• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Becoming a ski instructor

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
I noticed many of you are ski instructors. My family suggested I become a one part time instructor that the kids are getting older? What training is involved? How do you get certified? I wouldn't do it this season....maybe next. Thoughts?

Jilly

Staff member
PM Perma-grin, tcarey, volklgirl and KatyPerry. All are certified PSIA. Us Canucks are little different with ours.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What an exciting topic! (is my 2 cents)

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Contact the ski school at your home mountain. Different ski schools have different methods of hiring. Most ski schools don't require you to be certified at the beginning. However, you can check out your local PSIA division and take the Level 1 course. Good luck. It is a ton of fun and your skiing will improve dramatically.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do a google search for hiring fairs at you local mountains. Call to find out the dates if you can't find anything on the internet. Around here in New England it's usually in October. They tend to coordinate them so that they all are on one day and you just can't get to them all, but I don't know where you live and how many mountains are near you nor whether they all do it on the same day.

Show up. Apply. Take a passport or social security card and picture id to assure them that you are a bonafide citizen, in case they hire you on the spot.

There are mountains around here in New England where you won't teach much. There are other mountains around here where it's constant teaching. Do you want to teach constantly, or not? Do you want to teach little kids all the time, or adults? Do you want to attend training and go for Level I then Level II and so on? Or not? Around here people get hired on the basis of telling the interviewer about themselves. There's no on-snow interview or check to see if you know what you're doing on snow. But that may be very very different where you are. Around here more instructors are always needed.

Are you young (18-30?) If so, they might automatically put you with the little children, since this takes lots of energy and the ability to pick up 5 and 6 year olds all day long. But if you're grey haired they might put you with the adults. At least around here that's the knee-jerk response of the ski school directors. During the interview ask for what you want - adult line-up or children's program or seasonal program, or whatever. You can tell what the options are at your local mountains by perusing their ski school pages on the internet.

At least one mountain near me makes you PAY to take a how-to-teach-skiing course before they will hire you. Then if you pass you get hired. Their teachers teach a lot, and they take it very seriously. I've heard the course is very good. The other mountains hire you and give you some early season on-snow training for how to teach. Maybe. If there's snow when they have it planned. If you miss the training session, nobody cares and you get assigned to teach lessons anyway. It's very laid back. That happened to me. I've fumbled my way through the first four years of instructing without any organized training, because every year during that on-snow training something came up that kept it from happening. Either it didn't snow, or I was at a race camp, or something.

Getting certified is optional. First you pay up front to join PSIA. Then you teach and get some training at your local mountain. You buy some books from PSIA that teach you the language and introduce the PSIA teaching methodology, which may or may not match what your mountain tells you to do. If you want to take the test to get your Level I certification, you take some prerequisite course from PSIA (which you pay for) then you take the exam, with your ski school director's signature on your registration verifying that you've taught so many hours. You pay for this test too. Hopefully, you pass. It's pretty easy to pass Level I. Level II is another story. You take more PSIA courses and pay to take the Level II exam and maybe you pass. Certification may or may not be important for your work life at the mountain. It may or may not be important for your self-esteem. Teaching certainly tends to make you self-conscious about your skiing. There's a joke... What's the difference between a ski instructor that makes a skiing mistake and and a beginner that makes a skiing mistake? The ski instructor looks around to see who was watching.

You won't make much money, even if you work constantly. But you'll have fun. I absolutely love it. I wouldn't stop teaching for any reason. Instructor friends are the best, and you get to share your passion every day when you teach. Best of luck.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Instructing was the most fun job I have ever had. I worked nightshift at my regular job, so, after sleeping a few hours, off I'd go to our little local ski area to teach whoever might come in during weekdays for a lesson. Often there would be nobody, sometimes there would be a few or even large groups. When we had large groups scheduled, of course there were several other instructors there.
Before even considering it, I was encouraged by some instructors there to try teaching, because I spent so many hours there and they knew how much I loved skiing. Being there so often, either alone or with the kids, I talked to several of the instructors while on the lifts. As I said, this was a very small place. I was a bit scared to try, but did it. After filling out the required information for employment and actually getting hired, I shadowed other instuctors for several lessons and in time was assigned some classes. After a season I joined PSIA, got the required hours in, bought books, skied and taught, took clinics, then took my level 1 exam, which consisted of a written exam and snow time on the first day, then the second day of exams was on snow. For some people it is easier than for others. I think, because I began skiing at an older age than many people and because I was less than a year out of recovery from a difficult ACL/MCL surgery , it was a bit more difficult for me. Our final part of the on snow exam was a teaching scenerio and I happened to get the last one of the day, after having been out there all day and my knee was throbbing. It meant a lot to me to pass, much because my fellow instructors had believed in me and the more I thought about it the more frightened I got.:eek: I passed just fine, but it was an exhausting 2 days for me. Even so, I had planned to prepare for the level 2 exams after another season. Before that could take place our ski area closed, so because of my work schedule there was no way I could drive 2 hours to teach and also work my regular job. I really miss instructing and have kicked around the idea of doing it again, now that I no longer work anyplace. I have continued my PSIA membership and plan to take some clinics this season, because I've not done any for a few years.
Getting certified means better pay, but yes, it does cost some money to keep it up. The good thing is the clinics and education events, especially at larger ski areas and mountains, are very good and if nothing else they can improve a person's skiing and you make a ton of great people. Even at our smaller areas here, we have some very good education events for all levels.
I still have friends I met when teaching and there is nothing like taking a never ever skier out and seeing them make those first turns and watching them light up and smile, no matter what their age might be.
Our little ski area had pathetic rental equipment, which didn't make teaching easy. We were lucky to have a very good ski school director with a lot of experience. He taught me so much, as did some of the other instructors. When we weren't teaching we could play and it was a blast to have all of them to play with.:ski::ski::ski:

It's hard to imagine that you would not enjoy instructing, but if you find it's not for you, there isn't much lost in trying it. Ya never know till you try! Good luck with your decision.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Getting certified means better pay, but yes, it does cost some money to keep it up. The good thing is the clinics and education events, especially at larger ski areas and mountains, are very good and if nothing else they can improve a person's skiing and you make a ton of great people. Even at our smaller areas here, we have some very good education events for all levels.

Does the increase is pay cover the out-of-pocket costs to maintain an active PSIA membership in your region? I realize there are other advantages that are not as clear cut.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
N
Does the increase is pay cover the out-of-pocket costs to maintain an active PSIA membership in your region? I realize there are other advantages that are not as clear cut.
No, ski instructing will cost you. In most places, it's not a living wage for sure, even if you instruct full-time. What you get back money-wise is a free no-blackouts season pass, sometimes a season pass for family members, a free locker on-site, free training from your own mountain's training staff, deep-deep discounts for lift tickets at other mountains, and pro discounts (often significant) on brand new ski gear.You make a little bit teaching, but not much. Taking your expenses off your taxes is iffy; that can be a pay-back too if you can manage to do it effectively but I think most can't.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Taking your expenses off your taxes is iffy; that can be a pay-back too if you can manage to do it effectively but I think most can't.
Went through this for years with DH. Showing a repeated loss, even with a "hobby" income, is inadvisable; it can "red flag" the IRS. Even if you have a primary job that doesn't have big deductible expenses (such as uniform cost, membership dues, clinics, etc). We've always just let it go, FWIW.

One nice perk, with national membership, is a lot of reasonably good equipment discounts. The pro form package has been updated and is much more buyer-friendly in recent years.

PSIA requires an education event taken every other year (or--now they have half-credit events as well, catering to the many who have full-time jobs and can't easily do a multi-day event) to maintain certification.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Went through this for years with DH. Showing a repeated loss, even with a "hobby" income, is inadvisable; it can "red flag" the IRS. Even if you have a primary job that doesn't have big deductible expenses (such as uniform cost, membership dues, clinics, etc). We've always just let it go, FWIW.

One nice perk, with national membership, is a lot of reasonably good equipment discounts. The pro form package has been updated and is much more buyer-friendly in recent years.

PSIA requires an education event taken every other year (or--now they have half-credit events as well, catering to the many who have full-time jobs and can't easily do a multi-day event) to maintain certification.
Yeah, know about not being able to file a Schedule C regularly unless have some income every 2 out of 5 years. My husband and I did a little consulting on the side when we were working. Enough to justify buying new computer gadgets equipment a bit more often than absolutely necessary.

How much does a PSIA education event cost? Let's say just the registration for a 1 day event.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It obviously helps a bit if you live within easy driving distance of where you participate in education events. I could never see paying to stay someplace for a night or two, plus food and gas on top of the registration fee. I didn't have to take the clinics when I was teaching, but the regulations have changed. If you want to keep your certified status you have to participate in qualified education events every season or every other, according to the length of the event.
Personally, I don't agree that it should be this way and sort of see it as another way to force members to contribute more money, that often they do not have. If a person has worked toward and achieved certification they should never lose that status, IMO. Maybe they should have to participate in yearly clinics, if teaching, but certainly not lose something they worked so hard to get. For most people it is a proud time when they get that Level 1, 2, or 3 printed on their status. This is ski instructing not nursing or something like that. Sure it is important to keep up on methods and such, but I hardly think that requires paying hundreds of dollars, and sometimes time off of work, to keep a certification level one already has.

That said, it is a matter of where you teach, how many hours you put into it, whether you get private, semi private or group lessons, often determines how much you get paid. Our little area couldn't pay a lot, but I did get a free pass, comps for friends and family and food discount. I mostly did it because of my love for skiing and people. Sharing the joy with people was so much fun. Being in Indiana and near a large university, we had an interesting variety of folks who came to ski. Probably my most interesting group was 6 African students, who were going to Indiana University for a semester. I forget their actual story, but they were never evers, hadn't even seen snow before, were maybe 20 - 25 yrs old, very tall and just wonderfully polite, happy young men. All of them did pretty well, except one, who was rather a klutz, but he had a great attitude about it. We had a lousy rope tow on our beginner hill and he just could not manage that thing. He was all arms and legs that wanted to go 4 different directions. I untangled him and picked him up several times, as he laughed and apologized for not getting it. Eventually he did get up the hill and after falling, finally learning how to get up from a fall and how to simply stand up without sliding down the hill until ready, he managed to make a few "runs" down the tiny slope, grinning ear to ear. His friends cheered and he was as proud as if he'd gone down "Birds of Prey". That group never made it off of the bunny slope, but it didn't bother them. Money didn't honestly matter to me . I'd have taken that class for free, if I could have, for the simple joy of sharing with those guys. I had many similar classes. One private lesson I had was an 82 yr old man. I saw him from a distance, sporting his red and black plaid wool coat, hat with earflaps and looking read to go. Come to find out he had been a skier for many years, was a WWII vet and had been quite a good skier. He was hard of hearing, his wife was ill and bedfast, but he cared for her at home. He lived nearby and decided to take some time away for himself, but even at our small area, he was afraid to ski alone. All he wanted was a companion to make sure he was safe and help him if he should fall. He didn't fall once. He was a bit stiff, but he was obviously a great skier in his younger days. He came back a few times and always requested me. One time I did have to decline, because I'd worked for 10 hrs, about to leave for home, and was beat! I asked one of my male instructor buddies if he'd please accompany this man for an hour or so. My client wasn't so sure about that, but by the time I had taken off my skis, gotten ready to go, etc. I thought I'd see if I could catch him before I left for home. I did and asked him how he liked my friend as his companion for the day. He smiled and gave me a hug, telling me he had a wonderful time, but he then said," I liked him just fine, but he's not as purty as you." LOL :redface: He gave me a big hug and thanked me for suggesting my friend go with him , because they talked military talk and had a nice guy-like time. Yes, my fellow instructor had a good time with this man too.
I know this is a lot of reading, but it gives a person, thinking about teaching, some idea of one reason to teach, if they are not sure about it.
Sure, you can make some money. I did, even at our area, but it wasn't a lot. I got so much more from the experience than money though.
One thing for sure, you can give it a try and if you don't like it well enough to get certified and stay with PSIA there isn't a lot lost. Ski instruction, much like teaching anything, is more of a passion for most I think, than a way to make much money, except in some places and circumstances.
You can go to the PSIA website and find out more about their end of it, except for a few of the links that require being a member to access. Much of it is open to the public though.

Again, good luck with whatever you decide.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know this is a lot of reading, but it gives a person, thinking about teaching, some idea of one reason to teach, if they are not sure about it.
Sure, you can make some money. I did, even at our area, but it wasn't a lot. I got so much more from the experience than money though.
One thing for sure, you can give it a try and if you don't like it well enough to get certified and stay with PSIA there isn't a lot lost. Ski instruction, much like teaching anything, is more of a passion for most I think, than a way to make much money, except in some places and circumstances.

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments. I'm really interested in learning more about the process. Gives me a better idea of what to expect from an instructor, depending on their background in terms of training with PSIA or some other method. I'm unlikely to become an instructor, mainly because I live too far away from any ski school for it to be practical even on a part-time basis.

Jilly

Staff member
Think I'll stick with the CSIA! Recalls every 3 years if you don't want to take a course. That may change in a few years, but for now....Recalls are free except for lift tickets is not your home area. Conventions, PDP days and special events, like the Ontario ladies day cost. But most are in the $ 100/day range including lifts. I think the most expensive is the upcoming fall members convention and the January super camp. These events are optional, but do count as recall if you need it. And in order to try out for the Interski team you need to be at Super Camp. Mt Ste. Anne in January brrr.....

Our dues get you your membership, insurance, skipro magazine and pro deals. The pro deals are not just ski stuff, but car and home insurance, rental cars, all kinds of things. The organization is looking out for us. Recalls are free except for lift tickets is not your home area.

I've been a certified instructor now for 28 years. The last 8 I have not been instructing but have kept my credentials up just in case I want to go back. I've got a full time job that pays me, I don't need the money I would get from instructing. Also why should I take a job away from someone that needs that pay cheque. Don't get me wrong, I love instructing, but....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Think I'll stick with the CSIA! Recalls every 3 years if you don't want to take a course.

What do you mean by "recall"? In the U.S., we talk about "product recalls" when something is defective but obviously that has nothing to do with your comments. :confused:

Jilly

Staff member
You need to take a seminar once every three years. It's an update on techique etc. Don't know why its call recall. They don't take your certification away unless you don't pay your dues. There's no pass or fail on a recall. But that's what its call. Your membership card even states recall year on it.

The problem I see in the Canadian system right now is there is no reason, except maybe pay or personal, to advance to the next level of certification. All levels are equal for pro-deals and voting at AGM's. When I got my level 1, you were a nobody. No pin, no deals, you were expected to go for your 2 to get those. I know people that will never go for their 2. They are happy were they are, and don't need to go further. Me, I want my 3!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Looks like if just trying to do the minimum to maintain an active PSIA membership, $100/year would do it. On top of the membership fee.
Sounds about right.
Our dues get you your membership, insurance, skipro magazine and pro deals. The pro deals are not just ski stuff, but car and home insurance, rental cars, all kinds of things. The organization is looking out for us. Recalls are free except for lift tickets is not your home area.

I've been a certified instructor now for 28 years. The last 8 I have not been instructing but have kept my credentials up just in case I want to go back. I've got a full time job that pays me, I don't need the money I would get from instructing. Also why should I take a job away from someone that needs that pay cheque. Don't get me wrong, I love instructing, but....
Definitely more perks with CSIA than PSIA! Best perk here, however, is the Subaru discount (which we have used, twice). DH was actively teaching for 29 years. Minimum days required here were just too much with his "real" job. It was working 12 hour days, 7 days a week, for 4 months (including his M-F job). No Can Do. He did this for 2 winters here before making the decision to go inactive. He maintains certification by taking continuing education event every other year. In fact, I think he's due this coming year??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga