• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alta April 8-11 - spring skiing

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just finished 4 days of skiing at Alta. Missed the best powder from the snowstorm that dumped 2 feet of powder and closed the canyon for a day on April 6, but still enjoyed the fresh snow and spring skiing conditions that followed.

A little complicated to explain, but the short story is that Marz Jr. (9yo daughter) and I met up with an alumni group at Alta Lodge. The gathering was set up months ago so we were lucky about the late season snowstorms and avoiding the full day interlodge (no skiing, must stay in lodge building) last Tue. This annual event began two years ago and we had a ball attending. Both of us ski a lot better now so enjoyed more than the groomers this trip.

Our group included several families who took full advantage of ski school. Marz Jr. had the same instructor (full-day, PM only, full-day) and went from Level 6 to Level 7. Level 6 included ungroomed easy blacks when conditions were soft, such as Challenger (off Supreme, wide, steep, usually groomed but not right after big storms) and Nina's Curve (short gulley off Collins or Wildcat). The instructor decided the snow was too hard for them to do Lower Sunspot. On Sat there were only 1-2 boys with her (AM-2, PM-1) in Level 7. Needless to say, she learned a lot!

I hung with the adventurous types in the group for a few runs a couple of mornings. These were expert skiers (alpine and tele) who are quite willing to hike for powder runs. The group included locals/regulars who know Alta well. Most of the rest of the time I did a variety of lift-served blacks with a ski buddy who is an expert. Bottom line is that I had a chance to practiced a lot of the new skills I learned during Diva Week at Tahoe.

Supreme was the popular area until things softened up on Sugarloaf and Collins mid-morning or early afternoon. Mostly blue skies, but had a snow shower Fri and thick clouds for a couple hours midday Sat. Sun it was quite windy at the top and things didn't soften up until mid-afternoon. Few people skiing the trees or the bowls before 3pm because they were too hard. Even my friends who are local powder hounds, and over 50, stuck to the groomers Sun afternoon. I think they went skiing for a couple hours mainly to get a few last runs off Supreme before it closed for the season.

The pics are to spark the interest of intermediates who aspire to feel like advanced skiers soon. Alta is not just for advanced/expert powder hounds. Not having to watch out for beginner/intermediate snowboarders is a bonus.

Enjoy!

Flying into SLC on April 7
AltaApr10-01.jpg

My brother-in-law skied with us on Friday. He and his friend are intermediates who liked the blue groomers off Supreme. They also liked Little Dipper and Devil's Elbow off Sugarloaf. It was soft enough for them to finish the day cruising the long blue runs off Collins.
AltaApr10-02.jpg

Marz Jr. and new ski buddy, transfer rope two between Wildcat and Albion bases in the background
AltaApr10B-03.jpg

Extrovert (ungroomed black off Sugarloaf) was good when soft
AltaApr10-09.jpg

AltaApr10B-06.jpg

Ballroom was already pretty tracked out by Thu morning, the powder dump on Mon-Tue didn't last long because it warmed up fast on Wed - pics taken late afternoon April 10

Entrance to Ballroom traverse on the far left, just below top of Collins lift (considered blue before the second gate near the trees and cliff near traverse, black afterwards)
AltaApr10B-09.jpg

View of Ballroom from Main Street
AltaApr10-10.jpg

Wildcat lift, pic taken from Collins chair, the only one blue off Wildcat is on skier's far right
AltaApr10B-02.jpg

View from Collins lift towards Wildcat base, skiers are on Meadow (blue)
AltaApr10B-01.jpg

Done

marzNC

Angel Diva
Some pics of my adventure to find some powder on Castle Apron the morning of April 10. Went with some guys from my alumni group, including a couple on tele skis. As they were booting up, saw several women on the traverse. But I was below it so couldn't ask if they were SkiDivas.

The traverse involves a certain amount of sidestepping. But I could take my time since it took the guys another 20-25 min to get up under the cliff. Well worth the effort since stays in the shade long enough that even after 2-3 warm days since the dump there was untracked powder to be found.

The gate is off Rock N' Roll from the Supreme chair. One nice thing about this traverse is that you can bail at any point before the bend and do a short powder run back to the groomer. But I was pretty determined to watch the guys, as well as get more powder turns. For one thing I wanted to see how my One Luvs would do. Happy to say they did fine!

Have to get around the bend to see Castle Apron
AltaApr10B-05.jpg

Made it around the corner on the traverse
AltaApr10-04.jpg

Friends who did the bootpack (not the trio on the traverse)
AltaApr10-05.jpg

Powder below the traverse
AltaApr10-06.jpg

Looking up from the traverse, the guys are up there
AltaApr10-08.jpg

About ready to track the pow
AltaApr10-07.jpg

Done

jaelni

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for posting such a great trip report.
Alta looks fantastic, you have wet this intermediate skiers appetite.!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ballroom! That's it. Did it years and years ago, long forgot the name, pics totally restored memories of it. Thanks for posting great pics, so glad you had a good time!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just finished 4 days of skiing at Alta. Missed the best powder from the snowstorm that dumped 2 feet of powder and closed the canyon for a day on April 6, but still enjoyed the fresh snow and spring skiing conditions that followed.

My brother-in-law skied with us on Friday. He and his friend are intermediates who liked the blue groomers off Supreme. They also liked Little Dipper and Devil's Elbow off Sugarloaf. It was soft enough for them to finish the day cruising the long blue runs off Collins.
AltaApr10-02.jpg

Marz Jr. and new ski buddy, transfer rope two between Wildcat and Albion bases in the background
AltaApr10B-03.jpg
By the looks of big grins on those faces, I don't think you missed a thing!
:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharin'!

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sure does look like a fun trip. I continue to be jealous.....
We're done here in the east.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ballroom! That's it. Did it years and years ago, long forgot the name, pics totally restored memories of it. Thanks for posting great pics, so glad you had a good time!

I did one run down Ballroom ages ago . . . in 8th grade as an intermediate on straight skis . . . at the tail end of my classmate's powder lesson. She grew up at Alta and invited me for a week during spring break for our boarding school near Lake Placid. Then another run with her a couple years ago during the alumni gathering. Definitely the reason I want to get more chances to enjoy true powder skiing. Alta has so many ways to have fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Forgot I had a pic of the woman who booted up just after my friends. She went slow and steady, never stopped for a break as she hiked up. She carried her skis on her shoulder. She was alone, so I assume she is a local powder hound.

AltaApr10-11.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you for posting such a great trip report.
Alta looks fantastic, you have wet this intermediate skiers appetite.!

Hope you make it to SLC some day! Not only for Alta, but also to check out some of the other great ski resorts in the area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga