• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Between Seasons Storage

aloha.hau

Certified Ski Diva
'Tis the end of my ski season this year. Now I need to wash and store all. My. Family's. Stuff. I am using TechWash Waterproof on all the jackets and bibs, wipe down all the goggles and helmets and air out my boot liners before putting away. My base layers get put into the hiking stuff. In the past I have placed everything in plastic storage boxes and stacked them in an inside closet. But maybe I should hang them instead?

How do you ladies store all your stuff?

Jilly

Staff member
I wash everything, including my boot liners. (Those get air dried outside!). Jackets and pants get hung in the "out of season closet". The rest go into storage totes. Socks, gloves, buffs, base layers (except 1 that I use for early/late season paddling), toques, helmet, goggles (in a hard case) and anything else.

Skis are hung on the storage rack after wipe down.

I'm not done yet, but I could be. Bring on paddle season.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I store my skis, boots, helmets and poles in the spare bath tub/bathroom. Ski clothes have a dedicated closet plus a few fabric storage bags for overflows. I really need to organize and get rid of most of my ski wear.

Suzy Fairweather

Certified Ski Diva
My partner has recently decided to release the dims of the skis in the off-season, according to research he is always doing on his computer. He says this increases longevity of the binding. I think it is nonsense, that the binding is not delicate. It irked me when he forgot to tighten the dims on the first day the following season and I had to miss out first runs of the season to find a tool bench to adjust it. Plus I could have gotten hurt.
I say leave it alone. The following year, he put painters tape on it as a reminder.
Still, I say, don’t mess with the dims, leave it at the setting it should be.
Thoughts?

Emski528

Angel Diva
My partner has recently decided to release the dims of the skis in the off-season, according to research he is always doing on his computer. He says this increases longevity of the binding. I think it is nonsense, that the binding is not delicate. It irked me when he forgot to tighten the dims on the first day the following season and I had to miss out first runs of the season to find a tool bench to adjust it. Plus I could have gotten hurt.
I say leave it alone. The following year, he put painters tape on it as a reminder.
Still, I say, don’t mess with the dims, leave it at the setting it should be.
Thoughts?
Your partner sounds like my partner. The depth of research is sometimes painful. Maybe we should put them in charge of researching gear cleaning and storage and they can get it all packed away?

Jilly

Staff member
Ahhhh, But will he remember to reset the DIN's next fall. In all my years, I have never released my DIN setting.

This came today as an email to me from Avalanche:

2 - Storing your skis.

The editors of the Avalanche newsletter have prepared two articles on how to best store your ski gear when the season is over. Our advice is based on the following:
  • You have all the time needed to properly store your gear. When the mountains open back up, you want to be among the first to hit the slopes!
  • Four things to remember for storage: you want your gear to be clean, dry, functional and protected
I will start this series by telling you how I prepare my skis.

Functional: I first repair the base of my skis by plugging any holes with P-Tex. Then I sharpen the skis and check the bindings to make sure they are working properly. Now they’re ready for next year. I don’t touch the tension on my bindings (DIN) so that I don’t forget to re-tension them later.

Clean: I use wax remover to clean everything on my skis that is not metal, on all four sides. I then wipe the edges and the metal parts of the bindings with a cloth slightly dampened with WD-40 and dry off any excess. Next, I apply a very light layer of paraffin on the base to prevent oxidation. I bind the skis together with two straps and wipe everything down one last time.

Protected: I like to store my skis in my ski bag, often with my poles or another pair of skis if there is enough room. This keeps the dust off, but most importantly, protects them from UV rays. I store them upright in the back of a closet where it’s very dry.

What about the poles? I wash and dry them. If you have removable wrist straps, it is preferable to attach them to the poles, rather than leaving them on your gloves. Why? That way you won’t be hunting around for them in the fall, especially if you don’t remember that you left them on the gloves you wore during your last spring ski outing, when it was 9 °C!

In the fall: I take out my skis and scrape them twice and brush them three times. Then they’re good to go!

Since I love playing with my skis, I also sharpen them a little, apply the right wax, etc.
Another great season awaits!

And during summer? I’ll go fishing, of course!

Raymond Lesage,
Ski bootfitting advisor.

3 - Storing your ski boots.

Clean: Remove the liners and soles from your boots. Wash the entire shell with water and a mild soap. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser can remove some of the scratches. It’s worth a try! Finally, there are products you can use to deodorize the liners if they’re smelly.

Dry: Liners should be dried as thoroughly as possible. Air-drying should do it.

Functional: When everything has dried, look all the items over. The sole protecting the outer bottom of the liner may have started to come unglued. A little contact glue will fix that right up. The outer surface of the liner can get worn, usually at the ankle. We sell a very thin but very sticky tape you can use for that. When everything is dry, put the liner back in the shell and the sole back in the liner. No need to put the sole back in place, just slip it in the neck of the boot. Buckle the boot as if your foot was in it. This will help retain its shape!

Protected: A boot bag offers the best protection, but a brown paper bag can also do the trick! Indicate what is in the bag and store it in a dry place, like the back of a closet, next to your ski bag.

In the fall: Just take out the bag and go, go, go!

As for the summer: The Beaupré store will be open, and I will be running on the mountain with my son.

Rudy Guidez,
Ski manager to beaupré.

Suzy Fairweather

Certified Ski Diva
Ahhhh, But will he remember to reset the DIN's next fall. In all my years, I have never released my DIN setting.

This came today as an email to me from Avalanche:

2 - Storing your skis.

The editors of the Avalanche newsletter have prepared two articles on how to best store your ski gear when the season is over. Our advice is based on the following:
  • You have all the time needed to properly store your gear. When the mountains open back up, you want to be among the first to hit the slopes!
  • Four things to remember for storage: you want your gear to be clean, dry, functional and protected
I will start this series by telling you how I prepare my skis.

Functional: I first repair the base of my skis by plugging any holes with P-Tex. Then I sharpen the skis and check the bindings to make sure they are working properly. Now they’re ready for next year. I don’t touch the tension on my bindings (DIN) so that I don’t forget to re-tension them later.

Clean: I use wax remover to clean everything on my skis that is not metal, on all four sides. I then wipe the edges and the metal parts of the bindings with a cloth slightly dampened with WD-40 and dry off any excess. Next, I apply a very light layer of paraffin on the base to prevent oxidation. I bind the skis together with two straps and wipe everything down one last time.

Protected: I like to store my skis in my ski bag, often with my poles or another pair of skis if there is enough room. This keeps the dust off, but most importantly, protects them from UV rays. I store them upright in the back of a closet where it’s very dry.

What about the poles? I wash and dry them. If you have removable wrist straps, it is preferable to attach them to the poles, rather than leaving them on your gloves. Why? That way you won’t be hunting around for them in the fall, especially if you don’t remember that you left them on the gloves you wore during your last spring ski outing, when it was 9 °C!

In the fall: I take out my skis and scrape them twice and brush them three times. Then they’re good to go!

Since I love playing with my skis, I also sharpen them a little, apply the right wax, etc.
Another great season awaits!

And during summer? I’ll go fishing, of course!

Raymond Lesage,
Ski bootfitting advisor.

3 - Storing your ski boots.

Clean: Remove the liners and soles from your boots. Wash the entire shell with water and a mild soap. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser can remove some of the scratches. It’s worth a try! Finally, there are products you can use to deodorize the liners if they’re smelly.

Dry: Liners should be dried as thoroughly as possible. Air-drying should do it.

Functional: When everything has dried, look all the items over. The sole protecting the outer bottom of the liner may have started to come unglued. A little contact glue will fix that right up. The outer surface of the liner can get worn, usually at the ankle. We sell a very thin but very sticky tape you can use for that. When everything is dry, put the liner back in the shell and the sole back in the liner. No need to put the sole back in place, just slip it in the neck of the boot. Buckle the boot as if your foot was in it. This will help retain its shape!

Protected: A boot bag offers the best protection, but a brown paper bag can also do the trick! Indicate what is in the bag and store it in a dry place, like the back of a closet, next to your ski bag.

In the fall: Just take out the bag and go, go, go!

As for the summer: The Beaupré store will be open, and I will be running on the mountain with my son.

Rudy Guidez,
Ski manager to beaupré.
Thank you for this info. I’ll see if I can get him to read this on a good day. The whole article is helpful.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skis: Get minor repairs and edges done close to the end of the season, storage wax and put in the ski bag, indoor storage cupboard. I personally think we should be able to scrape and go at the start of the season so don't adjust DIN

Boots: Liners are taken out every night anyway, so buckled and stored in my usual boot pack along with helmet, goggles, gloves. Usually I brush off any dirt from spring skiing prior to this. Same indoor storage cupboard

Ski outer layers: In a duffel or hanging in the wardrobe depending on space

Ski mid and inner layers: Lighter weight base and mid layers often get used for cycling so stay out. Heavier weight gets stored.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never had a problem leaving the DINs alone. Am trying to be more careful in general with my equipment:
- Wipe off any moisture after a ski trip to prevent rust
- Use straps & old tube socks for security & protection
- Store upright in ski bag (I don't do a summer storage wax)
- Buckle boots properly for storage & put on the cat yak tracks on the soles for next time
- Get skis waxed more often

Jenny

Angel Diva
We packed everything up today. Nothing special for skis, clothing cleaned before packing, brushed the dried mud off the boots and wiped the dust off before checking that they were fastened, then popped them into the ski bag and stuffed everything else into the gigantic storage tubs and off to the basement they went. That corner of the bedroom seems really big at the moment, but I’ll adjust in a couple of days..

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My skis spend the off season in the basement standing up inside plastic milk crates so that they don't wick moisture off the cement floor. They all get a storage wax with whatever wax is most appropriate for the particular ski---for example I would be unlikely to use my carving skis in really warm conditions so would use cold wax on those and would use warmer wax on my wider skis. Then I just scrape and brush in the fall and all are ready to go when needed.
Boots just get stored in the box they came in--or another boot box. Buckled of course. And I make sure all the mud is off the soles since mud is so ubiquitous in the spring.
Clothes get stored in plastic rubbermaid tubs and an old suitcase

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is what I do with my gear ... notice I said MY as in mine, not my husbands, he can look after his own :laughter:
Ski's - get taken to local ski shop to be serviced and have a summer coat of wax put on before going to bed for the Summer in a cupboard.

Bindings - The above local ski shop told me a few seasons ago that its no longer necessary to wind back the dins. It used to be but apparently not any more.

Boots - Liners get air dried and shells washed and dried before gong into ski cupboard.

Outerwear - washed and stored in an old suitcase that lives in the spare room.

Goggles/Helmet - wiped clean and stored in ski cupboard on a shelf.
All base and midlayers get washed and put away in a drawer.

All through Winter our house is strewn with ski gear and to be honest once hubby has finished, which can drag on a bit as he's an avid ski tourer/mountaineer and will eeeek out any last skerrick of snow, its a relief to finally have the house looking somewhat presentable again !

Suzy Fairweather

Certified Ski Diva
This is what I do with my gear ... notice I said MY as in mine, not my husbands, he can look after his own :laughter:
Ski's - get taken to local ski shop to be serviced and have a summer coat of wax put on before going to bed for the Summer in a cupboard.

Bindings - The above local ski shop told me a few seasons ago that its no longer necessary to wind back the dins. It used to be but apparently not any more.

Boots - Liners get air dried and shells washed and dried before gong into ski cupboard.

Outerwear - washed and stored in an old suitcase that lives in the spare room.

Goggles/Helmet - wiped clean and stored in ski cupboard on a shelf.
All base and midlayers get washed and put away in a drawer.

All through Winter our house is strewn with ski gear and to be honest once hubby has finished, which can drag on a bit as he's an avid ski tourer/mountaineer and will eeeek out any last skerrick of snow, its a relief to finally have the house looking somewhat presentable again !
One week away from the local mountain closing and I'm starting to get excited about a Spring Clean around the house! BOOTS (nordic, alpine, skateski boots, snow boots EVERYWHERE.) It's just too much.

Reactions: AJM

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I give all my ski clothes a good wash and they stay in our townhouse along with my ski boot bag. I usually take my giant duffle bag with all the clothes and put in the closet by the laundry room. All the skis are in the garage. It's nice to have everything handy because I go to the indoor ski place a few times in the summer.

aloha.hau

Certified Ski Diva
One week away from the local mountain closing and I'm starting to get excited about a Spring Clean around the house! BOOTS (nordic, alpine, skateski boots, snow boots EVERYWHERE.) It's just too much.
Oddly enough, the family snow boots seem to take up a ridiculous amount of house space.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga