• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Avalanche expert killed in backcountry avalanche

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I read an article today in the NY Times about the death in an avalanche of Nick Burkes, who was an avalanche forecaster for the Wallowa Avalanche Center and a former snow safety supervisor at the Mt. Hood Ski Patrol. (If you can get beyond the paywall, the story is here.) Very sad, but it goes to show how difficult it can be to get these forecasts right, even for the experts.

Be careful out there.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This is terrible! So sorry to hear about it. These folks risk their lives to try to keep the rest of us safe :(

marzNC

Angel Diva
Very sad. RIP.

March 12, 2024

" . . .
An avalanche forecaster was killed in an avalanche while skiing in Oregon last week, the authorities said.

The forecaster, Nick Burks, 37, was backcountry skiing on Gunsight Mountain in the Elkhorn Mountains in northeastern Oregon on March 6 when he triggered an avalanche at the top of a couloir, or crevasse, in the mountain, the Colorado Avalanche Information Center reported. He was carried down the mountain by the moving snow.

Mr. Burks was skiing with William Sloop, who had already descended and was not injured in the avalanche, the Baker County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. Mr. Sloop performed CPR on Mr. Burks to no avail.

Both men were experienced at skiing in the back country, away from official trails, the Sheriff’s Office said, and they were properly equipped; Mr. Burks’s airbag deployed.
. . ."

MissySki

Angel Diva
I read an article today in the NY Times about the death in an avalanche of Nick Burkes, who was an avalanche forecaster for the Wallowa Avalanche Center and a former snow safety supervisor at the Mt. Hood Ski Patrol. (If you can get beyond the paywall, the story is here.) Very sad, but it goes to show how difficult it can be to get these forecasts right, even for the experts.

Be careful out there.
I have no idea how the Oregon snow pack has been this season.. but I was following the Montana one around Bridger Bowl and Big Sky for the month ahead of my going out.. even though I don't go out of bounds there and let me tell you.. that snow pack is unstable and SCARY right now from everything I've read. Most days have been dire warnings to stay out of avalanche terrain in the backcountry there. It's why I had no desire to ski even the terrain inbounds at Bridger that requires avalanche gear be worn to enter through gates and a lift there, and why I wore my beacon inbounds without fail every day. In fairness, I have tried to get in the habit of wearing it when going West now in general, depending on the mountain.. like I didn't feel the need at Steamboat. After hearing about inbound avalanche deaths over the last few years, I don't see why anyone wouldn't at least have a beacon transmitting so you hopefully have a better chance of being found asap if the worst happens.

Sorry for the thread drift.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So its taken me a few days to realise but Nick ( I though his name sounded familiar) worked at Porters (our local hill) with my son Sam back in 2017.
Very very sad and I for one am quite relieved that Sam's taking this NZ winter off and focusing on his glacier guiding before he heads up to the US for your next season.
RIP Nick.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nick was my friend and I had skied with him on Sunday in the backcountry before his passing on Wednesday. We had a beautiful, magical day skiing that Sunday and spending time together. I am still processing this loss. He died around the same time another friend died in the mountains from a cornice fall about 8 years ago in our mountains. So it has hit our small community hard and even smaller backcountry recreation community. Nick was an amazing human being and someone I enjoyed spending time in the mountains with and he loved studying the snow. I miss him dearly.

This link is the preliminary report from the Wallowa Avalanche Center -https://wallowaavalanchecenter.org/observations-list/#/view/avalanches/c96bdfc3-45a2-4836-80ff-e067b667baf0?startDate=%222023-09-01%22&endDate=%222024-04-02%22&season=2024

This is the full report - https://classic.avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=871&accfm=inv

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Nick was my friend and I had skied with him on Sunday in the backcountry before his passing on Wednesday. We had a beautiful, magical day skiing that Sunday and spending time together. I am still processing this loss. He died around the same time another friend died in the mountains from a cornice fall about 8 years ago in our mountains. So it has hit our small community hard and even smaller backcountry recreation community. Nick was an amazing human being and someone I enjoyed spending time in the mountains with and he loved studying the snow. I miss him dearly.

This link is the preliminary report from the Wallowa Avalanche Center -https://wallowaavalanchecenter.org/observations-list/#/view/avalanches/c96bdfc3-45a2-4836-80ff-e067b667baf0?startDate=%222023-09-01%22&endDate=%222024-04-02%22&season=2024

This is the full report - https://classic.avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=871&accfm=inv

Condolences to you on the death of your friend. May his memory be a blessing to you.

wernerslab

Diva in Training

So very sorry for your loss and the community’s loss. Hope memories of your recent ski together brings you some peace/happiness.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

So very sorry to read this and for your loss.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna