• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Black diamonds are a girl’s best friend

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
That’s right, this year’s ski trip is planned, and the winner is *drum roll, please* Winter Park. Unfortunately though, that means the loser is me, since Mary Jane is going to KICK.MY.ASS. This is a mountain whose motto is, “No Pain. No Jane.” And they mean it. With an elevation of 11,700 feet and a 1,766-foot vertical drop, she hits like a girl… on the Women's US Olympic Boxing Team.

Anyway, since every skier here knows that the term vertical drop refers to the distance between the summit and the base, measured straight down, is it possible I was the only one who didn’t know that sixty percent of Mary’s Jane’s 1,766 feet is expert terrain? If so, how? And why am I always the last to know? Now, thanks to my “I’ll try anything once, unless it kills me, then all bets are off” mantra, I'm officially booked on a non-refundable trip that includes bumps, trees, grade and stupidity… but not necessarily in that order. And that’s the GOOD news.

The bad news is that, if I’m going to survive this, I need to bring my A-game, which is just funny; because, if you know me, then you know that I didn’t even have an A-game when I skied competitively in high school and college. At best I was a B minus... graded on a curve (and NOT even a giant slalom one). At forty-three, now I just bring my F-game, as in “What the F was I thinking?”

That being said, I’m not going to lie, I’m crazy excited (with the emphasis on excited not crazy). I’ve never done Winter Park, but my best friend (TB) has, and she loves it. Me? I love the fact that Mary Jane is named after the local mining camp madam who bought the land in the late 1800s. And, just so we’re all on the same page, I’m not judging. Like I told TB, “If you had to pick between your dignity and your own mountain, what would you call the resort?” Exactly.

On the up note, I told TB I might get a helmet cam this year, just so we can laugh afterwards. It’ll be my magnum opus. Think “Warren Miller meets Jackass.” Admit it, there’s a small part of you that would want to have a glass of wine and watch it with us… With that, I’m off to work out so I don’t die. Note: Any and all skidiva scoop on Winter Park (in general) and Mary Jane (specifically) will be most appreciated, including tips on how to prepare for it. Talk to you later.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL! Some great wordplay here.

Point the first - Winter Park includes Mary Jane, but does not require Mary Jane (of either variety). You can ski a full and rewarding day at Winter Park without ever crossing over to MJ.

BethL

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As bouncewoosh mentions, you'll be fine at Winter Park/Mary Jane. My DH learned to ski at WP last year and has just now moved up to blue terrain. He has yet to make it to the MJ side of the mountain - hopefully next weekend! I started skiing WP/MJ last year, my 3rd year of skiing and love it. I can now do many of the bump runs (you'll find some nice blue/blue-black runs with soft bumps) but the groomers were fun before I started trying the bumps. I love the low key feel of WP/MJ.

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
LOL! Some great wordplay here.

Point the first - Winter Park includes Mary Jane, but does not require Mary Jane (of either variety). You can ski a full and rewarding day at Winter Park without ever crossing over to MJ.

Thank you ma'am, and I know, I know... but I feel like - if I'm there - I need to do it.

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
As bouncewoosh mentions, you'll be fine at Winter Park/Mary Jane. My DH learned to ski at WP last year and has just now moved up to blue terrain. He has yet to make it to the MJ side of the mountain - hopefully next weekend! I started skiing WP/MJ last year, my 3rd year of skiing and love it. I can now do many of the bump runs (you'll find some nice blue/blue-black runs with soft bumps) but the groomers were fun before I started trying the bumps. I love the low key feel of WP/MJ.

Oh, sweet! I had no idea. I honestly thought the moguls would be taller than me... and don't laugh, that's happened. Granted, I'm short... but still!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh lord, no MJ isn't THAT bad! I mean, there are bumps. And if it hasn't snowed in awhile, those bumps can be....feisty, but it's no MRG. What type of terrain do you usually ski and where? Some of us might be able to give you tips on areas to check out.

The difference I would say between MJ and WP is really that the majority of grooming is on the WP side. That doesn't mean all of MJ is bumps, just a lot of the stuff on the 'front side' is bumps (or trees *drool*). The stuff thats kind of 'back side' Jane or in the void between MJ and WP- I can never remember where one technically begins and the other ends- is more ungroomed than legit bumps. Think Pano/Eagle Wind lifts type areas. Pano being the friendliest, as it doesn't have much pitch unless you seek out the more aggressive lines to skiers right of the lift. Not sure if ungroomed vs. bumped up makes it better or worse for you though. :smile:

M Kromd

Certified Ski Diva
Oh lord, no MJ isn't THAT bad! I mean, there are bumps. And if it hasn't snowed in awhile, those bumps can be....feisty, but it's no MRG. What type of terrain do you usually ski and where? Some of us might be able to give you tips on areas to check out.

The difference I would say between MJ and WP is really that the majority of grooming is on the WP side. That doesn't mean all of MJ is bumps, just a lot of the stuff on the 'front side' is bumps (or trees *drool*). The stuff thats kind of 'back side' Jane or in the void between MJ and WP- I can never remember where one technically begins and the other ends- is more ungroomed than legit bumps. Think Pano/Eagle Wind lifts type areas. Pano being the friendliest, as it doesn't have much pitch unless you seek out the more aggressive lines to skiers right of the lift. Not sure if ungroomed vs. bumped up makes it better or worse for you though. :smile:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I like bumps, grade and trees, I just don't like all three of them at once - LOL. I've done most of the big mountains out West, back East and in Canada, but everyone I've talked to has put Winter Park in its own class, especially Mary Jane. I'm excited to know that it's more out of love than fear!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like you will find it right up your alley, then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga