• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best skis you've never heard of.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We've all heard of Atomic, Volkl, Rossignol, Head, etc. But there are loads of smaller, or "boutique" brands out there, too. And some of them could be great, but because they don't have wide distribution or a big marketing budget, we'd never know.

So if you've had experience with a little-known brand, post about it here. Share so we can all benefit.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The brand that I look for when I'm at Alta is DPS. Had a friend who got me to try them out at an Alta demo day a few years ago. DPS are pretty common around SLC since they are based there. Can find them in the consignment ski shops.

The DPS Nina 99 is my favorite ski for a powder storm. All DPS skis are very lightweight and easy to turn on and off-piste. If I lived near big mountains, I'd buy DPS. Almost bought a demo pair from Alta Ski Shop last Feb but managed to say "no." All the DPS demos were sold by the time I got back to Alta in late March.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe I wrongly gave them the attribute 'smaller' but didn't see them a lot around here until now ... this could also be because they are mostly covered with snow :smile:
- Whitedot
- Libtech
- Down skis
- Segoski never heard of this brand until I saw Lysey Dyer working with them. And they have unicorns on top and base!!! :thumbsup:

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I met a guy from RAMP at a ski show last year and was going to try demoing when I was in SLC in Feb, but never got around to it. Next time I am in the area I will definitely make a point of it. I know a few Divas have RAMP skis and love them, but we just don't hear about them a lot in CA.

There are some brands (I don't know their size) that keep popping up on the "Best of " lists but are hard to find out here that I would be interested in hearing more about:
-Moment
-ON3P
-Faction
-4FRNT
......there are more...

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My BF rides on Amplids and loves them. Powder Magazine is pretty good about highlighting those smaller, more specialized companies...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Am I the only one having trouble with the name of the thread? :bounce:As in, I want to post, but can't, because logically it's impossible? :wink:

LOL. Right. But it works if you're saying it to someone else, as in, "I bet you've never heard of these skis!" So that's where I was coming from.

I really am curious about skis that don't get much press or don't have wide distribution.

For example, my local news recently covered a small Vermont ski company called renoun, and I was fascinated. They intrigued me because they used a new material I'd never heard of before. I'd really like to give them a try. And I'm contacted from time to time by other small ski companies as well. Coalition Snow, for example. So it's an interesting topic, especially if someone on the forum has tried one of these little known brands. I'd love to hear some reviews!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied on Wagner a few times, and love them. It's a boutique brand, and they are happy to make you a custom ski for around $2,000! Located in Colorado.

Some of the other smaller and well-known makers here are Meier, RMU, and Albritton.

Reactions: DRG

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone been on Black Crows, company based out of Chamonix? A guy friend demo'ed and really enjoyed them in Niseko last season.

I see from their website that only 6 shops in North America have them.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone been on Black Crows, company based out of Chamonix? A guy friend demo'ed and really enjoyed them in Niseko last season.

I see from their website that only 6 shops in North America have them.

I haven't, but Teton Village Sports in JH carries them.

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used Liberty Envy skis for the entire 14/15 season - made in Colorado. I really enjoyed them - and could not believe how much feedback I got from people all season. They definitely caught people's eye - guessing because they aren't widely used. They were Editor's picks in several gear guides last year, too.

20150213_135824.jpg

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our family has a few indie skis, and pretty much without exception, we really like them. I have a pair of Praxis Concepts for softer snow days (powder/slush) and would happily buy them again. Actually surprisingly good on firmer snow too and will hold a decent carve if pressed. Husband has Kingswood SMBs (NZ company, yay!) and rates them in similar conditions, and awesome in softer/variable stuff. Both pairs have super durable bases that can withstand some serious impacts on our nasty NZ rocks with minimal damage (compared to other skis we've had). And our son's skis are Moment PB&J, which he's also really happy with for the type of skiing he does (playful, on and off piste). Youngest daughter had some Moment kids skis (Carson) which she liked but grew out of very quickly due to, umm, sudden tweenie upwards growth.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boyfriend has a pair of Icelantic Shamens and a pair of Whitedot Directors, both are very fun to ski and I would happily own the WD's if it wasn't for the whole matching ski thing :smile:

I've also demoed a pair of Down skis which i also enjoyed and will probably buy a pair at some point in the fantastic summer pre sale.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had a few Icelantic skis - love that they're made locally.

I have enjoyed some Line skis - not exactly a small company, but not exactly mainstream, either.

I currently have a Scott ski - The Ski - and again, they're not a small company, but I never thought of Scott in terms of skis until Phil and @SnowHot turned me on to them at Epic.

Skis I'd like to try: J Skis (made by the guy who founded Line), Black Crow, Coalition ... Also, doesn't Lynsey Dyer have some ski out? I can't find a reference to it right now, though.

I also would very much like to check out some DPSes.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boyfriend has a pair of Icelantic Shamens and a pair of Whitedot Directors, both are very fun to ski and I would happily own the WD's if it wasn't for the whole matching ski thing :smile:

I've also demoed a pair of Down skis which i also enjoyed and will probably buy a pair at some point in the fantastic summer pre sale.

For a few years, DH and I had matching Icelantic Nomads. They were hideous and very distinctive. We didn't love having matching skis, but hey, all skis look the same with snow on top =)

elemmac

Angel Diva
I am forever thankful for my 4FRNT Aretha skis.

I decided to try skiing again about 5 years ago, after being a snowboarder for 12 years and picked up a pair of Elans. They were...meh, and I found myself still snowboarding a lot more than skiing. A year later I demoed a pair of 4FRNTs and fell in love! They were playful, fun, but still stable, everything I loved about snowboarding, but in a pair of skis!

I think everyone finds one pair of skis that truly changes skiing for them (kinda like finding a first love, no matter what else comes along, you'll always remember that one), and the small boutique brand, 4FRNT, was that for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga