• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best small suv for winter driving

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I'm loving my Tiguan SEL R Line but I do always have a bit of a roving eye for my "next" vehicle whenever that is. I've always had an eye for Audi. Was sure it was going to be a Q3 or 5.. that is until I saw the Audi A4 Allroad. It's this lovely wagon. I've heard it rides like dream likely as it's on the A4 platform. The color I saqw was this lovely burgundy which of course they don't make any longer. I won't be looking for another 3 or 4 years so maybe it'll come back lol
I’m a member of the Tiguan club too and have always wanted an Allroad, but with three dogs (including very fluffy golden retriever) haven’t been able to bring myself to spring for a “nice” car (though my Tiguan is plenty nice!) Maybe for my next vehicle. I plan to drive the Tiguan til it dies though - have a 2019 and hoping for at least a solid 5+ more years out of it.

LucieCZ

Certified Ski Diva
Lots of good car suggestions here. One thing I'll add is if the issue with your car is traction, the best way to help that is by switching to good winter tires at the start of the season. We have a set from Costco and they'll swap out the tires for $45. We live within 20 min of some resorts, so it's not always a good solution for people who aren't in snowy areas. But if you're going on a trip, it only takes like an hour to swap them and makes a world of difference.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to throw in a plug for my beloved Jeep Rubicon Recon and her 35 inch tires.

I drove over to Snowshoe WV in winter conditions in January. It was snowing, the road to the resort was not plowed or treated, and the wind was gusting to 60. For those who don't know Snowshoe, the "base" is at the top of the mountain at elevation 4848, and the road up there is a series of switchbacks. I hate driving it in clear weather! At any rate, my Jeep and a new Volvo SUV were the only two cars to make it to the top on their own. The tow trucks were towing everyone else up. It must have taken hours for them to "rescue" all the other SUVs, AWDs, etc. that were stuck on the sides of the road. It (so far) is the only time I've had to put my Jeep in low four wheel drive.

I asked some of the workers what they do to guarantee they can get to work -- most had studded snow tires on their cars.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a Jeep Wrangler unlimited a few years ago that was a beast in the snow. I put snow rated Yokohama tires on it ana it was amazing all year long. I'm more of a luxury vehicle rider these days. I'm a full on German engineering/Tiggy SEL R line/Audi lover now. I would love to get another Wrangler unlimited as a 2nd vehicle one day as it sure was a sh!t ton of fun to drive.

Amie H

Angel Diva
This season I rented both a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hybrid and a Jeep Wrangler on Tahoe trips and they were AWESOME in the snow. And, let me tell you, I was driving up those snowy, switchback mountain roads with aplomb in each of them.

I like how the driver has a choice of drivetrain options to use depending on conditions. The Grand Cherokee was absolutely dreamy on the highway, too: quiet cabin, comfy seats, smooth ride and intuitive connection to my android auto. I really loved it. For a bigger vehicle it was pretty easy to drive & park and the hybrid meant it sipped gas.

No tall trucks for me, though, until I'm no longer a caregiver of an elderly/disabled person. I practically have to use a step stool to get in those, myself! (Note to self: make sure my future truck has running boards w slip-free surface!)

My BMW X1 is NOT GREAT in weather (rain, snow) - it's just OK. Big disappointment to me bc it has amazing reviews. It's not all time AWD. It's FWD with "X drive" so the system applies power to wheels it senses needs power. Helps on MPG but I notice back wheel fishtailing taking turns in wet weather or gravelly roads. Other drivers of the same vehicle say they think it's great in the snow (with snow tires.) But since I'd not have snow tires on in summer, it doesn't help with driving in the rain.

That said, I don't live in the mountains, so it's fine for my city & highway driving and whatnot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga