• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best small suv for winter driving

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Happy new year all, I’m looking for a small suv that is the absolute best for winter driving. My current car is the BMW850i, worst skiing car ever.

I’d be perfectly happy with the Subaru crosstrek sport, but since I’ll be trading in the BMW I can look at more expensive cars as well.

I m not interested in a jeep or truck type ride, and even a small SUV feels very big to me.

I’d also like to get the new car loaded with all the snow/ice/bad road condition options I can get, so fire away, ladies, and TIA!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been using my Tesla Model S as my ski car for the last few years and recently bought a Model X to use for skiing. Both got me to/from the mountain safely and comfortably. Before the Teslas, we use a Mercedes GLE and it didn’t disappoint.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The Mazda CX-5 is a great little SUV and a ton of fun to drive (9/10 from Car and Driver). Unsure if you topped it out if it would be enough $, but worth a look.

Audi Q5 would be one that would be more in your target price range, but for an extra $15K you drop down to an 8/10 from Car and Driver, lol.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
And you can't beat a Jeep Grand Cherokee -- it's one of the best SUVs ever, does great in snow, and has lots of room. I've had 4 of them, but downsized to a Subaru Outback with my latest car, and it's also been great in the snow.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The Mazda CX-5 is a great little SUV and a ton of fun to drive (9/10 from Car and Driver). Unsure if you topped it out if it would be enough $, but worth a look.

Audi Q5 would be one that would be more in your target price range, but for an extra $15K you drop down to an 8/10 from Car and Driver, lol.
Do you know anything about the Mazda CX-30 ? My VW Tiguan has been a lemon from the get go with only 33k miles on it.

lisamamot

Angel Diva

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Mazda's are a ton of fun to drive! We are on our fifth one in our household--two CX-5s, two 6s, and now a CX--9. Never an issue with any of them.
I just thought of Mazda today ! I was thinking about a Crosstrek but there are a million of those here in SC... I like Audi (I like german cars but they are becoming cost prohibitive.) My Tiguan is very nice to drive and the SEL model so has all the bells and whistles. That darn check engine light goes on constantly and it's another $1k. I've probably spent $5k in the last two years on a car with very low mileage. Should not be happening.
Looking on line and thought the CX-30 was similar in size to my Tiguan....Think CX-5 is larger? And CX-9 even larger?

marzNC

Angel Diva
My RAV4 Prime has done fine on somewhat snowy roads. But I haven't driven it that much in the snow. I have the stock M/S tires. Worked well enough in South Fork during the Wolf Creek trip a month ago when there was 4+ inches of fresh snow that hadn't really been plowed much yet.

On trips away from home, I use the R4P as a hybrid. Although if I'm staying somewhere I can plug in overnight, I do.

MissySki

Angel Diva
We just got a Toyota Rav-4 Prime plug-in hybrid, and love I it. https://www.toyota.com/rav4prime/
It gets around 40 miles on the battery, great for around town/commute, and when you run out of battery (or accelerate at an on-ramp or uphill) it switches seamlessly to gas. Very nice ride and handles great in the snow w/Blizzaks.
I have a strange question perhaps.. but does your car do a very rough restart sort of thing after stopping at a stop sign or red light and want to get going again? I rented a Rav 4 hybrid in CA in November and found it quite annoying due to this. It felt rough and then would have a slight lag in getting going. Though once it is already going it was very peppy when stepping on the gas. I was excited to rent it because I have been thinking about the Rav 4 Prime as a potential new car and haven’t gotten to test drive anything except the regular Rav 4 yet. Figured the hybrid would be similar to the Prime in how it drives. I’m not sure if it is the way hybrids behave in general since I hadn’t driven one before.. perhaps there is also a setting to lessen the shut off, rough restart, and lag I was feeling? Or maybe there was something extra wrong with this car, it really didn’t feel right.

I have been driving my current car since 2012 and over 200k miles.. I was planning to get a new car right around when Covid hit, but since then I’ve worked from home and that slowed down my need for it.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
Crosstrek (one of the models with bigger engine) with snow tires is amazing but a little small. Really any Subaru with snow tires would be a solid choice. It will not feel like a luxury car, though.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just thought of Mazda today ! I was thinking about a Crosstrek but there are a million of those here in SC... I like Audi (I like german cars but they are becoming cost prohibitive.) My Tiguan is very nice to drive and the SEL model so has all the bells and whistles. That darn check engine light goes on constantly and it's another $1k. I've probably spent $5k in the last two years on a car with very low mileage. Should not be happening.
Looking on line and thought the CX-30 was similar in size to my Tiguan....Think CX-5 is larger? And CX-9 even larger?
Yes, they get bigger as the numbers go up. The CX-9 is discontinued and is now the CX-90. I think the CX-5 is more comparable to your Tiguan. There is also a CX-50. I'm guessing they'll discontinue the CX-5 and replace it with the CX-50, but who knows. All I know is Mazdas are really fun to drive and have very nice interiors and features for the price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga