• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Awful Boot Pain Issue

manymoreshoes

Certified Ski Diva
^^^ Remember, flex can be softened. If the foot fit isn't there, however, there isn't much else that can happen.

I know that, but vacuum fit are very expensive boots …… I mean, if I get a pair of boots in 200 euro, they fit me very well only with a too high flex, I'd like to soften them. But for 500 euro…… I think I wast my money.
I hope next year fischer expand the product line and make a 90-100 flex boots for ladies, make them 50-100 euro cheaper than the 110s. That will be great for me.:drool:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I will be trying on those Fischers as soon as I get to Mammoth. I too have a number of foot issues and I think, given how much we ski, that it would be worth it to spend the money if they seem perfect.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Got the Fischers!!

Sooooo, I officially got the Fischer Trinity Vacuum 110 boot!! The flex was good for me, and I found out that they are much less stiff than my Langes from last year.

When I first put on the boot to try just for shell fit and then in the liner, the first thing I noticed was how comfortable they were and how light they were. I want to say the figure is that they are actually 25% lighter than a normal boot because of the new material. My bootfitter thought this would be the best option for me based on my troublesome feet.

The fitting process:

First thing he did was rearrange the buckles, not sure what that entailed as he went in back to use some tools I assume. Then I put the boots back on and stood up on the Fischer system in these grooves. Then we set the forward lean and foot spacing.

Next I got off and took off the boots. The shells alone went into the oven and baked for ~12 mins. While they were cooking, I had padding placed on each side of the bony prominences on my ankles and the 6th toe and the opposite bone near the big toe. There were also toe caps to put on. Then a nylon stocking was put on to keep everything in its place.

The timer then dings for the boot shells which now look like putty (well certain parts of it), it's amazing how maleable they become!! He then inserted the liners with my footbeds in them and I slipped my feet in, being careful not to flex because of how maleable the plastic was. Let's just say this was extremely uncomfortable with all the padding!!!!! That's actually an understatement, I mean the boots fit pretty snuggly before all the padding, so you can only imagine how tight/bordering on painful with hard pads digging in places that it was!

Next comes cold packs wrapped around each boot and then the pressure bag is zipped on. Then with all this you step back onto the system into the metal slots and lean into the previously set forward lean notches. The zippered bags around each boot are then connected to the vacuum source. You can then set the pressure for 100psi (sport fit) 200psi (performance fit) or 300 psi (race fit).. He did 260 psi for me based on the very narrow heels and achilles tendons I have. Then you just stand for ~10 mins. while the vacuum/cooling process does its thing. It felt very cool to sense the whole boot actually contouring to your calf and foot! It also felt uncomfortable and bordered on painful because hey that is ALOT of pressure, but hey if it works I'm okay with some initial pain!!! Really the only spots that hurt were due to the hard padding being crushed against your boney areas.

Once the times goes off, everything relaxes and I stepped down and was helped out of the boots, again being careful not to flex them because the plastic needs to cure for 12 hours after the whole process. He was able to also show me the inside of one shell where you could see the outline of my achilles and you could also see the curves of my padded ankles on from the outside of the shell.. pretty amazing!!

Since I need to have my hotronics put in, they kept my boots so they could cure before they start messing around with them and I pick them up this coming weekend. I'll then get to try them on for the first time and flex them without all of the padding, so I cannot wait to feel the fit!! :clap: I hope it's great! There is still a chance to need some work done once I ski them and all, but this should get me alot closer to where I need to be right from the get go. Also, you can remold the boot up to 5 times, so if there is any weight gain, pregnancy, you just want a tighter or looser fit, you sell the boot to someone else, etc. you can remold it again down the road.

All in all a VERY VERY cool experience! If anyone is thinking about checking them out, I'd urge you to do so. If anything wasn't clear or you have any questions about the process I'd be glad to tell you what I can! :thumbsup:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Thanks for all the detail. I intend to get this boot fitted before the start of the ski season.

Just curious, what was the cost of the boot?

Good luck; let us know how it goes when you try them at home and especially when you ski in them.

manymoreshoes

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you Missy, I read every word in your review, that's very cool !
I also feel these boots are very light. I like them so much. Here in Germany there are many shops can make vacuum fit, although I'm in a small city just nearby a small ski place, I also find a shop can do that. But the problem is I don't know if the bootfitter have expierence about that, in fact I don't know if they are "true" bootfitters or just some guys learned the process in a short seminar.
Last week we go to the shop to ask them make footbeds for my husband. I ask the guy in the shop if we should make a date with bootfitter, they said, "you don't need that, just take your boots here! Every one here can do that!"
Well, that answer let me don't trust them any more. My own footbeds are made in France by a famous ski place when I had holidays there, they are very comfortable and correct my knocked knee problem, I‘m satisfied about that. Should we wait until next ski holidays to make them again in France? It's very sad that there is no vacuum fit in France. Should I try to trust these guys in my place?:confused:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for all the detail. I intend to get this boot fitted before the start of the ski season.

Just curious, what was the cost of the boot?

Good luck; let us know how it goes when you try them at home and especially when you ski in them.

The boots were $650, I also had a $385 credit from my old boots which was nice because it spread out the cost in my case. Although, I'd pay way more if it lets me ski without pain!

:becky:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thank you Missy, I read every word in your review, that's very cool !
I also feel these boots are very light. I like them so much. Here in Germany there are many shops can make vacuum fit, although I'm in a small city just nearby a small ski place, I also find a shop can do that. But the problem is I don't know if the bootfitter have expierence about that, in fact I don't know if they are "true" bootfitters or just some guys learned the process in a short seminar.
Last week we go to the shop to ask them make footbeds for my husband. I ask the guy in the shop if we should make a date with bootfitter, they said, "you don't need that, just take your boots here! Every one here can do that!"
Well, that answer let me don't trust them any more. My own footbeds are made in France by a famous ski place when I had holidays there, they are very comfortable and correct my knocked knee problem, I‘m satisfied about that. Should we wait until next ski holidays to make them again in France? It's very sad that there is no vacuum fit in France. Should I try to trust these guys in my place?:confused:

Manymoreshoes,

I don't think anyone has a great deal of experience with this system yet since it is so new. At my shop they had only done 6 others so far, but I know they have had all the required training and had even had the vacuum process done to themselves in that training so they could see how the sensations were and the fit achievable with different settings. I also trust that my bootfitter is very good at his trade, which is also important with the process because more work and tweaks may still be required with these boots. So I'd be hesitant to go to these people that you are not even sure about their being actual bootfitters!

When I looked on Fischer's website and their vaccuum dealer locator, it appears there are some in both Germany and
France.. :noidea: Have you checked out these shops yet?

https://dealerlocator.fischersports.com/start.php?vacuum_fit=1

I hope you are able to find someone you can trust with your investment, good luck!!

manymoreshoes

Certified Ski Diva
Manymoreshoes,

I don't think anyone has a great deal of experience with this system yet since it is so new. At my shop they had only done 6 others so far, but I know they have had all the required training and had even had the vacuum process done to themselves in that training so they could see how the sensations were and the fit achievable with different settings. I also trust that my bootfitter is very good at his trade, which is also important with the process because more work and tweaks may still be required with these boots. So I'd be hesitant to go to these people that you are not even sure about their being actual bootfitters!

When I looked on Fischer's website and their vaccuum dealer locator, it appears there are some in both Germany and
France.. :noidea: Have you checked out these shops yet?

https://dealerlocator.fischersports.com/start.php?vacuum_fit=1

I hope you are able to find someone you can trust with your investment, good luck!!
I love you! Before 1 month I searched with the same link and found about 50 shops in Germany but nothing in France, now I check it again and see many shops in France! One is at where I planed to have holidays in March :yahoo:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The boots were $650, I also had a $385 credit from my old boots which was nice because it spread out the cost in my case. Although, I'd pay way more if it lets me ski without pain!

:becky:

MissySki,
I see you are in Massachusetts. Which bootfitter/shop did you go to?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Liquidfeet,

I go to Ski Stop in Westwood, MA and my bootfitter is Phil, he is also the owner. I like working with him, he is nice and knows what he's talking about.

sdskiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been in Lange and Dalbello boots. And, like you, things started off pretty good, but over time "issues" have cropped up. To be fair, I also had foot surgery on my left foot so that really caused even more problems since now my left foot is so much different from my right. I did not think about new boots until I knew my left foot had entirely settled down from the surgery and have been making due. My boot fitter is great in that he has tried to make adjustments to my Dalbellos until I felt I was ready to invest in new boots. I must have tried on at least 10 pairs of boots, several from the same manufacturer - Langes, Heads, Nordica. Finally, on the second day of bootfitting, I tried the Scarpa Domina. It is the best fit I've ever had! Snug in the ankle, plenty of room over my in step and a nice 104 wide toe box so I can actually wiggle my toes and not feel them jammed against the front of the boot. They come with intuition heat mold liners too. It sounds like you have alot of boot issues that I had and if you haven't tried the Scarpa, keep it in mind.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MasterFit solution

I am so glad to hear you got a credit from your boot "nightmare" last season. I had just read that thread and was about to give you the email address for Brian Frias, the MasterFit Enterprises Sales Manager. He and I have exchanged emails a few times . . . but about how thrilled I have been at their system and how worried I am because there are NO MasterFit University boot fitters in Montana - much less Big Sky itself. Fortunately, we have a couple of excellent fitters right here tho, so I did okay. I am skiing in five year old boots (with about 220 days on them - 880 hours or so) but they have new custom footbeds in them and should be good for another season, or so they tell me.
I was fascinated by your description of the vacuum fitting process: and I thought having Intuition Liners was bad!: :eek:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Fischer Vacuum Fit

I picked up my new boots today!! I tried them on when I got to the boot shop and all I can say is WOW! I literally said to my bootfitter "Umm I don't know how to say this, but I almost feel like they are too comfortable???" Never thought I'd say that about a ski boot! (Mind you he told me that he had someone else say the exact same thing recently after getting the boot vacuum fit, so I'm not crazy!:loco:) Basically he said that since it is contoured to every spot on my foot/leg etc. that I have essentially no hot spots or pressure points of any sort, it just all contours with my anatomy. Of course he also said, now we have to see how they feel when I ski, gosh I cannot wait to try them out on the snow!!

I will also say for those of you who have also complained of super skinny heels, low insteps and a wide forefoot like I have.. I've never felt anything like this where every piece of my foot has even contact with the liner and that's without cranking down my buckles at all.

So far I am extremely pleased and optimistic for the upcoming ski season with these boots. I'll let you know how they feel when I get to ski them! :yahoo:

Oh and another really cool thing is you can totally see the shape of my ankle bones in the plastic of the boot and how it comes in a ton around certain parts of my foot and leg yet stays out for my forefoot etc. Sorry if I am babbling at this point, but it is just sooooo cool to me, what exciting new technology! :becky:

Jilly

Staff member
There is nothing better than good fitting boots! Congrats on finding the best fit!

ktp

Certified Ski Diva
What fun!! I had a similar experience last year, I had a pretty normal foot but with really skinny ankles. Because of that I ended up getting boots that were too small, and ended up with a black toe!!! After that I decided to shell out the cash and go for a fitting from someone listed on the Americas Best Bootfitters list, and man did that make a world of difference! I am in Full Tilt soul sisters now, and its amazing!

I remember the first time I skied with them I was just astounded....it was like....oh....thats what its supposed to feel like??? I love this sport even more!! Its lovely to go down the mountain not even thinking about your feet :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I remember the first time I skied with them I was just astounded....it was like....oh....thats what it's supposed to feel like??? I love this sport even more!! Its lovely to go down the mountain not even thinking about your feet :smile:

This is what I'm hoping will happen when I ski in my new boots, I just don't even want to give them a second thought once I'm out there. Last year I was always looking at others skiing when I was on lifts and stuff and I was so jealous to think they were not constantly hyper aware of the pain in their feet like I was because they looked so carefree.

Congratulations on so completely solving your boot problems, I hope I can say the same soon! :goodluck:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga