• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone got the skinny on the Rockette 90 for next year?

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Finally got my demo day in and they were the hands down winners. I'm not ruling out finding them in a shop somewhere in my size, but online I am striking out left and right. I don't want to buy the demos I took out, as they looked like they went out for a lot of test runs this winter.

But, curious as to whether anyone has gotten any word on next year's version? Any changes? New graphic? Have not been able to find anything with my Googling tonight!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Might have answer to this as early as next Friday. I am testing 2014 skis for a regional ski shop. HOPE this model is available!! I also tested the '13 Rockette 90 last December, loved it. What size are you looking for? Saw one on ebay, buy it now, 399, 161.

Jilly might otherwise have some info. Jilly?

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, take a picture if the graphic has changed :smile: Looking for a 153. I'm shrimpy at 5'2" and that's what I took out yesterday.

Hope you have a great day out! If there is a Salomon rep there, would you mind asking if there are any changes?

And yes, I took out the Kenjas. Just a little too stiff for what I was looking for. But what a nice ride! The Rockettes, though, put a smile on my face and made me seek out all the bumps on the side of the trails.

I will be in N. Conway this weekend, so may spend some time today calling around to see if anyone has a 153.

Jilly

Staff member
There were at the demo last week, so either no change or they didn't bring the 2014 model. I'll ask at the salomon shop today as I need to look at something else - shoes.....

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The construction of the Rockette 90 has not changed but the graphic has. I have pictures of it somewhere, I'll dig them up and post them.
The new graphics have some glowing colors in them that highlight a landscape like a sunrise, (sort of)

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The construction of the Rockette 90 has not changed but the graphic has. I have pictures of it somewhere, I'll dig them up and post them.
The new graphics have some glowing colors in them that highlight a landscape like a sunrise, (sort of)
In a good way or not so good way? I kinda like the purple....

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the new design a lot.

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Call around to your local stores - found the 153's last week for 349 from a local store here Ski Chalet.

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks to all for the input! I called everywhere and ultimately found them on SkiEssentials.com, which is based in Stowe. I got the same price. Picked them up Thursday and hit Sugarbush same day, then Bretton Woods today. With all the snow we got this week (more on the way Monday!), I am glad I didn't wait until next year :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Soooo, I have to correct myself on this one.
The Rockette 90 no longer exists. I was actually thinking of the Rockette 115 when I posted this.

The Rockette 90 is replaced by the Lumen 96 and Lux 88. There is also a big sister Stella at 102mm.

I am sorry for any confusion.

newskimama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No worries there, SnowHot! Considering how successful the Rockette 90 seems to have been this year, I am surprised it is not coming back! This was just her first year!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Interesting. I tested both the Rockette 90 and the Kenja earlier this year and loved them both. I was leaning toward the Kenja but didn't pull the trigger because I could only test the 163 -- which is probably too short for me (5'8", 175 pounds), but I didn't want to buy the 170 without having skied it first. I skied the Rockette in the 169, but didn't do as much of a wide range of terrain/snow as I did with the Kenja, so wasn't ready to buy either. (You can tell I have problems making decisions!)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Lujza

Certified Ski Diva
I was working on product pages on EpicSki and have some finished that I promised info on to some Divas in this thread. Including links to the pages I built since Salomon doesn't have theirs up yet. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here are a few.
2014 Salomon Q 103 Stella Women's Ski
2014 Salomon Q 96 Lumen Women's ski
2014 Salomon Q 88 Lux Women's Ski
2014 Salomon Rockette Women's Ski

So from this it appears that there _are_ changes to the Salomon Rockette line, possibly more than just "marketing" changes?

If the Rockette 90 was intended to morph into the (entry level) Q88 Lux, then with the change it has slightly shrunk. The Lux uses the 87mm waist of the shortest Rockette 90 lengths, the longest length is now only 167cm (from 169/88), and the 177/89 is ditched...?

Would the Q96 Lumen be a sturdier, more advanced-level ski in the spirit of the Rockette 90 (rather than being the upgrade of the Rockette 92, which apparently had a softer-snow bias)? The Lumen has lengths of 154/162/170/178 along with the new 96mm waist.

The Q103 Stella appears to be their big-mountain ripper, and the 115 Rockette is the powder ski?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Yup, that's what it appears. Still, those 4 models seem to cover a wide range of skiing styles and terrain choices.

The name changes are a little confusing, but the numbers in front of the names add clarity in regards to ski widths.

It would be nice to see profiles of each model in addition to a top sheet image.

teppaz

Angel Diva
It'll be interesting to see if the Lumen is closer to the Rockette 90 or the 92. I tried both models and they felt very different. The 90 felt nimble and responsive, whereas the 92 was more sluggish. The 90 was great in bumps, whereas I struggled on the 92.

Lujza

Certified Ski Diva
It'll be interesting to see if the Lumen is closer to the Rockette 90 or the 92. I tried both models and they felt very different. The 90 felt nimble and responsive, whereas the 92 was more sluggish. The 90 was great in bumps, whereas I struggled on the 92.

I re-visited the stats for the 2013 Rockette 90 and 92..
https://www.salomon.com/us/range/skis-alpin.html?gender=women

Comparing that to the stats of the 2014 models, it appears that the Rockette 92 is phased out or morphed into the Remix? (The 92 had more pronounced tip/tail rocker, twin tip and some park-friendly features, while the 9o had a tip rocker, a flat early rise tail and is geared more towards carving.)

Looking at the 2014 specs, it appears that the Q88 Lux and Q96 Lumen could both be descendants of the Rockette 90? The addition of the Lumen would likely serve the same type of skier who would opt for a Blizzard Samba over the Black Pearl?

Now we just have to ski on the Lux and Lumen to find out for sure... :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga