• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Another "are my skis too long?" Thread

bananapantsB

Diva in Training
I'm sure this might be far too repetitive for most readers, I apologized- first post and was really excited to find this site!

Started skiing last year in earnest (well sort of, I have 2 kids under 5, so earnest has meant switching off for a few hours here and there throughout a ski weekend!) . Leaned to ski in HS, never progressed past beginner, and now it is 20 years later.

Bought some end of season/sale gear last year for a good deal and both the sales gentleman (who was definitely a veteran skier) and my husband thought that it would be fine to buy a ski that maybe was a little longer than I was used to so that I could "grow into it" with my skills.

Great in theory but I think my skills could maybe come along faster if I had little skis that I could control better. I'm 175cm tall, I'm skiing rossignol pursuit 12 ti- entry level ski, correct?

I had SUCH a tough time in the snow last weekend- I was in crap conditions, all man-made snow, with a layer of ice from a sleet storm mixed in and all chewed up (but hey, its a small mountain in VA- Wintergreen- so its just what you get). It felt like I was skiing in an icy sand and all the bumps and piles made me kept almost losing it.

I haven't mastered the hockey stop in these and thus I can't really turn both tips at the same time- which proved a mess in these conditions. I was pizza-pie all over the place on their very mild greens and blues! my 5 year old basically caught up to my skill level!

I felt pretty lousy because we had spent a week in VT (Smuggs) with extended family so I was able to get out 5 days for at least a couple hours each day and by the end I was skiing some of their blues- albeit turning a lot, taking breaks on runs to "strategize" how to not go too fast on each section. But, feeling pretty proud of myself for trying. We got dumped on one day with a foot of powder, which also threw me for a loop- I've never skied all that and ungroomed bc it was falling so fast, so I was falling and even getting stuck on turns, but it was actually kind of fun that day, because I was at least learning something new!

I still had the problem of not being able to turn as easily as I would like in VT, with both tips going at the same time, but the conditions were so beautiful and the runs wide enough that I was able to sort of work around it.

So this is an epic, long post (so sorry, I'm just excited to have found this site). But I'm wondering if I should be on skis that come to my chin, as I've read in other places? Getting the tape measure out this morning said my chin is like 154cm from the ground (barefoot).

I'm OK with buying a set of sale/ non fancy skis at a shorter length

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
Sounds like you were in tough conditions so don't beat yourself up too much. I've been skiing since I was a kid and consider myself an advanced intermediate. I can ski black groomers but give me crud, ice, or bumps and I'm falling all over the place.

How long are the current skis? As a beginner, shorter skis will definitely be easier for you to manage. Can you do a demo/rental with a couple different lengths to decide what you like best? Based on this chart from EVO, your height, and ability, I would suggest the shortest ski in the range, 160". https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-choose-skis-size-chart#Ski Length.

Unless you're physically growing, I disagree that you can "grow into" a ski. All a too long long ski will do is make it more difficult for your skills to progress and discourage you because skiing isn't fun when you're struggling.

heatherrrrz

Certified Ski Diva
sorry! I should have said the length! I'm on 170. They come up to my eyes basically, I'm 175 cm tall!

The rental shop that I go to gave me 142 cms and I'm 5'10. Now that seems small, but I'm also a beginner. You definitely seem like you need shorter skis, but don't take my word for it lol

Jilly

Staff member
The Pursuit 12 is not a beginner ski. It's an economical ski. And with the Ti, unless you weight a lot, you will never be able to bend this ski. And yes they are too long for you.

You're only 5'6....anything from 155-163 would be long enough at this stage. Gift these boards to your husband and demo some softer lady skis.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
sorry! I should have said the length! I'm on 170. They come up to my eyes basically, I'm 175 cm tall!

The Pursuit 12 is not a beginner ski. It's an economical ski. And with the Ti, unless you weight a lot, you will never be able to bend this ski. And yes they are too long for you.

You're only 5'6....anything from 155-163 would be long enough at this stage. Gift these boards to your husband and demo some softer lady skis.

Definitely too long and based on what Jilly said, too stiff. Ski sizing definitely takes a lot of trial and error.

bananapantsB

Diva in Training
Bianca here (op). I'm sorry if I'm not communicating that well. I'm 5'9. Weight is, er, um, let's say 157 if I'm being honest.

Of course my husband bought himself new gear last spring as well :smile:. I don't mind taking the hit, as long as it helps me actually have fun. I suppose it might mean new bindings too, maybe I'll get lucky and see if my local shops have anything shorter that I can just transfer bindings to? They have been used maybe 12 times!

Thanks for all the feedback, def appreciate a female perspective.

We live a few hours drive from any skiing so I won't get to demo anything anytime soon. This sounds silly but does that just mean "rent"? What's the difference between demo and rentals?

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
The rental shop that I go to gave me 142 cms and I'm 5'10. Now that seems small, but I'm also a beginner. You definitely seem like you need shorter skis, but don't take my word for it lol

That seems ridiculously short for someone your height. In my experience rental shops seem to err on the side of shorter skis for women.

I'm 5'0, 155 lbs and ski a soft flexing, wood core 160 cm ski, Head the Link. I'm a slow, cautious skier. When I demoed before I bought my last pair, I requested a 157 cm. Went into the shop and the rental guy told me it would be way too long and put me on a pair of 152 cm. I hated them and went back to the 157 cm which were much more better.

It definitely takes a bit of trial and error to find the right length and ski stiffness.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
Bianca here (op). I'm sorry if I'm not communicating that well. I'm 5'9. Weight is, er, um, let's say 157 if I'm being honest.

Of course my husband bought himself new gear last spring as well :smile:. I don't mind taking the hit, as long as it helps me actually have fun. I suppose it might mean new bindings too, maybe I'll get lucky and see if my local shops have anything shorter that I can just transfer bindings to? They have been used maybe 12 times!

Thanks for all the feedback, def appreciate a female perspective.

We live a few hours drive from any skiing so I won't get to demo anything anytime soon. This sounds silly but does that just mean "rent"? What's the difference between demo and rentals?

Rentals are usually entry level skis that you ski on for the whole day. Demos are usually new models, higher performance skis that allow you to swap out different brands/lengths throughout the day.

As a beginner, renting shorter length skis, the next time you go would be fine. I would try going down 5 cm each time you rent until you find a good length for you. If the current skis are 170 cm, try a 165 cm or 163 cm the next time. If you don't like that, a 160 cm or 157 cm etc until you find a what you like.

Have you taken any lessons since you started back with skiing? Equipment and technique have changed plenty in 20 years so a few lessons in addition to the right equipment can help tremendously.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I'm 5'10" 175 and started out skiing about 10 years ago after a long hiatus on short 149 and 156 skis. As I've gotten better, especially in the last few years, I've moved up to 168 and 170cm. I've found I like stiffer skis for the hard snow days, and softer more playful skies on soft snow days and when it gets really chopped up and gross, like what you had at Wintergreen recently. I've also gone from a 77 waist to an 80 and 88 to handle more variable conditions.

I second renting different sizes to see what works. Where are you located?

bananapantsB

Diva in Training
I'm 5'10" 175 and started out skiing about 10 years ago after a long hiatus on short 149 and 156 skis. As I've gotten better, especially in the last few years, I've moved up to 168 and 170cm. I've found I like stiffer skis for the hard snow days, and softer more playful skies on soft snow days and when it gets really chopped up and gross, like what you had at Wintergreen recently. I've also gone from a 77 waist to an 80 and 88 to handle more variable conditions.

I second renting different sizes to see what works. Where are you located?

I'm in Northern VA, outside Washington DC. We ski usually ski in VT (husband family from), in upstate central NY (where I grew up), or in southern PA, West VA mountains nearer to us. I did a day at Squaw Valley on these (actually first time on them!) Last May (1st weekend), also slush city and also a bit of a disaster.

At least I love my boots.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm in Northern VA, outside Washington DC. We ski usually ski in VT (husband family from), in upstate central NY (where I grew up), or in southern PA, West VA mountains nearer to us. I did a day at Squaw Valley on these (actually first time on them!) Last May (1st weekend), also slush city and also a bit of a disaster.

At least I love my boots.

It’s great to be able to say you love your boots, that is normally the more difficult part of the equation! Skis will be much easier for you to dial in by trying a few lengths/models to see what you like, just a little trial and error. I’ll also second the idea of a quick tune up lesson once you are on skis you’re more comfortable with, it’s amazing what a few little tips and tweaks can do to get you going in the right direction.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I am in NoVA as well. Welcome to the forum!
I get up to Whitetail and Snowshoe most often. I found that it's just too much work to ski and not much fun skiing in my 80 width, low rocker skis when conditions get real chopped up and it feels like skiing in sand, common to the manmade stuff we have around here. I noticed your skis are pretty narrow, which certainly doesn't help your length issue either.

I'd recommend taking a lesson or two up at Liberty or Whitetail since they are not too far away. Best thing I ever did last month was do a womens ski day. Could immediately tell a difference after a day on the slopes. I learned to slow down, focus on my movements, and work on my turns.

heatherrrrz

Certified Ski Diva
That seems ridiculously short for someone your height. In my experience rental shops seem to err on the side of shorter skis for women.

I'm 5'0, 155 lbs and ski a soft flexing, wood core 160 cm ski, Head the Link. I'm a slow, cautious skier. When I demoed before I bought my last pair, I requested a 157 cm. Went into the shop and the rental guy told me it would be way too long and put me on a pair of 152 cm. I hated them and went back to the 157 cm which were much more better.

It definitely takes a bit of trial and error to find the right length and ski stiffness.

I'm interested to see what a different mountain puts on me as far as size. My mother saw the picture of me and my sister on skis and said hers looked short on her too, I think they had her on 136 and she's 5'6. All the info I've looked at says the skis they gave me are too short, so I'm curious to see when I go to a different mountain what the rental shop gives me as far as size.

bananapantsB

Diva in Training
Wow, thanks to all that responded. I'm definitely going to look into some instruction, and some different ski length/stiffness. I'd love a women's ski day, that sounds awesome.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm sure this might be far too repetitive for most readers, I apologized- first post and was really excited to find this site!

Started skiing last year in earnest (well sort of, I have 2 kids under 5, so earnest has meant switching off for a few hours here and there throughout a ski weekend!) . Leaned to ski in HS, never progressed past beginner, and now it is 20 years later.
Welcome! When I started my daughter at age 4 at Massanutten a while back, I hadn't been skiing much for quite a while. Was an intermediate who stuck to groomers.

Since you mentioned skiing at Wintergreen, I assume that means Massanutten isn't that far away either. Freestyle of Charlottesville will have their demo tent set up the weekend of March 2-3 as part of Mnut's Snow Moon Fest.

Have you noticed that there is an ongoing thread for the mid-Altantic? I also have an ongoing thread for Massanutten, which has been my home mountain for a while. I live in Raleigh, NC but there are assorted reason why I drive past Wintergreen to ski at Massanutten instead. Massanutten has a very good ski school. The 2-hour intermediate clinics can be a pretty good deal, although better midweek than on weekends.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...kiing-pa-nj-dc-md-va-wv-nc-for-2018-19.23010/

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/massanutten-2018-19.23112/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga