• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Baselayer addict/slut

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mons Royale and icebreaker devotee here! Especially at clearance prices...

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seems like the best place to ask this question: What weight wool baselayers do you think should I invest in based on the below?
I usually ski Breckenridge in January and February.
DSG shell jacket (this one) with Eddie Bauer Microtherm 800 fill power down puffy jacket or 800 fill down vest underneath. This was my first season in the shell jacket because I outgrew my insulated jacket :noidea:
Last season I wore an Icebreaker wool tank top beneath a poly/spandex blend baselayer long sleeve crew neck and leggings.
Pants are an older Columbia Titanium model I adore and bought in two colors and sizes because they are just that good.

I am a sweaty, peri-menopausal mess. Literally sweat myself soaked walking the 100 yards or so from the ski valet to the lift, even with everything unzipped. I sweat from exertion too while skiing. I quickly became a blonde popsicle :brr:the moment I stopped moving, either on the lift or in the lodge, because I was generally damp throughout. It wasn't enjoyable.

Santa plans to bring me these new baselayers this year, and I am not sure what to ask him for based on the available weights - would 250 be too warm? Would 150 be too thin?

newboots

Angel Diva
So sorry! Did you always get hot? Was any part of you cold?

I’ve started getting hot in any situation that requires exertion - but on and off - flashes, of course.

Unless it’s around zero F, I can’t wear down. And I swear by merino baselayer tips and a wicking bottom. I wonder if your poly/spandex is trapping the heat and the sweat!

addendum: I ski in the East, where the cold can get very damp and chilling. And if I get damp and ride the lift in the wind, I am huddled in shivering misery. AND my hands and feet are heated in cold weather. They can still get cold.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sorry! Did you always get hot? Was any part of you cold?
I think I've run warm for a while but never to this extent for sure. Its grown progressively worse in my mid-40's. HRT does not help. Helmet vents were totally open. My insulated jacket would be damp-ish at times on warmer days, but nothing compared to how sweaty I was this past season with the new jacket. I thought the shell would be better for me overall.

Only my nose and toes were cold at times this past season.

Perhaps my thermal issues were also exacerbated by the mask requirements too now that I think about it - they were required everywhere, even outside.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Do you have vent zips? Last year (in my mid/late 40s) I decided I needed pit vents to manage the heat dump and it helped. I have a technical shell with some insulation (Patagonia Stretch NanoStorm) and wear— in Wisconsin - synthetic baselayer, midlayer (vary weights depending on temp: warmest is front zip TNF sweater, lightest is just another synthetic layer) and then the jacket. I have not been cold even on a stopped lift. Key is keeping my hands warm, so I stick warmers in the pockets of my gloves. I think you can dump or thin a layer?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seems like the best place to ask this question: What weight wool baselayers do you think should I invest in based on the below?
DSG shell jacket (this one) with Eddie Bauer Microtherm 800 fill power down puffy jacket or 800 fill down vest underneath. This was my first season in the shell jacket because I outgrew my insulated jacket :noidea:
Last season I wore an Icebreaker wool tank top beneath a poly/spandex blend baselayer long sleeve crew neck and leggings.
Pants are an older Columbia Titanium model I adore and bought in two colors and sizes because they are just that good.

I am a sweaty, peri-menopausal mess. Literally sweat myself soaked walking the 100 yards or so from the ski valet to the lift, even with everything unzipped. I sweat from exertion too while skiing. I quickly became a blonde popsicle :brr:the moment I stopped moving, either on the lift or in the lodge, because I was generally damp throughout. It wasn't enjoyable.

Santa plans to bring me these new baselayers this year, and I am not sure what to ask him for based on the available weights - would 250 be too warm? Would 150 be too thin?
I use a 200 base layer and it seems just right, in saying that when its early season I also add , wait for it , a Uniqlo x Alexander Wang heat tech long sleeved tee underneath. Its super fine and super stretchy and gives me just the right amount of extra warmth ...... I do run really cold though x

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a 140gsm base layer for most of the season, sometimes 200gsm when it's really cold (though the 140gsm does fine then too, just with a thicker midlayer). The 140gsm one is literally falling apart because it ends up being used almost every ski day (and shoved in and out of ski mitts, hahah). It's not too cold at all for me! I run hot with exertion and find it very comfortable.

1636081216194.png

Getting hard to find the actual thumb hole these days.... I might need to ask Santa for new baselayers too :(

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use a 140gsm base layer for most of the season, sometimes 200gsm when it's really cold (though the 140gsm does fine then too, just with a thicker midlayer). The 140gsm one is literally falling apart because it ends up being used almost every ski day (and shoved in and out of ski mitts, hahah). It's not too cold at all for me! I run hot with exertion and find it very comfortable.

View attachment 16896

Getting hard to find the actual thumb hole these days.... I might need to ask Santa for new baselayers too :(
Mons ran a repair clinic a week or so ago in Wanaka so people could get their gear fixed, incl cuffs !!! You could perhaps contact them and see if they still have any replacement cuffs available x

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mons ran a repair clinic a week or so ago in Wanaka so people could get their gear fixed, incl cuffs !!! You could perhaps contact them and see if they still have any replacement cuffs available x
Omg what!! That's such a good idea. I wonder if they have any in their super light 140gsm fabric... I'll contact them :smile: Thanks!

elemmac

Angel Diva

95% of my ski days I wear a 200 weight Smartwool crew neck shirt, or a 150 weight t-shirt with a grid fleece layer. That's generally layered under an insulator (TNF Thermoball) and a shell. This is what I would bring if I were travelling to Summit County to ski as well. If you find yourself sweating, then getting cold, I would consider swapping out your down for something more breathable...or with pit zips.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have vent zips?
I sure do! Great big vents under the arms of my shell jacket and from mid-thigh to lower calf on the outer leg of my pants. They help (though I wonder if I would be better off with inner thigh vents on my pants, but love my pants too much to try anything else). Thanks for the recs! I may need to try a synthetic midlayer instead of the down. I had one years ago from mountain hardware that was pretty great, but I outgrew that one too...

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
My best base layer is a wicking/activity one from Athleta … it’s VERY snug and keeps me feeling like I’m in a hug, but not uncomfortable. I keep my closest-to-skin layer focused on wicking. ;) Midlayer and jacket for warmth.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My best base layer is a wicking/activity one from Athleta … it’s VERY snug and keeps me feeling like I’m in a hug, but not uncomfortable. I keep my closest-to-skin layer focused on wicking. ;) Midlayer and jacket for warmth.
Do you know which one it is, or if they have a similar style currently? I love Athleta.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I think the closest current is the momentum long sleeve. It’s fantastic as a baselayer

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sure do own many base layers and it's clear I have some sort of addiction to tops. Over the last 2 seasons I realize my absolute go-to tops are my Patagonia R1 long sleeve crew and the R1 pullover (the one with upper zip). They say they are fleece, but I consider them waffle weave. I run hot, DH runs cold. I use mine interchangeably every ski trip, DH only uses his R1 pullover if it's 15 and under. Spendy, but other sites may offer discounts, so search the Internet. Order your regular size but know the cut is slim.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@bsskier …that’s my middle weight middle layer (I have 5 weights of mid layer because that’s the kind of Diva I am.) :smile:
I have a family member with the same layering strategy, but it never seems to be enough when skiing in the northern Rockies. As you know, there's limited stretch with those R1 bases, so I guess they're great for layering.

I saw a photo of me wearing my R1 long sleeve last season while sitting to enjoy a lovely mid-mountain outdoor lunch. For as great as these R1's are, Patagonia clearly never tested this product in real life situations. This top is diabolical in its ability to publicly display the temporary muffin top that is only induced with fine après' attendance.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sure do own many base layers and it's clear I have some sort of addiction to tops. Over the last 2 seasons I realize my absolute go-to tops are my Patagonia R1 long sleeve crew and the R1 pullover (the one with upper zip). They say they are fleece, but I consider them waffle weave. I run hot, DH runs cold. I use mine interchangeably every ski trip, DH only uses his R1 pullover if it's 15 and under. Spendy, but other sites may offer discounts, so search the Internet. Order your regular size but know the cut is slim.

My husband has one of those and loves it. I think I will give it a try too

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I too am baselayer obsessed. Mons and Icebreaker are my go tos but my daughter gets hives from wool. She is outgrowing the fleece Burton ones she used to use. Any not boring synthetic ones you suggest? She likes the yellow ones frkm Halfdays but I can’t find any review on them.

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too am baselayer obsessed. Mons and Icebreaker are my go tos but my daughter gets hives from wool. She is outgrowing the fleece Burton ones she used to use. Any not boring synthetic ones you suggest? She likes the yellow ones frkm Halfdays but I can’t find any review on them.
Have you tried the brand Eivy, lots of really fun options x

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna