• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

big bear (sourthern california) help

newbieM

Angel Diva
I am going skiing next week in big bear for the first time and unsure on a few things.

1. Which resort do I pick? I can't quite tell.

I am a timid intermediate. I am VERY spoiled and usually only ski in salt lake city so I am sure the snow will be sad in comparison especially since there is no fresh snow. I want a place where I won't be killed by high speeding skiers and have some fun runs to just practice my skills and enjoy skiing.

2. I am going to sign up my kids for a few hours of ski school for snowboarding - any recommendations? both have been once and are decent at turning, getting off of lifts, etc. They aren't going to do crazy jumps or anything. So any recommendation of a ski school.

3. Rentals, where do I rent for my kids? Do I just do it on the mountain the day of the lesson?

Thanks!

mustski

Angel Diva
Are you coming up for the day or staying in Big Bear overnight? Weekend or weekday? On weekends, Snow Valley is much easier with abundant parking and a great sundeck! All 3 resorts have good instructors.

In any case, expect spring conditions with early softening. Valley will start the day soft and will become sticky earlier. Summit is prone to melt/freeze cycle so the first hour may be hard, fast snow. Avoid Bear Mountain altogether on the weekend but, on weekdays, is great for beginners because it has a great beginner area that is easy to access. On weekends, parking reservations are required for Snow Valley and also for Summit or Bear if you want close parking and to avoid shuttles.

If a day trip, then I recommend Snow Valley. It is mostly mellow terrain and has a great progression area for the kids in lessons. It is also an easier drive and plenty of parking. On weekends, the parking is $20 and there are no free parking options but parking
reservations are required. Rent gear at the mountain.

If staying in Big Bear over night, then Snow Summit is a better bet. The whole family fun area around Chair 9 is mellow terrain and more slow skiing. However, you do have tide up chair 2 to get over to chair 9 and makes it more complicated for beginners. Make a reservation for lessons as they sell out. Renting gear at the mountain, can definitely jam you up. Goldsmith’s Board shop has decent rentals and if you come up the night before, you may be able to pick the gear up the night before. If you do rent on mountain, get there early and allow yourself time. They have a decent system but it can get really busy on the weekend. Snow Summit gets really busy on the weekend. Parking F-Su is $30 and you need a reservation. Free parking is available in offsite lots and shuttle service is provided. Big Bear has good public transportation which is also free via the trolley or the bus. It depends where you are staying.

Feel free to ask questions?

Pat

newbieM

Angel Diva
Omg so helpful. I am going to big bear on Wednesday and coming back on Friday so I was going to probably go on Thursday. I am hoping it won’t be too crazy.

My kids are 16 and 11. I assume I need to put them in lessons so I can ski? The other mountains I’ve been to have a small beginner area that they are safe at. They are beginners and I’m happy to do one or two beginner runs with them but want to ski some so I’m thinking ski school is best it’s just pricey.

im thinking of just renting the night before off the mountain so I don’t have to handle it the day of.

also to add a wrinkle I have a middle kid who wants to just sit and chill while we ski. So a good place to plop her down for that would be great.

based on that what would be your preference for where I go?

mustski

Angel Diva
Snow Valley because the middle kid can sit on the lovely outdoor deck and be able to see you all ski down! If you haven’t already booked a place to stay, try to get a place in Running Springs or Lake Arrowhead instead of Big Bear proper.

However, if you want to stay in Big Bear then Snow Summit is the better option. Middle kid can either sit around the fire at the base or climb the stairs up to the other lodge and sit on the sun deck.

one caveat … in warm weather Snow Valley conditions deteriorate much more quickly. I’m out of town next week, otherwise I would meet up and show you around. Ironically, I’m in Utah next week!

newbieM

Angel Diva
Ya I’ve already booked something in big bear proper. So it sounds like snow summit? I get two free lift tickets to either big bear or snow summit with my Airbnb booking.

mustski

Angel Diva
Go to Summit. You will have more fun skiing there and your kids will be in lessons so it will be fine. At Bear, the beginner area is great but on other runs the high speed park rats rule!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can help too if you still have questions. I was just there a few weeks ago with three kids age 10-16.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I can help too if you still have questions. I was just there a few weeks ago with three kids age 10-16.
Awesome! Any suggestions on the best way to save on a ski lesson for the 11 year old?
Looks like we will go to ski summit. I have 2 free lift tickets with my stay and one ikon pass f&f discount.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. We went to snow summit - 2 kids did lessons so they had discount passes and we had 2 free passes with our stay here. I would encourage everyone to look at big bear visitors center for any promos.

Lastly, SUNSCREEN - I haven't done much spring skiing it was SUNNY AND WARM (I wore a tank top and open jacket) and I didn't even think to pack sunscreen but thankfully another mom let me borrow hers.

Will definitely come back next season and try the other parks. Mid week was definitely the way to go, free parking and just less crowded in the morning (by the afternoon it was a zoo)

mustski

Angel Diva
Glad you had fun! We are in Big Bear summer and fall and move to Reno after the new year. If you come to BB next December, I can show you around. Something else to know is that Big Bear, Mammoth, and June mountain are all on the Ikon Pass. At June, kids under 12 ski free!

newbieM

Angel Diva
Awesome! Thank you for the kind offer @mustski we love BB in the summer so I’ll definitely be back then and I’m sure I’ll go skiing again.

I need to plan a bit better and consider a pass. It’s just a big upfront expense and next season is pretty unknown at this point. It’s hard for me to gauge how much skiing I’ll get in. But maybe if I bite the bullet and get one I’ll commit more to weekends when I have the kids.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I need to plan a bit better and consider a pass. It’s just a big upfront expense and next season is pretty unknown at this point. It’s hard for me to gauge how much skiing I’ll get in. But maybe if I bite the bullet and get one I’ll commit more to weekends when I have the kids.
Having a pass makes a big difference when taking kids to ski. I used to get one for myself and my daughter for our home hill, even though the first few years we only skied enough to break even. In the case of that pass, it meant 7 days was enough. Two holiday weekends with 3-4 uses covered the pass. If the snow and weather was good, I was much more likely to add a regular weekend, meaning driving on Friday afternoon and returning home on Sunday afternoon.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Having a pass makes a big difference when taking kids to ski. I used to get one for myself and my daughter for our home hill, even though the first few years we only skied enough to break even. In the case of that pass, it meant 7 days was enough. Two holiday weekends with 3-4 uses covered the pass. If the snow and weather was good, I was much more likely to add a regular weekend, meaning driving on Friday afternoon and returning home on Sunday afternoon.
Ya! I have three kids so it’s more difficult to plan.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna