• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best gear for brutally cold weather

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I grew up 20 min from NYC and never braved the cold to see the ball drop. I just couldn't justify the cold+crowds+potential danger. I had a friend who went one year and she wore a full length down puffy coat. I imagine if you are smack in the middle of a crowd of that many people it can't be that cold right? A 3am bus sounds a bit crazy but I hope she enjoys herself. Once in a lifetime for sure!

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
Adding a vest to my core and switching to wool long underwear has really helped me be warmer. I also wear a thin facemask (the pull-over style) under my helmet. I still struggle with cold fingers and toes, but when my body doesn't have to struggle to keep my core warm, I feel better overall.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG 25F BELOW!!! this is too brutal... I went out to load the woodstove with everything on.. should have worn my googles my eye lashes were freezing.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had trouble keeping my toes warm in this cold snap. Today I had my Hotronics cranking AND an adhesive toe warner on top of my forefoot--just behind the toes (only place there was space enough for it) and my toes were STILL cold!

I spray my feet with anti-perspirant when it's cold, and also make sure I start with dry socks and dry feet.

May have to try Boot Gloves.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had trouble keeping my toes warm in this cold snap. Today I had my Hotronics cranking AND an adhesive toe warner on top of my forefoot--just behind the toes (only place there was space enough for it) and my toes were STILL cold!

I spray my feet with anti-perspirant when it's cold, and also make sure I start with dry socks and dry feet.

My new boots & toe heaters w/boot gloves were warm today, my body got cold after 1.5-2hrs
when I was a kid we'd put absorbine Jr. on our feet before skating.
I was thinking of that today.
we also used bread bags for insulation and were waterproof.
ice skates were thin leather like my old racing XC ski boots, where my frost bitten toes came from!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

It's been recommended to me to also put toe warmers on top of the boot, but under the boot glove.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been recommended to me to also put toe warmers on top of the boot, but under the boot glove.

Hmmm... on the outside?

I put mine on the top of my foot w/the square/biggest portion close to my toes.
another friend puts them sideways! any heat on my toes is appreciated!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My body has decided the cold problem for me, at least for this week. And this IS a whine! At the end of my pass black out week I got together with a bunch of sailing friends. And yes, now I have the cold or crap they got from their kids and grand-kids!! AUUUUUUGH.

So I have a paid for place up North and am also heating my condo here in RI. AND with a possible major storm to bury us down here. More AUUUUUUUUGH!

Logically I know I would be skiing a run or two, then in, and back out. But ........ my friends here don't get my love of skiing so I needed to vent where it will be understood! Thanks! Stay warm, stay safe, keep skiing! :becky:

newboots

Angel Diva
Soon, @Abbi, soon you'll be skiing again. Can't wait to ski with you!

I'm going out today for my:
"one run - warm up - one run - warm up - decide whether to go home"
trip to the hill.

Feel better soon!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Soon, @Abbi, soon you'll be skiing again. Can't wait to ski with you!

I'm going out today for my:
"one run - warm up - one run - warm up - decide whether to go home"
trip to the hill

Feel better soon!

Thanks!! I HAD planned to ski with you this week!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that stinks, Abbi. Feel better soon!

I'm delaying a bit before I head out. Usually I'm there right at opening, but I'm giving it a bit of time to warm up today -- and I use the term "warm up" loosely.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, we are going out later. No sense going now when it says -14 outside. I think we'll wait until it's -2 or -1! Can't wait for zero or above or we'll risk darkness!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, that stinks, Abbi. Feel better soon!

I'm delaying a bit before I head out. Usually I'm there right at opening, but I'm giving it a bit of time to warm up today -- and I use the term "warm up" loosely.

I know you (and I) are generally early birds. Waiting for it to come 'up' to the zero range makes sense to me!! I hear there might be a one day 'heat wave' for tomorrow and get up to 20? :eek:

echo_VT

Angel Diva
I hate to commit product-blasphemy but based on my experience today I have to give a BIG thumbs down to the Hestra Heli army leather gloves. I wore them today with a decent pair of liners and my hands were freezing to the point of frost nip. I don't have any circulation issues and my hands are about average as far as a tendency to get cold. But today they were in agony. Which was all the more disappointing because the Helis were not cheap and I'd been saving up to buy them as my "brutal weather" gloves.

In desperation I went into the on-mountain shop and picked up a pair of Gordini "polar" goose down mittens. And they are seriously warm and literally saved the day. Also not cheap, though.

On a more positive note, I had a wild hair this fall and decided it might be a good idea to get an extra set of batteries for my Hotronics. And that was a day-saving decision this afternoon, because my batteries died at about 2pm and my feet started to really hurt from the cold. If I hadn't had a spare pair I would have had to quit.

i think if you want really good gloves, you should look at expedition gloves. my husband has a pair from outdoor research and they are the only things that keeps his hands warm all day while he's teaching on-hill.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i saw several folks out with boot gloves and they said while it's not great, it does help stop the wind from blowing thru. i know some people that duck tape up the top of their boot as well where the logo is.

i think the person upthread means to put the toe warmer on top of the toes before putting it in the boot - the boot glove goes over the boot.

i didn't do anything special except pile on the layers on my face and my hands. it didn't matter, i was frigid cold. i had two underlayers (a wool and a fleece) under my ski pant which is already heavy/insulating. and i had an under layer, a wool layer, a fleece layer under a puffy jacket. i had at least 3-4 face layers too. and 3 hand layers (including a hestra mitt). it didn't matter.

i just skiied with lots of turns to warm up honestly. it was fine, except when we got to the top. our temps were -4 to -2 F, but feels like -18F.

it wasn't pleasant...! we could last an hour at most for the most part. by hour 2 everything starts going numb.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i think if you want really good gloves, you should look at expedition gloves. my husband has a pair from outdoor research and they are the only things that keeps his hands warm all day while he's teaching on-hill.

I got a pair of OR gloves for Christmas...they are rated from -5 to 25F...I wore them skiing in Steamboat last week, and my hands actually got hot!

I love them...the fit is super nice, too...

echo_VT

Angel Diva
there is an entire expedition line from OR as well as some other companies. (like for Everest attempts or similar) - i expect those to be the warmest you can get.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna