• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any older women here doing CrossFit???

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have things that have been keeping me from getting on snow so far this season, and it's driving me crazzy. I need something, SOMETHING, to take the place of skiing, I need it now, and it needs to be physical. I am a 67 year old woman, ski instructor, reasonably fit but a bit overweight and not as strong as I'd like in general. If I were skiing, I'd be fine, but I'm not.

I've looked into martial arts places in my area, but most of those places cater to kids. I've found a gym that says in its fine print that it is sorta like a martial arts place, and that it does a CrossFit-like program. I'm not sure if it's bonafide CrossFit or not. I filled out the online thing and I'm sure they will contact me.

What do I need to know? What warning signs should I look out for? Does anyone here have experience with a genuine CrossFit box, or something that's sorta CrossFit like? Is there anyone here over 60 doing this kind of fitness program?

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 58, but I do my own workouts w/a trainer + masters swimming. That said, my trainer is very leery of CrossFit in general as are other trainers at my gym. There are folks who do their own CrossFit workouts at the gym, but there's no organized program. They seem to regard it as akin to a "cult." I don't know anything more about it, but given their hesitancy I think I'd investigate it pretty thoroughly before getting into it - particularly if they don't have a specific regimen outlined for, ahem, "experienced" athletes.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a short stint at a Crossfit studio. It can be very fun, but it can also lead to injury (like many things!!).

Things to look for in a studio:

1) The intro class/trainers: make sure they are paying super fine attention to your form, they shouldn't let you just go straight to a class but should make you take an intro/form class (or even more than one!) to make sure you've got decent form dialed. You should be doing the lifts with pvc pipes first, before you are doing it with weight. Make sure the instructors know their stuff, are correcting stance and grip and all the postural elements and keeping an eye on you, modifying things if necessary depending on your abilities.

2) the Culture of the box: this may depend on which class you take too because sometimes different age groups skew to different class times. But Crossfit is hugely social, which is awesome because nothing makes you want to work out more than doing so while hanging out with people you like! Make sure its not a box that caters to like 20s kids so you don't feel out of place, or if they are a bunch of 20yos that at least they're cool 20 yos. Check out what social activities they have if you'd be interested in those, some have WODs that are outside or will have (usually paleo) bbqs etc. See if you're into the scene.

Usually CF boxes are really welcoming to people of all age groups and if you find one you like they can be a great way to add weight bearing exercise to your regime. The problem with Crossfit is that it utilizes a lot of Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting techniques, that are not necessarily beginner friendly (hence why the form instruction is so important). Crossfit WODs (workouts of the day) vary but some have AMRAPs (As Many Reps As Possible) in there and thats when its important you're paying attention to your form, because if you're pushing to burn out as many reps as you can in a set amount of time, its possible that your form could lapse and you could injure yourself.

All that being said, mostly people hate on Crossfit because it was so hugely popular and it became quite a Thing and some people get salty about that. I think its a great way to introduce yourself to weightlifting and its a killer workout in like one hour in and out the door.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried CrossFit when I was 56ish, but it was just too hard core ( or just too hard) and I didn't stick it out until my fitness level improved. Nice people, but it wasn't for me.

Jilly

Staff member
I know from FB that Terry Carey is quite into it.

I have agree with others. Most people I know get hurt. All fall I used a personal trainer once and week and a class called all bad no bounce. Then after Christmas I'm only doing 1 class. I also fill in with stationary bike, elliptical and/or the 30 min work out at Planet Fitness. I miss the PT, but it was costing just too much.

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
My biggest issue with CrossFit is the attitude that their way is the only way. Seriously, after speaking with some people who've joined it really does sound like a cult. However I also know a few 70 year olds who seem to like it. They do a program that's been adjusted for seniors and should be easier on the body.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[QUOTE="Kimmyt, post: 358631, member

All that being said, mostly people hate on Crossfit because it was so hugely popular and it became quite a Thing and some people get salty about that. I think its a great way to introduce yourself to weightlifting and its a killer workout in like one hour in and out the door.[/QUOTE]
This is about as true as it gets.
I think you should for sure try a couple different gyms and check it out.
Most will have you come in for an initial gym visit where you will get to do a mini workout. From there you go into a 3 week intro class and learn the movements before moving into regular classes.
What I would look for are two things:
1) A gym that goes over the entire wod explaining and demonstrating three diffferent levels of each movement. The entire class can be scaled to different levels so you are looking for instructors that show the different versions of each exercise from beginner to advanced. Most will also show examples of bad technique here too so you can avoid it.
2) As a masters athlete finding the right instructor or coach can be tricky. I have had young coaches who were absolutely clueless that the body even ages as well as some who are like wow you can actually do that. It’s a fine line between the two you need to find instructors who will not push you too hard but not hold you back either.
As form Crossfit has done a lot to upgrade its image and the best way to avoid a bad gym is to watch a class, if you see a bunch of people doing crazy circus $&@t I would avoid that atmosphere. If one or two people are doing it, I wouldn’t worry too much. There are always one or two of those. As far as coaching and form goes there are two types of non-perfect form, unsafe and immature. Immature form is where you may not be doing something to textbook specifications because your mobility or strength may not be up to par but it isn’t necessarily unsafe either. Like going from wedge to parallel, there is a learning curve. A good coach will be able to recognize this. In this respect I would say if a coach corrects your form once or twice and you can correct it,great, but after that they should be recommending a scaled version instead of trying to continually correct something your your body may just not be ready to do.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
(What Gloria said)

"Crossfit" is what people think of, but it's not the be-all and end-all to an intense training program. I train with what is called Functional Fitness. It's very similar to Crossfit, but without the competive push. I've been doing an intense workout with this place 2-3 a week for 10 years and I'm in the best shape of my life... I'll be 58 this year. We mix up isometrics, force, cardio, plyometrics, core, bodyweight and more for a constantly changing workout that is always challenging.

Quality of trainer cannot be understated. Lots of people call themselves trainers but what is their experience, really? I had a "trainer" with a weekend course certification tell me the only fix for my IT band was a surgical release. A trainer that watches you and is really paying attentioin, plus understands YOUR needs and ability is critical. I love that I've resumed my classes since my surgery. The gym is 1/2 the PT facility I rehabat, so my trainer works with my PT to know what I can/cannot do as part of rehab. Everyone in our group is over 50 and an athelete.

It seems like the trainer/box on every corner thing is dying out due to saturation. Hopefully only the good places survive.

Sandrine

Diva in Training
Crossfit can be really awesome, but maybe work with a personal trainer on the side to make sure you're doing the lifts correctly? This way you'll get more feedback than you would in a group environment.
Also spend time working on mobility issues that can hinder your progress and create a higher risk of injuries.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just an FYI. Personal Trainers can design exercise programs and be great motivators but they are not weightlifting form experts. In fact exercise form isn’t even in the curriculum of the three largest certification boards. The curriculum is written for the average personal trainer who works in a commercial gym with mainly machines and light free weights. The CF intro class will offer more formal information and training in the movements and lifts than most personal trainers have had.

newboots

Angel Diva
It certainly seems like having the proper form could make a huge difference. Maybe the training is different where @Sandrine has trained? France and Australia?

And are you competing here in North American this season?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It certainly seems like having the proper form could make a huge difference. Maybe the training is different where @Sandrine has trained? France and Australia?

And are you competing here in North American this season?

Sure, but just because it’s Crossfit doesn’t mean you are going to have or even do things with bad form. Les Mils body pump does many of the same movements for example but no one gets in a flurry over that despite the fact that the instructor is on stage as opposed to having an instructor out on the floor working with people. Not to mention the fact that the sleeves on the barbells in les mils don’t even spin.
I am training to compete in a similar but different vein in North America this fall. I do Cross fit a couple times a week for fun and have been a Personal Trainer. I learned more about the complex exercises in Crossfit initially than from PT certifications and honestly feel it’s a completely safe viable option for anyone of any age to enjoy. The term Crossfit doesn’t have to be and probably shouldn’t be synonymous with bad form as it’s one of the few classes offered where technique holds the largest portion of instructor training.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The reasons I'm concerned about getting injured in CrossFit have to do with the intensity and frequency of the exercises, and the push for one group to compete with others. I've read that it's quite addictive, and people end up sometimes doing too much too fast,and injuring themselves because of overtraining. These things I've read, not experienced. So I'm not so worried about doing the exercises with good form. It's the overtraining.

I have knee problems, and am 67, remember. People my age need longer time to recover. I don't know how that translates into a CrossFit program's schedule. I contacted the owner of the nearby gym in question and talked with him. I'd definitely be the oldest member there.

I am passing this membership option up, despite the fact that he said his gym does not do the competitive groups thing and that I'd be able to choose lower intensity versions of the WODs. I'm just being cautious; I can get addicted to this sort of thing and can be quite competitive.

Thanks for all the info. I find the info people are sharing interesting. I look forward to learning even more about what people are doing....

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 69 and I totally understand your concerns. Several years ago I worked with a PT trainer at a local community center. Her program focused on using machines with a few dumbbell exercises for the upper body. However, I felt I needed something different. At my age I thought I'd feel out of place. I also felt that the fitness industry had passed me by. The days of training myself didn't seem to work anymore. I had SI Joint issues, low back pain and peroneal tendonitis in my left leg. I was very leery of Crossfit or any class with instructors who may not teach proper form. I was interested in learning Kettlebells and TRX. I found a local gym where they offered 4 introductory training classes which included a Functional Movement Screen. The purpose of the screen is to identify asymmetries so you don't get injured. Initially my training plan focused on correcting the issues that were identified. Eventually I moved on to using weights, TRX and Kettlebells. I take semi-private sessions but often I'm the only client. My trainer is a Certified Functional Strength Coach, Ace Certified, Certified Kettlebell Instructor through WAKSC/Kettlebell Academy and TRX certified. He is always watching form. He told me one time that classes are tough. Even though he tries to get the student to use proper form they don't always listen.

As result of spending my summer working out I no longer have back pain, I've strengthened my left side, I'm a lot stronger and have more endurance. Before my finger surgery in Sept. I could deadlift 105lbs, I weigh 100lbs. My trainer helped me through my finger and shoulder recovery. Even though I'm still working through shoulder/finger issues, I'm back to deadlifting 85 lbs., pushing the sled at 145lbs and squatting 3 sets of 10 reps with a 50lb sandbag among lots of other exercises.

My trainer does not treat me like a weak, 69 year old woman. He's always encouraging me to try more. My program changes based on my accomplishments. For example, before I did a bike tour he changed my program to endurance type activities to prepare for the days on the bicycle.

I pay more for this type of program but the experience of working with a knowledgeable trainer is well worth it.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The reasons I'm concerned about getting injured in CrossFit have to do with the intensity and frequency of the exercises, and the push for one group to compete with others. I've read that it's quite addictive, and people end up sometimes doing too much too fast,and injuring themselves because of overtraining. These things I've read, not experienced. So I'm not so worried about doing the exercises with good form. It's the overtraining.

I have knee problems, and am 67, remember. People my age need longer time to recover. I don't know how that translates into a CrossFit program's schedule. I contacted the owner of the nearby gym in question and talked with him. I'd definitely be the oldest member there.

I am passing this membership option up, despite the fact that he said his gym does not do the competitive groups thing and that I'd be able to choose lower intensity versions of the WODs. I'm just being cautious; I can get addicted to this sort of thing and can be quite competitive.

Thanks for all the info. I find the info people are sharing interesting. I look forward to learning even more about what people are doing....
THIS is what a person should be concerned about. I specialized in special populations and mostly fitness over 50. I think you made the right decision passing based on age of membership. There are Crossfit gyms that do have specific classes for seniors ( not implying anything using that word) which might be a better fit if it’s still of interest to you. At any rate recovery is also the most important thing to be concerned with fatigue is more injurious than form. A lot of studies indicate pretty much everyone recovers better from this type of training on an every other day basis. For general high impact training there are many recommendations that twice a week is the sweet spot in your age range, no more than 3.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I started working with a personal training as I finished up formal PT for knee rehab about five years ago. Got lucky and found a older woman who became a trainer as second career after being an elementary teacher for a long time. She's older than I am, mid-60s at this point. What I like is that she really likes learning about new ideas. So was open to researching and learning about knee support as well as ski conditioning. When I wanted to work on bone building, she already knew the weight lifting methods that would help.

I work with my trainer weekly from about mid-April to early July. Then again Sept-Dec. The rest of the year I do stuff on my own at home and at a local fitness center. The fitness center is a "wellness center" connected to a local hospital (UNC Hospitals) so there are machines, equipment, and classes geared toward seniors or people who are not necessarily already in great shape.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That reminds me of something pretty cool. For those over 65 with a Medicaid gap policy you may get a free gym membership. It’s a $50 per year sign up fee and then your insurance pays per each gym visit. If this applied to OP, you could find a gym with a variety of classes and sample until you find a good fit.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Just an FYI. Personal Trainers can design exercise programs and be great motivators but they are not weightlifting form experts. In fact exercise form isn’t even in the curriculum of the three largest certification boards. The curriculum is written for the average personal trainer who works in a commercial gym with mainly machines and light free weights. The CF intro class will offer more formal information and training in the movements and lifts than most personal trainers have had.

which boards are you referring to?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna