• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best ski resorts . . . for summer season vacations

altagirl

Staff member
Well to start Whistler and Bromont aren't in the US! But they are both mountain biking destinations. You did Mont Ste Anne a few years ago too didn't you?

Tremblant is into golf, water sports, limited mountain biking, mountain luge and now zip lining. Saw their promo on facebook and really want to try it.
Oh, and while I loved riding Mt St Anne, there aren't/weren't very many trails there, though the couple they had were excellent. And it didn't have the look that it was a summer destination like Bromont. Bromont is a full on summer resort with lots to do, not just bike, and there were just a ton of trails, and it was crazy packed with people. Winter Park is like that, there is an alpine slide, mini golf, kids activities, various events like wine tastings, shopping. .. a family with varied interests could go and have fun. And the bike park is superb.
Canyons is working on it, decent bike park, excellent zip lines, free outdoor concerts, small village, mini golf. .. there was a sold out wine tasting this weekend...

Some of their list feel like if they listed Alta. Yes it's gorgeous, but a few trails don't make a top summer resort destination. Alta is working on it though.

Jilly

Staff member
Mont Ste Anne is too close to Quebec City even as a destination resort. Bromont is now the eastern training centre for national mountain biking candidates. Even though its close to Montreal, Bromont has so many things to do. It can be a day trip out or a destination. Really its not a great place to ski. I'd drive the extra to get to Sutton.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh, and while I loved riding Mt St Anne, there aren't/weren't very many trails there, though the couple they had were excellent. And it didn't have the look that it was a summer destination like Bromont. Bromont is a full on summer resort with lots to do, not just bike, and there were just a ton of trails, and it was crazy packed with people. Winter Park is like that, there is an alpine slide, mini golf, kids activities, various events like wine tastings, shopping. .. a family with varied interests could go and have fun. And the bike park is superb.
Canyons is working on it, decent bike park, excellent zip lines, free outdoor concerts, small village, mini golf. .. there was a sold out wine tasting this weekend...

Some of their list feel like if they listed Alta. Yes it's gorgeous, but a few trails don't make a top summer resort destination. Alta is working on it though.
Is Park City busier in the winter or the summer? Meaning the town in general, not PCMR.

Snowbird keeps adding summer attractions like slides and trampoline jumping.

altagirl

Staff member
Is Park City busier in the winter or the summer? Meaning the town in general, not PCMR.

Yeah, and they have Oktoberfest too. I know they're working on some bike trails, but from what I've heard, the first attempts are not particularly successful. And the terrain is not what you want for biking.

And Park City is just about as busy in summer I think. Depending on the event, maybe even busier. I don't consider PCMR and Park City to be connected like that - because Park City is really the base for all three resorts there, and was there as a mining town as well... And I guess because I regularly make trips to Park City that have nothing to do with the mountains (and that's saying something because I go there all the time to ride), but I was on a curling team up there, have gone up for movies, dinner, farmers market, indoor and outdoor concerts, shopping, art festivals... OTOH, I do know that PCMR is working on a bike park. They have lift served riding now, but not really the trails to go with it. You can just ride the lift and ride XC trails at the moment, which is better than nothing, but there's a reason they're still doing a $99 season pass. :smile: Anyway, in terms of ski resorts - I consider PCMR to end at the edge of the parking lot at the base. Maybe that's just me though! :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I do way more resort visits involving travel in summer than winter, and most of those are not on my radar at all.
My top 10 would be:
Whistler
Winter Park
Canyons
Brian Head
Mammoth
Bromont
Mt. Snow
Deer Valley
And on reputation:
Keystone
Snowshoe

Keystone bike park has more trails than the Canyons. It's not nearly as popular as WP and has fewer flow options - no blue flow trails. I think the greens and a lot of the blacks are fantastic - the blues aren't even fun for me when wet. Let me know when you finally get there ;-) I want to see you ride the rock garden on Cowboy Up. It just looks like death to me.

For those looking for extremely mellow riding - extremely - Breck has some long trails. The greens are the fire road and the blacks might be on par with greens at keystone and winter park. The big problem is that they don't do a good job with signage and trail management - you can start riding, find a good bit down that there's a closure, and have to ride back up. And they're not really oriented to bikes, so most of the staff have no frame of reference or advice. Oh, and unlike the other places, hikers aren't warned off the bike trails.

Despite all of that, it's pretty and it's still fun - just not challenging.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The general park city area during the summer seems less busy during the week and then turns into a full on zoo over the weekend has been my experience. Lodging is about half during the summer as it is in the winter and easier to come by. Although my winter travel has been during big events and close to spring break so it may have been busier due to that.

altagirl

Staff member
The general park city area during the summer seems less busy during the week and then turns into a full on zoo over the weekend has been my experience. Lodging is about half during the summer as it is in the winter and easier to come by. Although my winter travel has been during big events and close to spring break so it may have been busier due to that.
I think it varies. There are times that we have gone in summer where it is a madhouse and you can't park, sit in traffic, etc. but that's around big events. No idea on lodging though, as we just drive home. ..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga