• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any opinions on a 85-90 waist setup for a heavier woman?

Swears Like A Sailor

Diva in Training
I'm searching for my next setup and have been looking at skis in the 85-90 waist range and hoping to get some input on what you think. My quandary is that I would not call myself an expert or even advanced skier (more like advanced intermediate) and I'm not overly aggressive (although I do like to go fast), but I'm also wanting to progress into carving and steeper terrain. I'm 5'7" and 200 pounds so I definitely don't fit into the typical ladies category. This is where I have a hard time making an informed decision because reviews are generally done by ladies who weigh a lot less than I do and have way more experience.
My current daily driver is the 2014 k2 superglide at 160cm (127-80-109) which was a vast improvement from my first pair of skis, but now I feel they are holding me back. They are super chattery at speed and I feel like I am just overpowering them along with being too short my height and weight.
Now, I do have a pair of Coalition SOS at 173cm (129-105-119) which I love and generally use for mixed conditions (powder, crud); however, I think I still need to break them in a bit more to feel like I can truly bend the ski (they are rather stiff especially compared to my K2's).
Anyway, I think I've looked at just about every women's ski out this year and in my mind, I've narrowed it down to the Nordica Astral 88 at 165cm...maybe the 172cm (124-88-109). They are certainly not the lightest ski out there (about 6-7 pounds without bindings) but have the tight turning radius and edge hold I want.
But what do you ski and what works for you? Do you find that having a slightly longer ski keeps things smooth on the groomers? Do you skip the "women's" specific skis altogether and go for a unisex model?

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
I'm your size and I just got back from testing 2019 skis in Northern Michigan (think groomed conditions):

I liked the Astral (but not a fan of the graphics)
Have you tried the Volkl Kenja? I skied the 163 and felt confident carving it. I liked the Nordica Enforcer 93 (169) or the Navigator 85 (I skied the 172). Both the Nordicas are unisex and can be obtained in a longer length. Both edged great and felt flexy and nimble.
Blizzard Bushwacker 88 (173) Carbon, easily flexed, easy to turn in short, med and large radius turns
Elan Ripstick 86 (166) skis great, fast, holds an edge in the steep, releases edges good, too

The right ski in the right length can take you from cautious to confident in one run and put a smile on your face, too.

Swears Like A Sailor

Diva in Training
@freckles I did look at Volkl, but I had the Yumi on my list so I'll keep an eye out for the Kenja. As much as I don't want to wait for the 2019 models to come out, I may just suffer through the rest of this season with what I have and try to find some demos in the brands you mentioned. And I agree about the top sheet on the Astral - I do not like anything pink, purple or anything in between. Thanks for the input BTW, it's very helpful and informative!

The right ski in the right length can take you from cautious to confident in one run and put a smile on your face, too.
Amen to that! That's how I feel about my Coalition SOS - they are my "I am a badass and can do anything I want!" ski (at least that's what I tell myself in my head). The K2's definitely do not give me that feeling.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kenjas are a VERY stiff ski, just so you know. I only bring it up because you mentioned maybe not being able to properly flex the Coalitions.
And I agree on the Astral 88 graphics. Blech!

Last edited by a moderator:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
but I had the Yumi on my list so I'll keep an eye out for the Kenja

Maybe try the Volkl Kanjo--I believe it is the men's version of the Yumi?. I'm not far from your size and I had a really fun time demo-ing the Kanjo last month.

The men's Blizzard Brahma comes to mind as well. I think that may have replaced the Bushwacker, but I defer to others on that.

My main daily ski is the Volkl RTM 84 in 172 length. I'm on the East coast, and that is a burly-but-nimble carving machine that is also pretty versatile in softer conditions. Not sure it would be what you're looking for in the Sierras, but then I don't know what conditions normally are there. I had Kendos for a while, but I like the RTMs much better. I do, though, ski the Nordica Soul Rider (97 waist) in very-soft snow.

I don't tend to look much at women's skis because at 5'8" and 170lbs, I tend to want more length than they offer. With the abundance of choices available these says, even just looking at men's skis provides a vast array of options.

Good luck!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+1 to Kenjas & Brahmas, and I'd add the Santa Ana/Enforcer 93 as well (Enforcer's just a touch stiffer), or the Ova/Ova Birdie from Black Crows (or the Veritis/Vertis Birdie - the new version that's a little more approachable). Head Monster 88 if those prove too soft.

As for a women's vs. men's skis, I think as a woman skiing a high 160 to mid 170 ski, I'm the luckiest skier on the hill. Until smaller guys start shopping both sides of the aisle, I have the most selection to choose from and I have the luxury of saying "just like this, but with a little more/less edge to it." And yes, some extra length will pay dividends for stability, not to mention give you more room to progress.

Swears Like A Sailor

Diva in Training
+1 to Kenjas & Brahmas, and I'd add the Santa Ana/Enforcer 93 as well (Enforcer's just a touch stiffer), or the Ova/Ova Birdie from Black Crows (or the Veritis/Vertis Birdie - the new version that's a little more approachable). Head Monster 88 if those prove too soft.

Funny thing is my husband has the Head Monster 88's and absolutely loves them, but he's also 6'2" and about 15 pounds lighter than me (not to mention he's an expert). Maybe I should just convince him to let me have those when he buys a new pair LOL...only problem in my mind with those is that they are SUPER heavy, like I'd need to start hitting the gym hard to be able to handle those bad boys.

I actually did take a gander at the specs on the Black Crows (both the vertis and ova) and would love to try them out for sure. I am going to have to call around and see if there are any shops nearby that have demos available. There have been so many great suggestions here that I'm finding myself just as perplexed as before. Hard to commit to anything without trying it first, but I never seem to know if or when there are going to be demo days at the resorts - sure would be nice to have a bunch of options in one place at the same time!

@SallyCat the conditions here are usually packed powder, maybe firmer in the mornings. I've only run into boilerplate and ice rinks ocassionally this season...and I did not like it one bit. I'm spoiled, I know.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only run into boilerplate and ice rinks ocassionally this season...and I did not like it one bit. I'm spoiled, I know.

Regular packed powder is for the weak. :dance:

**Warning** below is a graphic photo of unspeakable horror. **Not recommended for the faint-hearted viewer.**
This was my home mountain today. IMHO, these are good conditions for essay-grading and brooding.

Blue Garbage Ice.jpeg

Swears Like A Sailor

Diva in Training
This was my home mountain today. IMHO, these are good conditions for essay-grading and brooding.

O.M.G. that is some scary stuff - I would not be able to ski that! I don't know how anyone could actually ski that and survive...:faint:

This is from February last season (friggin epic season BTW)...and pretty typical of the "crowds" I have to deal with at Kirkwood. That's my son ahead of me...the little speed demon.
Good Skiing.png

newboots

Angel Diva

**Warning** below is a graphic photo of unspeakable horror. **Not recommended for the faint-hearted viewer.**

View attachment 8232

Hey, I thought that was my home mountain . . . although I didn't go out during our present ice age.

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
Maybe try the Volkl Kanjo--I believe it is the men's version of the Yumi?. I'm not far from your size and I had a really fun time demo-ing the Kanjo last month.

The men's Blizzard Brahma comes to mind as well. I think that may have replaced the Bushwacker, but I defer to others on that.

My main daily ski is the Volkl RTM 84 in 172 length. I'm on the East coast, and that is a burly-but-nimble carving machine that is also pretty versatile in softer conditions. Not sure it would be what you're looking for in the Sierras, but then I don't know what conditions normally are there. I had Kendos for a while, but I like the RTMs much better. I do, though, ski the Nordica Soul Rider (97 waist) in very-soft snow.

I don't tend to look much at women's skis because at 5'8" and 170lbs, I tend to want more length than they offer. With the abundance of choices available these says, even just looking at men's skis provides a vast array of options.

Good luck!
I skied the RTM 84 in the 172 length and found it to be heavy and harder to put on edge, but once it was on edge, it held beautifully. It's a metal constructed ski, so that explains the weight. These were the 2019 skis at the MRA test fest in Michigan, so we got the spiel from all the reps.

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
Kenjas are a VERY stiff ski, just so you know. I only bring it up because you mentioned maybe not being able to properly flex the Coalitions.
And I agree on the Astral 88 graphics. Blech!
I didn't find the Kenja to be very stiff (wood core). The Flair has metal and carbon. It wasn't super stiff, but I thought it was skiddy in places.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't find the Kenja to be very stiff (wood core). The Flair has metal and carbon. It wasn't super stiff, but I thought it was skiddy in places.
The Kenja has two sheets of titanal. I owned them for a season, and while I had a blast on them, I found I wasn't flexing them properly because of how stiff they are.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied the Kendo for a while; I'm not petite, so I didn't have trouble flexing it I don't think, but as soon as I tried the RTM 84 the Kendos were dead to me. The RTMs were just so much more powerful and grippy and easy to turn and energetic. Of course, they are completely different skis for different purposes; I liked the RTMs better because I'm a groomer-zoomer. The couple of times I've had the RTMs on/in thick, soft snow I did not have fun.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi @Swears Like A Sailor ! I'm about the same size as you, just a smidge taller. We definitely have the best of both worlds - we can enjoy all skis out there :smile:
I've liked both men's and women's skis, and the best thing I think is for you to demo. Generally, skiers of my approximate weight and height will tend towards 'stiffer' skis, and recommend those. But remember that skis are very often a matter of taste, and also preference for terrain. I skied the Volkl Kenja for a number of years, and I loved it. I think 170 for the Kenja is a good length - but try both the 163 and 170 to make sure. However, I also found that I stopped loving the Kenja once I got more into trees, bumps and off-piste terrain. My most of the time ski now is the Nordica Santa Ana 100 - which is still a strong ski, but more playful, and responsive. I find it really easy to ski. So I definitely think it's really important to try a bunch of skis to get a feel for what you like (which may be different from what you expect).

Other skis that I have liked besides the Santa Ana and the Kenja: Volkl Aura, K2 Fulluvit 95 (I actually really liked this ski on everything but hardpack - even though most people do not recommend it for a heavier skier), Blizzard Brahma, K2 Pinnacle 95, Elan Ripstick 96

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

View attachment 8232

WOW. What is that? Did you actually ski down that?

Also, I am so spoiled.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
See if you can get on next year's Secret. While they don't make it long enough for me, I still had a total blast on the 170; I'm advanced to expert and around 200-215 lbs right now. My light weight carving-mad friend and my mid weight low advanced mom both loved it even more than I did. It's the replacement for the Arua, but totally redesigned with a 92 waist - it was one of 2 tester favorites for the women (the other being the Atomic Cloud 12). If you're looking for more discounted skis, take a hard look at the Kanjo (the Yumi's big brother). It's not quite as stiff as the Kendo/Kenja, but it definitely has more balls than the old Yumi. Other options in that group are the Blizzard Brahma and Bonafide (or the older Samba), and the Head Wild Joy. You may also want to look at the Salomon QST or the Icelantic Sabre 89 (although you'll need to get them retuned to a 2 or 3 degree side edge if you're using them on hard pack as the ship with a 1 degree edge that doesn't hold very well) both were lovely skis for a heavy weight.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

View attachment 8232
It's great for teaching one to have, and use, very sharp edges and sensitive feet! We had the entire hill like that this am. No problem with my RTMs, but it certainly wasn't much fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna