• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpacking trip #1 - Aborted

Moongidget

Angel Diva
DH, Copper the Shiba Inu and I set out for our first backpacking trip yesterday. We were supposed to go last weekend, however I came down with a vicious summer cold. Last weekend we had record temps and heat. Ideal for backpacking. This weekend rain was forecasted. Not ideal for backpacking. But after 10 years of living here, we've learned that 50% chance of scattered storms in Colorado means it probably won't rain wherever you're at. So we set out at noon from Boulder. Sunny skies.

Our drive up I-70 included off and on showers. Where it was not raining, the road was wet. We sorta hoped that these afternoon storms would peter out and the sun would come out again. Either that, or we'd drive west far enough so that we'd get out of their way.

We arrived at the Missouri Lakes Trailhead after a wrong turn and 15 minute drive in the wrong direction. Still raining. When we get out of the car though, it was really just a mist, and then it stopped raining completely. We geared up, put on our rain gear, and put packcovers on our packs. Still hoping at this point the rain was done and things would dry up. The skies did not look promising though.

After 5-10 minutes of hiking the rain started. We kept going thinking we are hardy sorts and a little rain was not going to stop our fun. We hiked for an hour and 15 minutes in the solid, steady rain before we decided to turn around. I was thinking maybe we'd just sleep in the car at the trailhead. DH brought up the incredible likelihood that even tomorrow, we might be in the same situation. He advocated for a full on bail, dinner in Minturn and driving home. Which we did.

292412_10151015232865629_1719401385_n.jpg

Me in the yellow raincoat. Geargirl, I will be pm'ing you about this... Copper, wearing his pack, and a plastic oven bag, typically our garbage bag in the backcounty, as a rainslicker. He appears to be growling at the water!

602400_10151015233415629_1481336286_n.jpg

DH self portrait, looking wet and cute as ever.

K9hndler98

Certified Ski Diva
We tried a fly-fishing backpacking trip last month. Unfortunately my hubby turned into "Betty" (think Betty White from the snicker's commercials" and whined for 24 hours straight.....

Moongidget

Angel Diva
This was not our first trip, just our first trip this season. I realized my title was not super clear. DH is generally tougher than me. I was surprised when he wanted to pack it in.

Today we went to REI and bought rainpants, and we'll give the same trail another go next weekend. Now I just need to deal with Marmot/REI regarding a new raincoat, and we'll be set.

Moongidget

Angel Diva
We went out again last weekend for the Missouri Lakes and Fancy Pass Loop. We made it this time.

181322_10151038370100629_1511541041_n.jpg

This is one of the Missouri Lakes.

524011_10151038370325629_2035176631_n.jpg

A little friend we made. The quietest Marmot I've ever seen. Didn't make a peep.

552514_10151038370415629_1865157537_n.jpg

Treasure Vault Lake area between the Missouri and Fancy Passes. There were old mines in the area.

313917_10151038370575629_1972345494_n.jpg

Me suffering through a brief rainstorm in my disposable poncho. After last week's rain, we decided to send my raincoat back to Marmot for replacement. (Thanks for the advice geargrrl) DH kept calling me Frodo!

564005_10151038370680629_1841190085_n.jpg

Headed over Fancy Pass. The rainstorm and us were headed in the same direction, so we slowed down and spread out, just in case. Me and my busted knees don't go very fast downhill anymore, so I was certain the storm would be faster than us. It was.

252634_10151038370840629_1733377269_n.jpg

No one said I should have brought my skis!

561219_10151038370980629_1494178197_n.jpg

Confident the rain has stopped, for now. This is above Fancy Lakes, just slightly lower than Fancy Pass.

The rain actually was off and on from this point onward. I never bothered with the Frodo poncho again, but we did put our pack covers on again. As we walked out to the car, another family was setting out. A dude asked if we'd be willing to sell a raincover. I gave him mine, and told him no $ was necessary, please just pay it forward. It seemed like the right thing to do. Plus, how can you charge someone for a 10 year old, off brand packcover? I hope he used the opportunity to explain to the kid (his son?) the meaning of what I did for them, and what I was asking him to do. Being without a packcover most likely would not have been life threatening, but getting all of your gear wet would have taken the fun out of the trip.

I have a new packcover on order. Should arrive today. :smile:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like a fun trip MG. Beautiful pics! I like your DH's self-portrait, he has Adventure written all over his face. Cooper's a Big Shiba. Thanks for sharing the stories.

mustski

Angel Diva
The pics are gorgeous. I am down and out with a summer flu, bored and browsing the internet. We are heading up to the mountains next week and I am just hoping to have enough energy to go for a walk. I'm sure this will pass and I will feel fine by Saturday. In the meantime your pics and adventure story have motivated me.

Moongidget

Angel Diva
Sounds like a fun trip MG. Beautiful pics! I like your DH's self-portrait, he has Adventure written all over his face. Cooper's a Big Shiba. Thanks for sharing the stories.
Yeah, he's a tall boy. I think he's at the top of the 'normal' height & weight charts for male Shibas. He dwarfs females, but under all that fur, he's skinny!

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva
Wonderful hiking Trip report MG with such beautiful pics ... I was wondering what the creature that looked like a giant chipmunk was... So that's a Marmot! Looks like you, DH and cooper had loads of fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna