• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best gear for brutally cold weather

marzNC

Angel Diva
i think the person upthread means to put the toe warmer on top of the toes before putting it in the boot - the boot glove goes over the boot.
Although I've never done it, have read more than once about the idea of keeping the toe warmers outside the boot but under the Boot Gloves. Especially when someone has well fitted boots with no extra room inside. Also less of an effort required to get them in place.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the OR Revolution Glove...I would actually like to get more of their gear...pretty impressed with the gloves.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually have the heating element with the wire coming out the front of my boots at the toe so I don't have to worry about changes to my custom footbeds. It avoids the need to dremel and you can just tape or tuck the cord up the front of the liner. The wire is not that thin, if you put it in the other way you'll have to dremel or you'll feel it.
That is an interesting idea. Do you find that when you remove your liners and put them back into the bootshells that the wire is not compromised in any way? I'm assuming not, but this would be something I'd worry about. My liners are hard to get in and out of the boot. Fortunately I do not do that very often. ( But I should)

Jilly

Staff member
The hotshot ON the boots, but below the boot glove, was a suggestion many years ago. It depends on how cold it is, but it keeps the shell warm for awhile.

I tried it and just went to boot heaters. Would be interesting to hear if anyone is using the new Salomon heated boot.

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually have the heating element with the wire coming out the front of my boots at the toe so I don't have to worry about changes to my custom footbeds. It avoids the need to dremel and you can just tape or tuck the cord up the front of the liner. The wire is not that thin, if you put it in the other way you'll have to dremel or you'll feel it.

This is interesting, I can see how this would work, do you have the wire coming out at an angle, maybe wrapping around the outside of the toes and taped to the side of the liner then up the back? Would probably only work for women's boots that are shorter? I imagine it takes extra wire to go around the toes.....?

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are there brands of ski boots that are less affected by cold than others? I get the point where I struggle to flex mine (Tecnica Mach 1 95) when it's below about -20 Celsius. And would a boot glove help at all with that?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i don't know but i would be doubtful - mine are lange, and they were definitely harder to buckle when it was really cold out. i ended up buckling inside and just walking outside uncomfortably since i couldn't do it on hill or even before getting on the lift.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are there brands of ski boots that are less affected by cold than others? I get the point where I struggle to flex mine (Tecnica Mach 1 95) when it's below about -20 Celsius. And would a boot glove help at all with that?
If you have warm boots in the lodge and add Boot Gloves when heading out, might help for a short time. Maybe only half a run when it's frigid though. I know there are people who bring along a hair dryer to warm their boots before putting them on. Have seen them at seasonal lockers at Alta and elsewhere. Of course, a heated boot bag . . .

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is interesting, I can see how this would work, do you have the wire coming out at an angle, maybe wrapping around the outside of the toes and taped to the side of the liner then up the back? Would probably only work for women's boots that are shorter? I imagine it takes extra wire to go around the toes.....?
Clarification. The heating element is at the toes with the wire threaded through a created opening in the toe of the boot liner then run over the toe and taped down to the liner running on the outside surface of the boot. It's run back to the ankle and then turned up. My bootfitter did this because they didn't want any mucking around with their precious insole :wink:.
The liner is thermomoldable so that created the extra room.

The wire is so long there's still tons extra.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is an interesting idea. Do you find that when you remove your liners and put them back into the bootshells that the wire is not compromised in any way? I'm assuming not, but this would be something I'd worry about. My liners are hard to get in and out of the boot. Fortunately I do not do that very often. ( But I should)
As long as it's fully taped, no.

And I'm not posting pictures because I refuse to wrestle my liner tonight, so I definitely understand!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The hotshot ON the boots, but below the boot glove, was a suggestion many years ago. It depends on how cold it is, but it keeps the shell warm for awhile.

I tried it and just went to boot heaters. Would be interesting to hear if anyone is using the new Salomon heated boot.
I have hotronics and boot gloves so the additional adhesive toe warmers are really for those days where I probably shouldn't have gone out anyway.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Although I've never done it, have read more than once about the idea of keeping the toe warmers outside the boot but under the Boot Gloves. Especially when someone has well fitted boots with no extra room inside. Also less of an effort required to get them in place.

I’ve tried with the toe warmers outside the boot under the boot gloves. Didn’t work... the toe warmers basically froze solid. Boot gloves alone were more effective.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I used to have Hotronics, but repeated boot work killed them. Numerous professionals told me to use ~thinner~ Smartwook or Point6 socks with no padding. My feet have never been cold again, though I do take precautions in extreme cold such as toe warmers on top of the toes and Boot Gloves.

Now, where can I get that face solution that Ski Diva and others mentioned? EEK!

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to have Hotronics, but repeated boot work killed them. Numerous professionals told me to use ~thinner~ Smartwook or Point6 socks with no padding. My feet have never been cold again, though I do take precautions in extreme cold such as toe warmers on top of the toes and Boot Gloves.

Now, where can I get that face solution that Ski Diva and others mentioned? EEK!

I have been wearing wool sock liners from REI...they are marketed to be worn under hiking socks, but I've been wearing them solo while skiing...I don't experience east coast conditions, but a couple of mornings it was around 10F and my feet were toasty warm with just the liners.

I think worn under ski socks, these would keep your feet very warm...and the best part, they are inexpensive.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been wearing wool sock liners from REI...they are marketed to be worn under hiking socks, but I've been wearing them solo while skiing...I don't experience east coast conditions, but a couple of mornings it was around 10F and my feet were toasty warm with just the liners.

I think worn under ski socks, these would keep your feet very warm...and the best part, they are inexpensive.

This is a fabulous idea. I am not ready to invest in Hotronics yet.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just purchased Columbia Omni-Heat socks -- Omni-heat is a metallic fabric woven into the garment which supposedly reflects heat. The socks aren't on any "best of" lists, but I have Omni-heat mittens and they keep my hands incredibly warm. Skiing at Gore over MLK weekend, so it will be a real test. Cold toes are my forever problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna