• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Aura Binding Mount---anxiety part II

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, so I have the Auras. Ordered Marker Griffon Demo bindings (the kind that permits micro adjustments fore and aft after the mount).

Now, the question. Any recommendations on the binding mount on Auras---have others had their bindings mounted at true Center?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You only want true center if you're planning to use them as park skis, and they're really not designed for that.

If you have smallish feet (284 +/- BSL), most shops will recommend mounting them at or 1cm ahead of the mounting mark for general all-mountain use.

For mostly powder use, you can consider mounting them at or 1cm behind the mark as mine are, but a lot depends on how you're balanced in your boots and how aggressive/accomplished you are as a skier.

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
make sure if you have the 156 the shop knows to use the stickers so they don't drill through the ski!

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
dlove...Im in the same boat..

Just got a pair of 163s and griffons... not sure where to mount them!

I am also scared to let any of the shops around here touch them! (i am currently living in Virginia)

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If purchasing new skis and bindings isn't stressful enough....

From Volklgirl:

You only want true center if you're planning to use them as park skis, and they're really not designed for that.

If you have smallish feet (284 +/- BSL), most shops will recommend mounting them at or 1cm ahead of the mounting mark for general all-mountain use.

For mostly powder use, you can consider mounting them at or 1cm behind the mark as mine are, but a lot depends on how you're balanced in your boots and how aggressive/accomplished you are as a skier.

Well, I know I don't want to use them as park skis. I have big feet, so don't need them 1 cm ahead. I do want them for powder, but mostly all terrain and hope that I am aggressive/accomplished....., so...is that 1 cm back or center?:help::help:

That's why I think the Griffons will give me some assurance on the mount----as they can be adjusted.

I will just be sure to go to my ski pros at the local ski shop---I'm also told that auras require special screw length and installation. Not a job for a random ski shop.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We lined mine up with a pair of 177 Mantras and followed that mark. I think it was about 2 cm back. I've been very happy. If I were you, maybe 1 cm back, with the adjustable bindings?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is an awful problem to have :wink: and now I have it, too! I just got a pair of Auras and I'm trying to decide where to mount the Salomon Z10 bindings I'm planning to use. These aren't adjustable, so I want to be sure I have it right. Anyone have any advice?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine are mounted 1cm back and I've been VERY happy with that, even with my tiny feet (Marker 12.0 Piston).

I think the mount mark on the Aura is pretty far forward as my 1cm back on that ski is the same point as the 1cm forward on the Karma and the Hart Twin.

I must be very unoriginal. I mounted my Auras at the traditional mounting point and they work great for me. I also mounted my twin Pearls that way even though they are a symmetrical ski that can be mounted at center. I find that I ski much better overall with a binding mounted in the traditional poisition and don't spend enough time in the air or on features to justify a center mount.

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have my 163s mounted at -2cm from true center, which works well for me for the most part. I just wanted to not have to lean back so much in pow/slush, but I probably should have gotten the 170...

anyway, they have a very large sweet spot, IMO, so it's hard to go wrong, but, as it was said above, it mostly just depends on what you want them for.

jelenad

Certified Ski Diva
I am also going to buy Auras in 163 and I am wondering where I should mount them. I am 5"6' level 9 skier 125lbs, and I intend to use them 50/50 groomed/powder. My ski boots are 285 BSL (I wear 24.5). Any advice is very welcome. Happy new 2012!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're buying the current, rockered model, mount them boot center on the line unless there's something weird in your physique or stance.

jelenad

Certified Ski Diva
If you're buying the current, rockered model, mount them boot center on the line unless there's something weird in your physique or stance.

Actually I am buying the 2010/2011 model. I got a really good deal ($559 with bindings, delivered...). What would be your reccomendation for the last year's lodel? Thank you!!!

B-Tele

Certified Ski Diva
I agree with Volklgirl, I don't see much of a reason to be afraid of mounting at traditional, boot center mark. Maybe -1 if it's going to be more of a powder ski.

Plus I'm not sure why a shop wouldn't touch them. Just make sure they know there is a metal topsheet (a larger drill bit is needed--NOT longer btw). Otherwise it's not unlike every other blank (non-system) ski.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 163 Auras (2009/10) model mounted at boot center with Salomon Z10ti bindings. I've been very happy with the skis and bindings, and I don't ski any park, just a lot of un-groomed terrain and crud!

jelenad

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Ladies. I asked the shop to mount them at the traditional spot - boot center - per your and Volkl recommendations.

I am looking forward to trying them now. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga