• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Am I going to regret these on sale DPS Pagoda RP 112?

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
I've been a long time lurker and I've been drooling over powder skis for awhile (I read all the threads I could find on here about powder skis for us short queens). I ski Alta/Bird and currently only have one pair of skis (Volkl Secrets 92 in 156). I'm 5'1, 140lb, prefer mellow trees, soft moguls, left over powder. Some days like today I get lucky with a storm day and endless untracked powder ... and I'm fighting not to sink (NOT a complaint, I had so much fun but I want to have *more* fun).

I've been drooling over the DPS Carbon Kaizen 112/101 because I prefer shorter turn radius but they are insanely expensive. I saw these older models DPS on Sierra for $400 bucks and I bought it (but can still return it).

I just can't imagine the carbon kaizen being 1300 dollars *better*. But am I going to regret these? I actually tried to find DPS carbon kaizen to demo and even emailed DPS but nobody seems to have them. Though even if I could demo them I'm not sure I would buy them at full price.

Help make my analysis paralysis worse! :smile:

Last edited:

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DPS factory is in SLC. They are there on Alta demo days in April. Last year they offered good prices on their demo models which all had phantom ($200). Touring skis usually lack stiffness. You can probably stop by the factory take the tour & ask them how you can demo.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those skis sounds like potentially a great fit for where you are and what you ski! Short turn radius, good float. The Kaizen is replacing the Pagoda line so you’re in the right lineage, so to speak.

I’m jealous of those ;) I say, don’t look back!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it depends on how much stability you need (if indeed in the 158 size listed). It was not enough for me in DPS lighter build skis. My daughter now has really sweet skis. I am 5’5” and heavier though so ymmv.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it depends on how much stability you need (if indeed in the 158 size listed). It was not enough for me in DPS lighter build skis. My daughter now has really sweet skis. I am 5’5” and heavier though so ymmv.
Great point! I didn’t check the length. You can go longer in this style of ski, for sure.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
I generally don't like going very fast? So is the stability aspect only going to affect that or is it going to feel sketchy for uneven snow? I understand that the effective edge is less due to the rocker so longer isn't that much longer. Though I'm not sure it's an irrational fear that I'm worried that in trees longer just means I'm going to catch on something.

I've been looking for opportunities to demo since last season but last year Alta didn't have their demo days. I asked the shop manager and from the sound of it the shops didn't want to help so it fell apart. I called DPS and they said that Alta Ski shop should have them for rental so I'll go check it out and report back if they are there.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
DPS are insanely stable. I have the Pagoda 100 RP and I absolutely love them. The short turn radius is great in trees and moguls. The only thing I notice is tip chatter but that's when I'm going down hard groomers.
I can't wait to take them to Alta Bird in April.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DPS stays pretty consistent with their shapes and materials. I own an older Yvette 112 Alchemist and had a long term tester loan with the Pagoda Tour 100, and they felt more alike than different, and one just a narrower, lighter, less damp version of the other.

In terms of what you're looking for in a ski, it sounds like a great fit. They're directional like a Secret, but much easier to turn and ski. They're unsinkable, very quick to turn. They like to be driven, but acquiesce if I'm tired or backseat-y. Tails are stiff, tips are kinda soft. Combined with the rocker, they're not the most comfortable in chunky crud, but I'd rather prioritize those morning laps where things are soft.

I'm 5'4 and I ski the 168s for the 112 and demoed the 171 for the 100. I loved a bit more contact from the 171. At 5'1, I'd expect that the 158's the right size, but they will feel a little shorter & more nimble than the Secrets. There's a chance the Kaizen 105 in a 163 might feel a little more "right," but probably not $1300 better.

If you don't love the Pagodas, then the Kaizen's similar enough that that's not the right ski either. And while clearance sales are getting more & more aggressive and reducing prices on the used side of the market, it should be easy to recoup most of the cost on those Pagodas if you don't like them. (I was so tempted by that Sierra deal even already owning a pair)

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for the detailed comparison including how it compares to the secret! It's what I was hoping too that the Pagoda and Kaizens are going to be similar enough.

I know no one pair of skis are going to be perfect for everything so these sound like a good balance for that rare dreamy storm day like yesterday.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I generally don't like going very fast? So is the stability aspect only going to affect that or is it going to feel sketchy for uneven snow? I understand that the effective edge is less due to the rocker so longer isn't that much longer. Though I'm not sure it's an irrational fear that I'm worried that in trees longer just means I'm going to catch on something.
I hear you! Sounds like the 158 could be right for your preferences.

mustski

Angel Diva
I'm pretty close to your stats. I ski longer because that is my preference. I think if your daily driver is 152, the 158 in a powder ski should work great. The 112 waist will be more than enough to float you at your weight. The one issue might be skiing them home on a groomer at the end of the day. Just keep it slow on the groomer and slarve and you will be fine. Enjoy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I ski Alta/Bird and currently only have one pair of skis (Volkl Secrets 92 in 156). I'm 5'1, 140lb, prefer mellow trees, soft moguls, left over powder.

I've been drooling over the DPS Carbon Kaizen 112/101 because I prefer shorter turn radius but they are insanely expensive. I saw these older models DPS on Sierra for $400 bucks and I bought it (but can still return it).
What skis have you demo'd that are in the 110 width range?

For a few years I was renting DPS skis as often as possible when I was lucky and caught a powder storm during trips to Alta. Assuming Alta Ski Shop had any left that were an appropriate length. I was also making it to Alta for the Demo Day in April in those seasons. I'm 5'0", 110 lbs, over 60, and only get good enough to really enjoy deep powder during the last decade. What I ended up buying (used from a Diva) was the DPS Zelda, 106 underfoot. I opted to go short so the Zeldas are the same length as my all-mountain skis that are 85 underfoot.

I demo'd the Yvette 112 a year or two before. Found that while they were fun in deep powder, skiing a groomer was not fun. I wanted to own powder skis that were more versatile and good for more than just deep powder days. The Zeldas work out well in April when there is powder or for warm days.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
Haven't demo'd the 110 width range so thus my honest title of "am I doing something dum and gonna regret it" haha. Due to work / life reasons I can rarely make it up there before 11 and by then everything is usually gone. So storm days are my favorite because of the free refills all day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't demo'd the 110 width range so thus my honest title of "am I doing something dum and gonna regret it" haha. Due to work / life reasons I can rarely make it up there before 11 and by then everything is usually gone. So storm days are my favorite because of the free refills all day.
Not much risk getting the Pagoda on sale. Since you are in SLC, I would think re-selling would be straightforward if it comes to that. I'm sure Lone Pine ends up with DPS skis. The former incarnation of that consignment shop always had a few pairs even late season.

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! I am going to check out Lone Pine to sell one of DH's skis. He hates the Elan Wingmans the boot fitter recommended to him so I offered to "help" him sell it (for a cut ofc).

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
Well looks like this little adventure is ending up with a return. They arrived wrapped in plastic but then in multiple places the ski looks like it's coming apart, almost like it was stored somewhere hot and/or humid so the materials contract and expand too much.

IMG_3412.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 12

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That does not look good!! Guess you need to buy something different then....

Porcupine

Certified Ski Diva
Yeah not sure what to do now. Even if I find skis I like I don’t want to pay full price but I am now scared of online deals pushing their damaged goods. Sure I can return them but that’s a bunch of wasted time.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah not sure what to do now. Even if I find skis I like I don’t want to pay full price but I am now scared of online deals pushing their damaged goods. Sure I can return them but that’s a bunch of wasted time.
Well, spring is coming soon and with that, sales to make way for new models/inventory... Maybe stick to models you can buy off the floor at stores like EVO? Though I would have thought Sierra was reputable for an online dealer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna