• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Banff/Lake Louise for this long weekend! Help!

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
We have ended up needing to be in Calgary unexpectedly this weekend. So we have decided to stay in Banff and double the trip up as a mini family vacay. For mountains, we have only every skied Marmot (went the past 3 springs), else it's been local mole hills. The 5 year old is a decent green skier at Marmot and has done a short blue run there (a blue that linked some green if I recall correctly), but I'd like to keep her on greens day one with a group or private lesson. The 11 year old did Marmot blues with her dad and did a couple blacks, but she didn't enjoy those as much as she isn't quite there.

Should we do Sunshine one day, Lake Louise the other? Or stick to one resort for both days? If so, which one? As for me, I can barely do blue. I might be able to move up to blue this year if I focus. But I am kind of a chicken #### so some place with nice greens that I can do with the 5 year old is fine for me this trip.

Last edited:

alison wong

Angel Diva
I would recommend Sunshine Village (SSV) at least on the 1st day because of 2 reasons:

1) Less steep terrains (compare to Lake Louise). SSV's blue is equivalent to Lake Louise (LL) green.
You can start with "Strawberry" chair to see how you guys manage. That chair supposed to serve the "easiest" trails.

2) Better snow conditions than LL. SSV is higher in elevation than LL. Even though LL front side has easier trails, it can be icy. Back side has better snow, but I think it is mostly blue. (someone please confirm this, I recall from memory).

If you and your kids are managing SSV then you can consider LL the 2nd day. Or else, I think you'd be perfectly happy with SSV both days. I am a low intermediate and I prefer SSV because I do ski more terrains there.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Not much open yet. Sunshine is just opening today.

Ya I think Lake Louise owned yesterday with one lift and 3 runs and today they said they were opening 3 more lifts.

Sunshine said it was opening today but didn’t mention how many lifts/runs. Was hoping would be a decent amount of greens/blues by Friday.

alison wong

Angel Diva
@SkiMauw - correct LL opened yesterday. SSV today.

If you have a Facebook account, check out: "Ski Banff Canada's Big 3" . There is a video of LL, I think it featured WiWaxy trail on front side. They also post photos regularly on the FB account.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
@SkiMauw - correct LL opened yesterday. SSV today.

If you have a Facebook account, check out: "Ski Banff Canada's Big 3" . There is a video of LL, I think it featured WiWaxy trail on front side. They also post photos regularly on the FB account.

Thanks! Liked the page so I can keep tabs on it. I think I am going to take your advice and do SV for both days. That way we get comfortable on a few runs on the one day and are familiar with them when we go back the 2nd day. I wish that runs were rated based on some standard criteria so they could be compared across resorts! Not just "green means the easiest we have here, but maybe it's black compared to the hill you're used to". LOL I will cross my fingers and hope that SV has a bunch of green and blues open this weekend!

Catherine

Certified Ski Diva
Everyone I talked to said Sunshine was great today.
The magic carpet will be open, start there. Then there is a nice green off WaWa chair, called meadow park.
I wish there was some standardization on ski runs as well.
Maybe see you tomorrow !

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Everyone I talked to said Sunshine was great today.
The magic carpet will be open, start there. Then there is a nice green off WaWa chair, called meadow park.
I wish there was some standardization on ski runs as well.
Maybe see you tomorrow !

Won't be there tomorrow, are you there Friday or Sunday?

Christy

Angel Diva
I think standardization of ratings could actually cause trouble, since there are so many variables like conditions, crowds, etc. Right now you're sort of forced to learn about individual runs and conditions if you want to know more about runs. If there were standardized ratings based on, say, pitch and width, people could take for granted that the run will be exactly like a same-rated run at another resort, when in fact base depth, snow conditions, etc might make it a much harder or easier run.

Find a mountain host once there and talk to them about the runs. Early season/ low snow base can mean even the ratings that have been established might not be completely accurate.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Find a mountain host once there and talk to them about the runs. Early season/ low snow base can mean even the ratings that have been established might not be completely accurate.

What is a mountain host? We have only been to one mountain resort and we keep going back there and they don't have mountain hosts. Do I find them at the rental location? and do we pay for their services?

Jilly

Staff member
Mountain Host is a person that would lead you around the resort to familiarize yourself with the place. They usually have a meeting place with specific times. I've never paid for this, but a tip is usually nice if you learn something or had a really good time. They are usually volunteers would get a free pass to guide you around. At Tremblant we call them Info-Guides. They have a large" ?" on the back of their jacket. There should be information about them on a resort website.

@contesstant - is/was (?) a guide in Utah.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What is a mountain host? We have only been to one mountain resort and we keep going back there and they don't have mountain hosts. Do I find them at the rental location? and do we pay for their services?
Some destination resorts have "mountain hosts." It's really nice when going for the first time. At Big Sky, there are probably three hosts standing at various locations at the base. One right at the loading/unloading zone, one in the middle of the plaza, and one closer to the base of the lifts. They also are guides for a free daily mountain tour. Not even allowed to take tips so really a free service. The tours are on groomers only, greens and/or blues. If there is a large group then they split up the people by skiing ability. The hosts can talk about where to go for advanced/expert terrain at various stops during the tour. A tour can last 2 or even 3 hours depending on the location. It's a great way to get to know a big mountain.

The other places I've done free mountain tours include Snowbird, Brighton, Sun Valley, and Aspen Highlands. In contrast, Alta does not have mountain hosts. Taos has hosts at the base but the only free mountain tour available last season was for MCP holders.

I think @alison wong did a free mountain tour around Banff.

Even small mountain can have hosts at the base. I was impressed the first time I went to Whitetail (central PA) that there were a couple hosts standing around on a weekday during early January when the temperature was in the single digits. Probably never had more than 30 cars in the parking lot that day.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Mountain Host sounds like an awesome service! I know one option for Sunshine is a Guide Adventure, but that is a cost (which I am fine with) but requires you to be intermediate and above, which I don't believe I am. Nor is my 5 year old.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mountain Host sounds like an awesome service! I know one option for Sunshine is a Guide Adventure, but that is a cost (which I am fine with) but requires you to be intermediate and above, which I don't believe I am. Nor is my 5 year old.
Something called Guide Adventure is a completely different service. That's more for people who are ready for off-piste adventures but would rather follow someone who knows the mountain well. Can be a good way to get to know where to go when on a short trip but plan to return in the future. Guided "adventures" are also very useful for those who do solo ski trips for whatever reason.

For example, at Alta there is an afternoon Adult Mountain Workshop for advanced/expert skiers. For about $90, can ski with a very experienced instructor for 2.5 hours. Not a lesson but means it's also possible to get some technique tips if of interest. Very useful when there is low visibility during a snowstorm for someone who doesn't want to waste time figuring out where to ski next.

Christy

Angel Diva
Just to clarify, while sometimes mountain hosts do lead tours, often they just stand around at certain places in very visible gear (something that says MOUNTAIN HOST or X RESORT) simply to answer questions. You'll often find them at the base.

mountain-host-leading-a-skiing-group-on-blackcomb-mountain-whistler-BBJN01.jpg

B-1.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was a "guest services" person who was on the mountain a lot, but we never did do tours last season. I believe the tours are being brought back this season (I'll find out this weekend.) We'd stand near the base and answer questions, ski around and answer questions, help skiers who were lost or maybe in over their heads, (I called patrol last year for one of those.) We also take pictures and generally try to make sure everyone is enjoying their day on the mountain! Fun stuff.

alison wong

Angel Diva
@SkiMauw

Sunshine village offers free mountain tour daily at 12 noon. The mountain hosts at SSV are in blue uniforms (blue jacket and blue pants). I wasn't able to attach photo here due to large size. But I am attaching the weblink for my Banff ski trip report from last year. In the report, there is a photo of me and mountain host. You can take a look:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...nff-trip-march-9-–-11-2017.21745/#post-343358

I did not mention SSV mountain tours to you because it offers light blue (easy blue) and dark blue (hard blue) tours. They don't offer any green trail tours.

However, I agreed everything @marzNC said about taking advantage of free mtn tour. In fact, I skied SSV 2 years in a row and for both visits, I took advantage of their mountain tours. If you think the light blue tour is too advance for you, you can still approach a mountain host, to seek recommendations, including trail conditions, crowds, which part of the mtn to avoid at what time.... they are "locals", so they usually offer solid and reliable suggestions.

I also emailed SSV mountain host (he is the guy in the pic from my trip report last year), to see if he has any recommendations on the green runs at SSV. Once he replies, I will post here.

Hope you will enjoy SSV. I know I did.

alison wong

Angel Diva
One more thing:

When I took a free mtn tour at a East coast resort, my mountain host told me guests can request mountain host to do a run with them, if they are first time visitors.

But I don't know if this can be requested at SSV, I'd assume different ski resorts have different policies?

I guess it never hurts to ask (if you'd want)?

alison wong

Angel Diva
@SkiMauw

I just rec'd a detailed reply from SSV mountain host, Brian. Here is the info.:

"There are limited runs and lifts open at Sunshine. And I haven't been out skiing yet this fall so I can't give you a first hand account.

Only the Strawberry Chair, Wawa, Jackrabbit and Wolverine, and of course the gondola are open. So there's not much snow there yet, eventhough Sunshine opened a bit ahead of the scheduled Nov. 11 start date.

Every day, Sunshine has a report on runs that are opened and ones that hae been groomed that day. Here's a link form today's:
https://sdds4.intermaps.com/skigebietsmanager_template/Default.aspx?lang=en&region_id=2486&sortby=numbers
I know they are trying to get more runs open but how quickly that happens depends mostly on the amount of snow we get.

But, in the meantime, there are a number of green runs open and groomed off of the Strawberry chair. And on WaWa, Meadow Park is open, (green) as is Tin Can Alley, which is a pretty easy blue run.

In total, according to today's report, there are 11 green runs open, 10 of which have been groomed

Some of these are off Jack Rabbit and Wolverine, including the longest, which is Banff Avenue, down to the gondola station at The Goat's Eye Lodge. The ski out down Banff Avenue from the Goat's Eye Lodge to the parking lot is not yet open.

You are correct about the tours offered by the Snowhosts. We do not typically offer "Green" tours, although this group of guests may want to show up at noon and see what is being offered. Tomorrow is the first day of Snowhost tours. (I don't start until December.)"

Hope his info helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga