• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Sky, Montana - 1/20 thru 1/24 2014

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for that info. My husband and I tend to be foodies, and prefer to prepare our own meals after skiing. He's an ex-chef and I think cooking is a form of relaxation for him after a day on the slopes. When we're up there I will definitely suggest these places to eat. Also, is there a grocery near the mountain where we can grab a week's worth of foods for our stay in the condo?

Skisailor

Angel Diva
There are 2 grocery stores in the meadow village. Roxys and the Country market. But they are pricey. Most people shop in Belgrade on their way down from the airport if they want to buy for any significant amount of time. Then you can supplement fromRoxys

Skisailor

Angel Diva
In the mountain village mall there is also The Hungry Moose - for last minute items, beer and wine and also - GREAT homemade soups, salads and sandwiches. But again - pricey. If you're going to mostly cook yourselves, I would shop near the airport. There is an Albertson's Food Store in Belgrade right on the main highway that heads down to Big Sky. Then, if you need something here or there - some fresh bread, or veggies or salad fixings, etc., Roxy's in the Meadow Village has a very good selection.

Also - for any beer afficianados, across from Roxys is the Beehive Basin Brewery, and their coffee porter is to DIE for - has won all kinds of awards. :smile:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Big Sky really getting snow this season. Naturally after several years of spending a week there I have no plans to do so this season.

But if Mammoth and Colorado don't shape up soon, those plans could change!!!

Have fun, everyone.

Last edited:

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're only days away!! EEEK! (I haven't even started packing). I keep hearing great things about the conditions there this year - hope it still holds true. It is surely better than most places I'd guess. I have a couple of questions for you, @Skisailor!

*Where is the best place to eat on-mountain if we're bringing our own lunch?
*Thoughts on powder skis? Every year I waffle on whether or not it's worth it. I think I'll bring them only because we'll have an extra spot in a ski tube, hope they get used.
*Best place for moderate off-piste? Any friendly open glades for a somewhat new tree skier?

I'm super excited, hoping my knees hold up OK. Probably will take it easy first day to feel things out. I will REMEMBER TO ICE! LOL. We will be cooking most days but we do have reservations at Buck's T-4 one night. Menu looks great - we'll see if it is as good as it looks.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
We're only days away!! EEEK! (I haven't even started packing). I keep hearing great things about the conditions there this year - hope it still holds true. It is surely better than most places I'd guess. I have a couple of questions for you, @Skisailor!

*Where is the best place to eat on-mountain if we're bringing our own lunch?
*Thoughts on powder skis? Every year I waffle on whether or not it's worth it. I think I'll bring them only because we'll have an extra spot in a ski tube, hope they get used.
*Best place for moderate off-piste? Any friendly open glades for a somewhat new tree skier?

I'm super excited, hoping my knees hold up OK. Probably will take it easy first day to feel things out. I will REMEMBER TO ICE! LOL. We will be cooking most days but we do have reservations at Buck's T-4 one night. Menu looks great - we'll see if it is as good as it looks.

Unfortunately, Big Sky is not great with regard to on mountain dining. There are a few places to go, but not where you can brown bag it. So your only choice is to eat upstairs in the cafe in the main base area. Sorry. You could probably brown bag at the Headwater Grill at Madison base if you aren't obvious about it. Buy something to drink and then be discrete.

I ski 90% of the time on my 85mm wide daily drivers. We rarely get dumps of more than 10 inches. That said the skiing is awesome on the mountain right now. Best in quite a few years. How fat is your non powder ski?

There is tons of glade skiing of all levels all over the mountain. A good easy intro tree run is Lizette on the back side of Andesite mountain. An easy blue glade (only marked black because of the trees) is Tango Trees off the Swift Current chair. Then the entire Dakota territory is a blue pitch with trees of varying density and with open meadows and gullies.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Bucks is very good for eats. Other high end/excellent restaurants are Olive Bs and Michaelangelos.

I'm not a massage person but folks seem to love Solace Spa and Salon.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome, thanks! The cafe it is! I don't trust my crew to be discrete. LOL. Just as long as there is at least ONE place since we like to pack our lunches. I assume there are lockers there. My all mountains are 98mm. (Rossi S3)

Great tips on the trees. I really do love skiing trees but haven't been doing it that long. Just getting comfortable on steeper bumps, etc. It's frustrating sometimes because my knees don't always match up with my skill level - I typically like to take my ski trips as an opportunity to improve and push some boundaries. I prefer to leave a better skier than I arrived, so here's to hoping that happens! It's like - I was really getting better and better, skied a few double blacks and was like WOOO I MADE IT!!! Aaaand now I'm just... more cautious. Ah well - any day is a good day right?!

We get in on Saturday, first day on the mountain will be Sunday. SO STOKED.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
While you are here I can check your stance if you want to make sure you are minimizing any stress on your knees.
We should be able to ski without knee or quad stress - especially on natural snow.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I would say your 98 ski is all you need.

Get in touch when you arrive and let's ski some together! I can take you to whatever type of terrain you like. I love it all. ⛷

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, we are back from our Big Sky trip! Sadly, I was not able to get together with @Skisailor while there. Truly a bummer! It just seemed like we had opposite schedules the whole time. BUT, your advice was invaluable and I definitely appreciated your info and availability! I really liked the trees under Dakota lift, and in general I really loved the mountain. There were hardly any people there so no waiting in lift lines! Conditions were great! Only bummer is that I took a pretty significant tumble on Liberty Bowl and severely sprained my wrist. :( I found out yesterday that it's not broken at least - it has been questionable. So I didn't get to check out Bridger Bowl which was on the agenda, because I took a day off. Yellowstone was lots of fun. All in all, injury aside, it was a fantastic trip and we will DEFINITELY be going back to Big Sky. Perhaps even on our next trip, we liked it that much. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga