• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Avy Dogs

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the Avy Dogs at Brighton. So trained. So fun to have around and watch them at "work" (usually practice digs, lift riding, copter riding).

But I don't want to rely on them for rescue (by the time they mobilize, it's too late and then it's a rescue which they are good at also). I may get trolled for saying this, but sometimes I think Avy dogs are for show and great P.R.)

That said: I LOVE AVY DOGS: the latest dog-at-work video (Truckee) from Brighton cracks me up:

Christy

Angel Diva
I love them too. It takes a VERY good boy/girl to ride on a chairlift!

Coincidentally this just came up in my Facebook memories today. This is Syringia who works Sun Valley ski patrol.

12801483_10208646899396090_2412736414549213621_n.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
Somewhat related, I'm totally hooked on barkrangernps on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/barkrangernps/?hl=en

Gracie.JPG

Gracie is the "Bark Ranger" at Glacier National Park. They are using her to keep wildlife away from certain places to reduce human/wildlife conflicts. She keeps bighorn sheep out of parking lots, and deer out of the HQ area (because deer in the HQ area attracts cougars to the HQ area). The NPS hasn't used dogs for work much but we're starting to, with very good results.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the Avy Dogs at Brighton. So trained. So fun to have around and watch them at "work" (usually practice digs, lift riding, copter riding).

But I don't want to rely on them for rescue (by the time they mobilize, it's too late and then it's a rescue which they are good at also). I may get trolled for saying this, but sometimes I think Avy dogs are for show and great P.R.)

That said: I LOVE AVY DOGS: the latest dog-at-work video (Truckee) from Brighton cracks me up:

Correction it was on the Bigg Cottonwood Canyon FB but May not be brighton. Still hilarious.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more of Malia and Sugar Bear. Helicopter training is also an important skill. I also love how these avy dogs just hop on the lifts by themselves eagerly. Makes me smile.IMG_4558.JPG

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/kickinghorsemountainresort/videos/10155989561544535/&show_text=0&width=560
Cute video from Kicking Horse.

I agree that relying on a dog for a backcountry rescue is not a recipe for success. On a ski hill, though, they're a very quick response. If a person buried in an inbounds avalanche is wearing a transceiver, that would be fastest, but it's not usually the case. A recco can be quick-ish but there's no guarantee that the buried person is wearing a recco reflector or something else that will reflect. Since every patroller doesn't carry around a recco receiver with them all the time, the equipment would still have to get to the scene. Getting a dog on-scene would be equally fast and probably have a higher success rate, since a dog's work doesn't require the subject to have any particular equipment on them. As well, it can be very difficult to clear an inbounds avalanche because number of people buried is not necessarily known - it could be zero. Using a recco or transceiver could give no results but it would be unknown if it's due to the subject's lack of technology or because there's actually no-one buried.

newboots

Angel Diva
Lindsay Vonn just posted this. I like that 2 of the dogs are barking at her. The third seems concerned. They know a posed publicity photo when they see one! :smile: Hey lady let us work!

When I first saw it, I thought they were singing! (howling)
What a riot. Dogs are such happy creatures.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna