• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any older "new" skiers out there?

C

CMCM

All my biggest ski injuries occurred in my first couple of years of learning to ski. I think fear of falling had a lot to do with it....I was just too nervous and tentative. My falls and injuries were stupid, as I look back on them. The last few years have been great, I virtually never fall any more, and I'm over all that. But it does take some time and you just have to get to a certain level of ability and confidence. It took me longer than many to get there, and possibly it was due to my age when I started all this. I skied one season in high school but never learned much beyond a snowplow, I skied a few sporadic times in my 20's, but never got down to business until I was 55 or so. I did a couple of Nordic skiing seasons before my husband said he'd had enough of Nordic and wanted to do downhill again. I'm more cautious about injury now than I was when I was in my 20's or 30's. When I started up again,I used to worry about falling and getting injured, but now my worry about falling or getting injured is simply that I don't want to have to stop skiing!!! :laugh:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
One of the secrets to being able to ski into your 80's or longer is enjoying easier trails. Even if you were an "expert" in your 40's, you probably won't be at 75.

I don't know if I buy this. Sure there are going to be limiting factors dues to health and fitness.... but I've seen some "old dawg" skiers that I could never keep up with!! There is a saying at Red Mountain (Rossland, BC) that "old skiers don't die, they go to Red!" On a good powder day, the amount of grey hair coming out of the dingleberries covered with frost and snow is amazing.

We had a guy on our patrol who had to be invited to step down at 80... not because of physical issues, but because he was getting forgetful.

GG

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started skiing at 44 - but it was XC, not downhill. I was so terrified of downhill, my first lesson was pathetic. Thank God no one took videos that day, they'd be all over YouTube. I switched to XC and got used to the whole idea of snow and boards on my feet. It took a few years, but in 2008 I was skiing the advanced XC trails and my instructor urged me to try downhill again.....and a new obsession was born. I started downhill at 47, I'm now 50. I was never particularly athletic, and have struggled with my weight since age 16, but skiing has inspired me to get on the ball and work on getting in shape. It's a slow road at my age, but SO worth it.

If you are at Snowbasin next December, PM me - we are always there over the holidays and I'd love to ski with you! It's a great mountain.

Janie

Certified Ski Diva
GardenMary,
It would be great fun to ski together -- but we will avoid the holiday next year and go back to Utah probably sometime in January, when school is in session and before spring break, so fewer crowds.

Do you ski Powder Mtn too? I loved Powder as much as Snowbasin, in a different way. They are like apples and oranges.

Would love to arrange a time some of us could meet for a short 3-4 day women's clinic somewhere, what do you think? I know Squaw Valley has them, and are supposed to be very good. Or even a 5 day clinic. One of my many goals (but right at the top) for this coming year is to start taking 2 ski trips/yr and ski as often as I can on weekends at the little "hill" north of me.

chilkootcindy

Diva in Training
Re-igniting an old flame...

I think I was born loving skiing but being from Saskatchewan, there weren't a lot of opportunities and my family wasn't into skiing. I spent hours as a kid "skiing" down my back alley and the local tobogganing hills with my red plastic mini skis and poles!

I remember my first "resort" trip when I was in university - to Mount Washington on Vancouver Island. I was so excited I couldn't sleep and kept having nightmares about sleeping through my alarm and missing the trip! All turned out well and I recall the amazing sight of seeing the surrounding ocean and the beautiful glaciated peaks of the coastal mountains.

A few years later, I spent a winter in Kananaskis working at Nakiska as a snow making system controller and that's where I tried telemark skiing for the first time. I didn't ski a lot that winter as my boyfriend and I spent most of our time learning to ice climb. It also didn't help that it was one of the warmest winters on record so the snow conditions were generally poor (making for good ice climbing!).

When I finally moved to Calgary in 1996 I became a weekend warrior migrating to the mountains every weekend. I've never been a very "fit" person so was pretty content to dabble in various mountain sports including climbing, all kinds of skiing, backpacking, etc. I mostly get out on cross country or light touring skis but recently after purchasing a new pair of telemark skis from a friend and a season's pass (first time!) to our local bump (Canada Olympic Park) I'm excited to get out on some steeper terrain.

I'm still working out some of the kinks in my quiver - looking for some new telemark boots (Scarpa T1 or T2X size 25) as I've gone through two pairs of poorly fitting plastic boots. I also thought I would switch to AT (randonee) and bought some nice BD shivas...now I just need some skis to go with them (looking for some BD Joules 165 cm or similar).

This past February I had the opportunity for a short trip up on the Wapta Icefield. Because of my poor fitting telemark boots I decided to go with my light touring setup (Fischer E99 Europa skis and Rossignol BC7 boots). We skied into Bow Hut Saturday and then on Sunday, summitted Mt. Gordon and skied out to the parking lot the same day. It was a long 1250 m descent on the light touring setup but my grin made up for it! I'm looking forward to going back this season!

I'm inspired by all of the "older" women out there that I see on the hiking / backpacking trails and the slopes and look forward to some great experiences skiing!

Cindy

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
GardenMary,
It would be great fun to ski together -- but we will avoid the holiday next year and go back to Utah probably sometime in January, when school is in session and before spring break, so fewer crowds.

Do you ski Powder Mtn too? I loved Powder as much as Snowbasin, in a different way. They are like apples and oranges.

Would love to arrange a time some of us could meet for a short 3-4 day women's clinic somewhere, what do you think? I know Squaw Valley has them, and are supposed to be very good. Or even a 5 day clinic. One of my many goals (but right at the top) for this coming year is to start taking 2 ski trips/yr and ski as often as I can on weekends at the little "hill" north of me.

My husband likes the feel of the mountain over the holidays so we will probably keep doing December, though we might make it 18-28 or something like that so we get enough pre-Christmas slow time. We also always go the week before President's Day weekend - this year it will be Feb. 13-18 skiing. The 13th will probably be a little crazy with the last day of the Dew Tour but we'll manage. :smile:

We have never gotten over to Powder Mtn - we're spoilt with the lodges at Snowbasin. We might though one of these days, since there is a shuttle from our condo. The road to Powder is a bear.

I've done a 2-day women's clinic at Snow Summit in Big Bear and enjoyed it very much. I have heard good things about the ones elsewhere including Mammoth and Squaw, but I would need to save my pennies and maybe do one of those next year. I really like the women-teaching-women format, and the sharing of tips and ideas between the participants. I made a new ski friend last year too!

Janie

Certified Ski Diva
Gardenmary,
I think one of these days, you & your husband need to take the shuttle to Powder! The terrain is massive (largest ski area in the US) and it is so different from Snowbasin, a real locals' favorite. It's as basic in lodging as Snowbasin is fancy, but that was part of the charm. We loved it as much as we loved Snowbasin, just in a different way.

Where do you stay, at one of the condos in Eden? I've looked into staying at Powder Ridge condos, they are ski in/out for Powder, and then drive to Snowbasin, about 30-40 minutes.

Yes, I'm definitely going to a women's clinic next year, just a question of where :-)

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gardenmary,
I think one of these days, you & your husband need to take the shuttle to Powder! The terrain is massive (largest ski area in the US) and it is so different from Snowbasin, a real locals' favorite. It's as basic in lodging as Snowbasin is fancy, but that was part of the charm. We loved it as much as we loved Snowbasin, just in a different way.

Where do you stay, at one of the condos in Eden? I've looked into staying at Powder Ridge condos, they are ski in/out for Powder, and then drive to Snowbasin, about 30-40 minutes.

Yes, I'm definitely going to a women's clinic next year, just a question of where :-)

We stay at the Lakeside Resort condos at the foot of Old Snowbasin Road. We've been staying there for 3 years now, and love it. I think that area is technically Huntsville. Snowbasin has a 50-year plan in place that will add some on-hill lodging, but the $64000 question is WHEN. I've heard estimates ranging from 2 years to 10. But we love the Lakeside; if we hadn't lost money on income property last year we would probably be considering buying a unit there.

Janie

Certified Ski Diva
We stay at the Lakeside Resort condos at the foot of Old Snowbasin Road. We've been staying there for 3 years now, and love it. I think that area is technically Huntsville. Snowbasin has a 50-year plan in place that will add some on-hill lodging, but the $64000 question is WHEN. I've heard estimates ranging from 2 years to 10. But we love the Lakeside; if we hadn't lost money on income property last year we would probably be considering buying a unit there.

I will have to check out the Lakeside Resort. It would be wonderful for Snowbasin to have on-hill lodging, then it would make my favorite place even more fabulous :-) I must admit, I haven't been to many other ski resorts/places, b/c I fell in love with Snowbasin and I just want to go back there every year.

Are the condos furnished with a full kitchen?

I guess that's even more reason why I need multiple ski trips a year; one for Snowbasin and at least one more to explore a different area!

TracyMcP

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry to have posted for the first time and then vanishing into thin air. Unnerving shake up at work has had me preoccupied...
As far as all of the knee injuries Jenny, I have been switching off. The MCL tear was my left knee, then the really bad injury, ACL and all that collateral damage that required surgery was my right. Just recently, I fractured my right tibial plateau. All of these were the result of slow falls where the bindings didn't release.

MemilyG

Certified Ski Diva
Looks like you get the idea but I feel a need to chime in too. I learned to ski at 45 and I will shortly turn 68. My DH and I set a goal every year to ski our age in days. So it should get harder to meet goal cause he plans to live to 104!!!

This year we played MR & Mrs Kringle at our mountain and had a blast doing it. We were skiing with 3 generations and look forward to the day when we can ski with 4 generations. Now in what other sport can you do that?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Love it!

Sandi

Diva in Training
I just turned 44 and started skiing last spring. I only got three days in last March, but I loved it. So this year I bought skis and a season pass and am skiing 2-3 days a week.

I used to be a skydiver but I stopped jumping when I was pregnant with my daughter and haven't gone back yet. As a working mom spending my weekends with her seems more important than jumping out of planes. Now that she's 6 I was looking for something that would be fun and challenging for me (kind of my skydiving replacement) but that my daughter could do too. So my first day on skis I knew it was something that I would love, that I would always have the next challenge or skill to work on. So I am really loving skiing and my daughter loves it too. It's great that I can put her in a children't program for part of the day so I can have some time to myself to work on my skills and then we can ski together after her class.

As far as the age goes, I've done more in my 30's and 40's than I ever did when I was younger. I think I'm more confident and less worried about looking like an idiot while I'm learning something new. I'm sure I'll be skiing and skydiving when I'm 80.:dance:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will have to check out the Lakeside Resort. It would be wonderful for Snowbasin to have on-hill lodging, then it would make my favorite place even more fabulous :-) I must admit, I haven't been to many other ski resorts/places, b/c I fell in love with Snowbasin and I just want to go back there every year.

Are the condos furnished with a full kitchen?

I guess that's even more reason why I need multiple ski trips a year; one for Snowbasin and at least one more to explore a different area!

Sorry I missed your post last week - yes, these are full-size condos, furnished nicely, with full kitchens, linens supplied. The unit we rent is 1372 SF, they have some up to 2300 SF, I think. Not all are rentals, some folks live there too, but it's a nice quiet place. In our advancing years we like quiet!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just turned 44 and started skiing last spring. I only got three days in last March, but I loved it. So this year I bought skis and a season pass and am skiing 2-3 days a week.

I used to be a skydiver but I stopped jumping when I was pregnant with my daughter and haven't gone back yet. As a working mom spending my weekends with her seems more important than jumping out of planes. Now that she's 6 I was looking for something that would be fun and challenging for me (kind of my skydiving replacement) but that my daughter could do too. So my first day on skis I knew it was something that I would love, that I would always have the next challenge or skill to work on. So I am really loving skiing and my daughter loves it too. It's great that I can put her in a children't program for part of the day so I can have some time to myself to work on my skills and then we can ski together after her class.

As far as the age goes, I've done more in my 30's and 40's than I ever did when I was younger. I think I'm more confident and less worried about looking like an idiot while I'm learning something new. I'm sure I'll be skiing and skydiving when I'm 80.:dance:

Welcome Sandi! I agree, being able to ski with your kid is a real treat. I've finally worked up to the point where my son doesn't have to wait so long for me any more at the "designated spot" - he started at the same time I did, but of course progressed WAY faster. Now being able to ski as a family is the best part of the trip!

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hi ladies I haven't posted in awhile since finding out I was pregnant. Decided to pop over and see what everyone was chatting about.

I learned to ski w/school club in 7th grade. I enjoyed the club for 7th & 8th grade but then just stopped. So I had to relearn everything in my 30's and took my Hubby w/me (who is an ice hockey player). The difference between the ages was unreal. At 12 I wasn't scared. In my 30's.. wow I cry at every hill LOL.

Now that i'm pregnant another ski season on hold and who knows when i'll get back to it. So I might be re-starting again in my 40's :smile:

huebner1019

Diva in Training
I am a fairly new skier myself. I am 46, I started a couple of years ago but blew out my knee the end of my first season, then came back to soon and hurt my knee again. So here I am again, out on the slopes! I don't want to give it up, even if I am not very good yet. I am doing really well this season due to lots of exercise during the year. Knee still hurts but use my DonJoy brace and go for it. Finally moved from the snow plow but haven't been able to carve yet. Going for a week ski trip and I will take another lesson and see if I can make an intermediate hill. The bunny slopes are getting a little boring.

Heres to all the older new skiers!!! We live to ski even if we are not rubber people anymore!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do I count? I'm 43. I am coming in from XC too - and I should say that I am sure that taking some of the steep blues and blacks is completely hair-raising, but classic Nordic skiiers get that sensation at a much earlier stage in the game.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of Nordic skiing, consider a typical rolling and curvy green-verging-on-blue slope. Now think about going down that on a pair of skis that is 12" taller than you are and 4" wide, straight, and - most important - HAS NO EDGE. Entire thing made out of fiberglass. The only edge you get is the corner of the fiberglass block. That's it. You may NOT turn to control your speed.

AND...your bindings will not release in the event that you have a wipe-out. If you're going to go a$$ over teakettle, you're going to do it with the 200s strapped to your feet all the way through.

A sobering prospect...skydiving, now, though, there's something I haven't found the nerve to pursue!

ellen k

Certified Ski Diva
I started skiing 4 years ago - I'm now 52 (will turn 53 in May). My DH of 5 years wanted to get back into it, and encouraged me to give it a try. The first year was slow going and hard, but now I love to ski - wish I had more time to do more. When I first started, I thought I was way too old, but at my home mountains (Mt. Shasta, Mt. Ashland, Mt. Bachelor) there are lots of folks my age and older that are in great shape and ski like monsters. I hope to ski for years to come!

marzNC

Angel Diva
hi ladies I haven't posted in awhile since finding out I was pregnant. Decided to pop over and see what everyone was chatting about.

I learned to ski w/school club in 7th grade. I enjoyed the club for 7th & 8th grade but then just stopped. So I had to relearn everything in my 30's and took my Hubby w/me (who is an ice hockey player). The difference between the ages was unreal. At 12 I wasn't scared. In my 30's.. wow I cry at every hill LOL.

Now that i'm pregnant another ski season on hold and who knows when i'll get back to it. So I might be re-starting again in my 40's :smile:

Not to worry. I also learned in middle school but didn't have much chance to ski after that. Got going again six years ago when my 4yo daughter turned out to like skiing (hubby doesn't). Was in my late 40's then. Now I have the time and money to ski more . . . having a great time!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga