• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best gear for brutally cold weather

Jilly

Staff member
Sounds like a "magic bag" except they are usually lavender and oats!!

I don't know, if I heated up my boots before I put my feet in (currently at room temp), I think my feet my sweat more and that would negate any benefit. They would just get cold from the sweat. Something to try though.

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend 5 deg on Saturday and 15 on Sunday.

Installed Hotronics in daughter's boots (age 13). Her feet were perfectly toasty, one of the batteries came unplugged on day two and she she didn't plug it back in until after lunch. Her toes were almost numb without the Hotronic. So, inadvertent test! She had boot gloves on with the Hotronics and she was able to keep it at setting 2 all day both days. Thin Fox River liner with a medium to thin sock.

For son (age 10), on Saturday I put the chemical FOOT warmer on the bottom of his foot (it is 7-8" long, shaped like a foot) and a chemical toe warmer on top of his foot and he was fine. Sunday he was too hot and we removed the toe warmer and just stuck with the foot warmer. His boots are a little big so fitting in the extra warmers worked fine. The thin warmer under his foot didn't bother him, depends on the kid i guess. Kids' spyder socks....

Gloves, both kids had Gordini Gauntlet mitts (no finger cells), then liners and chemical hand warmers floating around in the mitt. Both had warm hands no complaining.

I just ordered Hotronics for my husband and I :smile:. Was going to get Lenz socks for myself, but realize my (Atomic) liner has the hole in the heel and the elastics for the wire, so I might as well get the foot warmer. And I want everyone in the fam to have the same system so we can interchange batteries if necessary.....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I saw these "Boot Dragons" in a Mammoth shop and thought it was a good idea: https://store.auntiea.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1818

Price is reasonable, but sewers can probably make a DIY one that's just as good.
I have those and we put in the microwave then stick in our boots if going to Squaw or Mt Rose (usually we walk/shuttle to lifts at N* and Heavenly). They are great if driving though.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Used the Face Saver yesterday in very cold weather, and it's great. It's reasonably warm, lets me breathe freely, and didn't fog my goggles at all.

My only issue was that it pretty quickly became wet from condensation.

I bought a small, and it seemed to fit well, but the part below the nose did hang down a bit over my mouth, so maybe I need to try to the kids' size or trim it a bit.

Anyway, even with the moisture, it was a game-changer ; thanks to all the Divas who recommended it!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Finally caved and ordered 2 Face Savers. They arrive today. Day late/dollar short? We are expecting 40 and The R Word on Friday. :mad2:

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
We just returned from skiing in Northern lower Michigan last week (Weds, Thurs and Friday) where temps were below zero and the winds were variable. I'd never used the chemical adhesive toe warmers until this trip. What a game changer! I don't have a whole lot of room in my boots, so my daughter suggested placing them on top of my foot/toes and wrapping over the tops of my toes. With everything covered (no exposed skin), we managed to stay out for a couple hours at a time. I had the Burton Gore-Tex mitts with liners (and hand warmer) and was warm enough. I used a knit hat under my helmet for added warmth.

The great thing about the below zero temps? Great snow and fewer people in lift lines. We had great conditions and didn't have to wait!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Long ago I had an instructor at Jackson Hole tell us the toe warmers were far more effective on top and I've found that to be true...
My face saver is on the way!

DvR

Certified Ski Diva
I have Therm-ic 1600 Smart Packs in my boots and they have kept my feet toasty warm in all conditions.

Attachments

• IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    361.8 KB · Views: 5

newboots

Angel Diva
Yay! for added sources of heat! I agree, if you bundle up you can stay warm enough, and you have the hill to yourself. And the snow on Sunday was near-perfect at Okemo.

Today, at Killington, some of the upper trails were scoured down to the grass in spots from the wind. Plenty of good groomed snow and nice piles next to the woods.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Yay! for added sources of heat! I agree, if you bundle up you can stay warm enough, and you have the hill to yourself. And the snow on Sunday was near-perfect at Okemo.

Today, at Killington, some of the upper trails were scoured down to the grass in spots from the wind. Plenty of good groomed snow and nice piles next to the woods.
@newboots , I proclaim you officially addicted,,,,,,just like the rest of us! :laughter:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Used the Face Saver yesterday in very cold weather, and it's great. It's reasonably warm, lets me breathe freely, and didn't fog my goggles at all.

My only issue was that it pretty quickly became wet from condensation.

I bought a small, and it seemed to fit well, but the part below the nose did hang down a bit over my mouth, so maybe I need to try to the kids' size or trim it a bit.

Anyway, even with the moisture, it was a game-changer ; thanks to all the Divas who recommended it!
Trimming is better. The kid size really is for a smaller head. I had one that my daughter used for a while. After she out grew it, we gave it to my friend's daughter.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Used the Blazeware heated gloves I bought about 10 years ago at Massanutten last weekend. Had tested them once but never really used them afterwards. Temps in the single digits all day Sat and in the morning on Sun. Worked pretty well. I got the version that uses 3 AA batteries in each battery pack. They are pretty good gloves without the heat so the batteries lasted for the weekend. I had thin liners too. I only used the extra heat for about an hour on Sun morning.

On Sat afternoon I switched to mittens, liners, heat pack. Definitely got colder than with the heated gloves.

newboots

Angel Diva
I got my Face Saver mask today, also. Will use them on Saturday and report back.

I just went to the mailbox and got mine. I was startled! You can't tell from the photos that it doesn't cover your chin and neck - just the space between your goggles and neck gaiter, as it says on the website. If you wear your neck gaiter high.

I can see how it would reduce fogging; I'll be happy to try it. Just startled.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just went to the mailbox and got mine. I was startled! You can't tell from the photos that it doesn't cover your chin and neck - just the space between your goggles and neck gaiter, as it says on the website. If you wear your neck gaiter high.

I know the comments in this thread are about how good the Face Saver is for cold weather, but the fact that it only covers nose and cheeks is why I also use it during spring skiing out west for part of the day for sun protection.

I have two. So can switch out midday if necessary.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

That's kind of the main thing about it, newboots. It's what makes it different from anything else out there, and why it works so well to keep your goggles fog free. I wear it with a neck gaiter, and I'm warm in even the coldest weather.

As they say, Try it, you'll like it! :smile:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna