• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Pearl suitable for me?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was beyond impressed with the Wild Joy when I demoed it in the spring. It's a real winner in an amazing variety of conditions.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think @Robyn has one of the wider Joys. Not sure which one. I skied with Lady Salina at WB and she is on a Joy too. Look like great skis. I don't get to demo Head as they are not a ski on the mountain at Tremblant and we don't have the NSIA show anymore where I did get a chance.

Sorry for the late reply. I have the Great Joy and love it. I've skied the Wild Joy and enjoyed it as well but it's too close to my GJ for me to consider for my quiver. When I replace the GJ it will be with another GJ.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have last years B'Pearls and they are fantastic. Yesterday I skied in powder while it was dumping down. I would've given up on my old skinny skies, for sure. These beauties made it easy and they make me a much better skier...I can ski faster and feel in control and don't get thigh burn. It was bliss! They are light and stable and if the new 2018 model has been tweaked for improvement, well even better.

Elf

Diva in Training
Hi everyone!

I hadn't realised that the discussion went on, I just logged in to give some feedback on my new Black Pearls but I see the topic has shifted a bit. Anyway, in case someone has similar questions as I had (see first post), here is my review after skiing 4 times with my new skis:

I am delighted! :-)

Before I continue, let me stress the fact that I moved to the Black Pearl from 15 year old spaghetti skis. So this is not a comparison of BP with other skis of the same league and the advantages I see may well also be true for most other all-mountain skis.

I find myself feeling much more safe on piste, the skis turn without effort and they have great grip on steep and icy pistes (should habe probably sharpened those edges on my old skis ...). "Death cookies" are indeed not a problem and I can ski away in my old drifting style or practice carving :-)

In the beginning I noticed that they vibrate and wondered whether this is because of the shorter length than my old skis, but I think it must be due to the rocker. They also sound louder. Anyway, I quickly stopped paying any attention to this. Mind you, the conditions were not very good, the snow on piste was very hard and at parts icy.

I did get the opportunity to try them on some fresh snow last weekend. It was just a little powder on top of hard snow so even I was able to try some turns. They are so much better than my old skis. Obviously, I do need to practice a lot before I will be able to really ski on powder but turning was much easier and I am confident that I will make progress. They definitely are fun and I enjoyed skiing over little bumps and playing around (which I was reluctant to do before).

I am glad I did not take the shorter skis, they would have been too short for my height. They are still very light. For me they are perfect to use on piste, beside the piste and to start moving on powder.

So, dear divas, thank you very much for your advice that allows me to enjoy this wonderful sport even more!

All the best and happy skiing to all!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is great! I continue to just love skiing mine on everything! The "noise" you are hearing is most likely the carbon as much as anything. I don't even notice it, but I've owned a few other pair of skis with carbon, so I'm used to it. They have very little tip flap (and only on the hardest snow) than previous versions of this ski.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am glad I did not take the shorter skis, they would have been too short for my height. They are still very light. For me they are perfect to use on piste, beside the piste and to start moving on powder.
Glad you are having fun with the BPs!

Skied my old BPs (2012 version) at my local hill last weekend (Massanutten). First day was true hard pack and even seriously icy conditions in the afternoon (on the 2 short blacks) because it was 60 degrees the day before and in the 20s that day. Confirmed my thinking that if I lived in the northeast U.S., I would probably not have chosen those skis as a daily driver. It's been a few since I've used them in that sort of conditions and I'm a better skier than before. My Absolut Joys, at 78 underfoot and 148cm long, are much more appropriate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga