• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Another gear question-- for tele folks

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Well back to the more pleasant discussion, let us know when you get some gear and what you get!

altagirl

Staff member

And for the record - all that damage was from alpine skiing or touring on traditional AT gear or, you know, brilliant things like tripping on a root while walking in summer (though that was after things were already a mess)...

Knock on wood, but my knees have been much happier on tele gear.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Well back to the more pleasant discussion, let us know when you get some gear and what you get!
I have been fantasizing about ski gear and skiing. It's what has gotten me through the festival of barfing children this last week!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I have been fantasizing about ski gear and skiing.

I feel you! I have had to take the last two WE off, so I haven't skied since my first day on the Kikus. And as for gear, all of this Savory talk - plus the fact that two good guy friends got Soul7s, make me want to try them - I might even take alpine boots to Italy to *gulp* demo!

abc

Banned
And for the record - all that damage was from alpine skiing or touring on traditional AT gear
Erhh... what sort of additional stress/danger/demage touring on AT gear can potentially involve, on top of those from alpine skiing?

(I'm on the brink of jumping on the AT bandwagon -- only because it's more straight forward and less of a learning curve than learning tele from scratch. But given I already have some old injuries/issues from years of alpine skiing, I do like to know whatever gotcha there is with AT touring vs tele touring)

altagirl

Staff member
Erhh... what sort of additional stress/danger/demage touring on AT gear can potentially involve, on top of those from alpine skiing?

(I'm on the brink of jumping on the AT bandwagon -- only because it's more straight forward and less of a learning curve than learning tele from scratch. But given I already have some old injuries/issues from years of alpine skiing, I do like to know whatever gotcha there is with AT touring vs tele touring)

I don't think it had anything to do with the gear. I had a bad incident where I was doing a kick turn on AT gear and the snow collapsed under my weighted foot. My knees already had a lot of issues, and that made my knee lock bent and we couldn't get it to straighten out. So I had to ski down on one leg (and hop/get dragged uphill on that one leg by my husband). It was kind of nightmare and why I gave up backcountry skiing (at least wherever it involves kick turns...)

With that one, I doubt it would have made any difference what gear I was on.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I had a bad incident where I was doing a kick turn on AT gear and the snow collapsed under my weighted foot. My knees already had a lot of issues, and that made my knee lock bent and we couldn't get it to straighten out.

Horrifying. Glad it didn't take you out for good.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Altagirl, that sounds just terrifying. <shudder>

To get back to the OPs questions (and because I love to talk about gear), it sounds like a Scarpa boot would probably work best for your feet. You can probably find lots of used or on-sale versions out there.

As for binding, consider what matter most to you. Are you interested in a releasable binding? Do you want a more "active" binding, which tends to give you a bit more control (and also tend to parallel a bit easier)? Do you think you'll do some touring? If so, look for a binding that has a free pivot.

If you're not that picky, just get something on sale. Avoid the Voile 3-pin cable, which are for a lighter tele set up.

I'd also take a lesson--it really helps shorten the learning curve.

Have fun!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a stickler for releasables, I'm on the Voile CRB, which aren't made any more :( (although I know one place in Vermont that still has the 3-pin version). I have the Hardwire version (non 3-pin) for resort and 3-pin for touring. The 3-pin version allows you to remove the heal throw on the climb. I would LOVE a free-pivot binding for touring, but I'm not willing to give up releaseability and don't have the coin for NTN.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Me thinks releasables may not be all bad. About a month ago I fell in some heavy chopped powder (at the bottom of the hill) and remained firmly hooked into my hammerhead binding with leashes attached to the tail throw. So I wrenched my ankle a bit.

altagirl

Staff member
As a stickler for releasables, I'm on the Voile CRB, which aren't made any more :( (although I know one place in Vermont that still has the 3-pin version). I have the Hardwire version (non 3-pin) for resort and 3-pin for touring. The 3-pin version allows you to remove the heal throw on the climb. I would LOVE a free-pivot binding for touring, but I'm not willing to give up releaseability and don't have the coin for NTN.

Do you find that your releaseables work well?

I had some 7TM bindings back when I first started and I figured I could live with the fact that I didn't like the feel of them in exchange for releasability. Only - that was when I was learning and crashed fairly frequently... and they never once released on me. Which made eventually me figure, well, what the hell. If I can't get them to release when I do crash, I might as well ski on bindings that I like... And knock on wood, but I don't hit the ground much these days and don't take many risks.

But it's been a while, so maybe more current releaseable options actually, you know, work. :smile:

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
altagirl, the CRBs definitely release; I actually think they work reasonably well. Nothing is perfect, as you know. :smile:

I completely agree with you about 7Tms--never liked the feel of those. Even the 7tm power, which is more "active" still feels sleepy underfoot.

Can't comment on any of the others. The CRBs were the best of the bunch IMO. Bummer they stopped making them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga