibiotics and waiting for them to return. :(

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I contacted Spenco and asked about the Blister Kit and Second Skin.

Here is their reply:

Our 2nd Skin® Blister Kit is a non-sterile product meaning that the hydrogel sheets contained in the packaging has not been sterilized. Our 2nd Skin® Moist Burn Pads, which is a different product, are sterile products and may be placed on open wounds.

Hydrogel in general may be used on open wounds, but since the hydrogel sheets in the Blister Kit are not sterile we do not recommend using them on open wounds.

Your application of the Blister Kit is correct (cover the skin infraction with moist pad, adhere the moist pad with adhesive knit or tape). I would recommend cleaning the open wound first with a hydrogen peroxide or Neosporin as our moist pads are compatible with any topical ointment.

Sincerely,
Andrea Jirovsky

Now we know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna