• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Affordable ski towns

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
One thing to keep in mind is that the ski towns where the super rich moved to during Covid have really changed in character to what they were before, not to mention a tripling of housing costs. These towns are suffering. I'd stick to 2nd or 3rd tier resort towns.
^^^ THIS. QFT.
South Lake Tahoe, CA/Stateline, NV
My son put in a bid on a house in SLT, regrettably right before/when the pandemic lockdown started. He was easily outbid. The house went for more than double his not-unreasonable bid. Housing prices there are through the roof (what one can see of roofs lately there...)

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that looks really interesting. Thanks for posting.

I imagine even if you aren't a low paid resort employee, you could still be affected by the factors that were talked about in the other thread about this--the transient nature of the population which makes it hard to have a stable community of friends, the high cost of living, the lack of mental health services. I guess we'd need to watch this to find out if these issues are more specific to the kind of classic/"real" ski towns we've all been priced out of anyway. It seems like more of the conversation here was about larger towns within an hour of skiing; these towns are probably going to have more stable communities and more services.
I wonder if the resorts should pay their employees a living wage. I think they pay next to nothing for all positions because people love skiing so much they'd do it all for free! But if big companies like Alterra are making billions they can afford to pay more. Not the little resorts, though, of course.

I worry about the transient population. It's a red flag for me if I see shared condos for sale on Realtor.com.

I'll probably pay to watch this movie! Bode lives in Bozeman. Let us know if you watch it!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another article about mental health in ski towns.
Interesting! I've read about people taking a year or two to live the dream by moving to a resort town and skiing everyday. It seems you can't do that forever and be happy, and I don't really want to do that anyway. I want to find a sense of community and set down roots, but it seems that can be really hard in those transient and activity focused towns. So many factors! But as everyone is pointing out those towns are no longer affordable anyway.

mustski

Angel Diva
I would say that Big Bear, CA definitely has that community feel. I made friends really quickly there - both on and off the slopes. It’s not world class skiing though. It’s a small, 1000 vert drop, local bump. I feel that Reno has gone easy for us thanks to @SnowHot and her group of friends. Connecting with people is key. Truthfully though, having lived in tourist vacation spots since 1978, people move in and people move out so there is a certain emotional toll from friends leaving. It goes with the territory.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say that Big Bear, CA definitely has that community feel. I made friends really quickly there - both on and off the slopes. It’s not world class skiing though. It’s a small, 1000 vert drop, local bump. I feel that Reno has gone easy for us thanks to @SnowHot and her group of friends. Connecting with people is key. Truthfully though, having lived in tourist vacation spots since 1978, people move in and people move out so there is a certain emotional toll from friends leaving. It goes with the territory.
That's sad to hear! But it seems at least every 7 years something happens anyway - friends change, people move, interests change... But yes that would be hard

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found some beautiful new townhomes for sale in a Portland suburb (Tigard). I decided I'm not going to buy a house due to the upkeep, so that will impact more rural housing opportunities closer to skiing.

Pros and cons
-1:15 to 1:30 hours to Mt Hood skiing. I've skied Timberline once in the summer, but otherwise have never been
-Seattle keeps getting more and more expensive and skiing is 2 hours away
-Still in the dreary PNW with limited sun
-Area has great outdoor activities and parks
-Up to 10% income tax (vs none in Seattle), but no sales tax (10% in Seattle)
-In my company's footprint, but I'll still be WFH
-I know the city a bit, so no big surprises
-Relatively close move from Seattle
-The townhomes are barely affordable, but the same as my current rent in Seattle
-Home prices may still go down, making it a bad investment
-People may be more outgoing and friendly in Portland compared to Seattle
-It's a solid blue state, and I've decided that's a must for me

Anyone with kids ski Mt Hood? Anyone know Tigard? It seems family friendly!

PollySid

Certified Ski Diva
Affordability is important because with a baby I no longer want to spend a lot of money on rent/mortgage.

I want to live somewhere beautiful with nature right out my door. And a ski hill closeby. The resort doesn’t have to be big. But charming is important!

I usually like suburban areas near big cities but I want to break that habit because they are so pricey! We’ll see how I do with that.

Thanks - I’ll look at Taos and Spokane! ☺️
With a little one, you may want to add schools to your calculus. Spokane has grown quite a bit, and I think it has vibrant young families, therefore, good community support if the schools. They have a wonderful museum (NW Museum of Arts and Culture “MAC”) and Spokane Jazz Orchestra.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With a little one, you may want to add schools to your calculus. Spokane has grown quite a bit, and I think it has vibrant young families, therefore, good community support if the schools. They have a wonderful museum (NW Museum of Arts and Culture “MAC”) and Spokane Jazz Orchestra.
Nice! I bet the weather is much better in Spokane too! I'd like more sun.

I agree - the schools in Tigard are supposed to be excellent.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Nice! I bet the weather is much better in Spokane too! I'd like more sun.

I agree - the schools in Tigard are supposed to be excellent.
We have true 4 seasons here.

District 81 schools are well funded with extra programs in district such as parent co-op, Montessori, one day weekly GATE (Gifted And Talented Education) programs for elementary kids and a full time program for GATE grades 5-8. . SD81 also gets Gates Foundation money for computer labs as Bill Gates sister lives here.

Christy

Angel Diva
Maybe @vickie can help with the Portland area advice?

I am not a Portland area expert at all, but I wonder about being on the west side of the metro area, and getting to the ski areas to the east. Would an east side suburb be better?

-Seattle keeps getting more and more expensive and skiing is 2 hours away

Okay, you must know that skiing isn't 2 hours away, especially for you in Bellevue. For me in Seattle, just west of Green Lake, I can be at Alpental or any Snoqualmie area in exactly 1 hour. Stevens is 1:40. And for you, not having to cross a floating bridge and deal with that traffic, it's considerably closer.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have true 4 seasons here.

District 81 schools are well funded with extra programs in district such as parent co-op, Montessori, one day weekly GATE (Gifted And Talented Education) programs for elementary kids and a full time program for GATE grades 5-8. . SD81 also gets Gates Foundation money for computer labs as Bill Gates sister lives here.
That all sounds amazing! And I'd love to see four seasons. We only had one season in So Cal. lol

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not a Portland area expert at all, but I wonder about being on the west side of the metro area, and getting to the ski areas to the east. Would an east side suburb be better?
Yes, I'd prefer that! But the well built-out suburbs are west of Portland. I did find a development I liked east of Portland, but it was a house and I don't want the maintenance that comes with a house...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Maybe @vickie can help with the Portland area advice?

Okay, you must know that skiing isn't 2 hours away, especially for you in Bellevue. For me in Seattle, just west of Green Lake, I can be at Alpental or any Snoqualmie area in exactly 1 hour. Stevens is 1:40. And for you, not having to cross a floating bridge and deal with that traffic, it's considerably closer.
My best friend lived in metro portland. She's given up skiing due to the traffic..

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I lived and worked in Portland from 2012-2018. Moved there from the DC area.

-1:15 to 1:30 hours to Mt Hood skiing. I've skied Timberline once in the summer, but otherwise have never been
I skied Mt Hood Meadows 2 or 3 times before I started driving to Bachelor instead.

The first time, the primary part of Meadows was pretty icy. I was advised by a young man that it wasn't really suitable for an intermediate skier who doesn't know the mountain. So I skied the green trails off to the left and worked on skills.

When I did get to the main body of Meadows on another day, I couldn't tell much about where I was. All I could think was "why don't you put some money into some damn SIGNS". I am very comfortable with ski maps, but I couldn't find signs to match up to the map.

It may have been 1.25 hours from home (near PDX airport) to Mt Hood, but it took that long just to get off the mountain on a weekend. Drive home was close to 3 hours.

Then a friend told me that Meadows has ditches or gullies or something that I should be cautious of. I dubbed Meadows a "locals mountain" since apparently you have to already know the place to ski it safely solo.

I skied Timberline a few times, but only midweek or late season, and really enjoyed it.

I did more skiing when I lived in the DC area than in Portland. And skied Bachelor more than Mt Hood.

I'm sure there are others on here who know way more about Mt Hood than I do and who like it. It was just a PITA to me.

-Still in the dreary PNW with limited sun
During my last full year in Portland, a radio announcer informed us that that was the 300th consecutive day without sun. IIRC, Portland actually gets more rain than Seattle.

Up to 10% income tax (vs none in Seattle), but no sales tax (10% in Seattle)
Vancouver, WA may offer the best of both worlds wrt taxes. No income tax and you can cross the river to shop tax-free in Oregon.

-People may be more outgoing and friendly in Portland compared to Seattle
Seattle had more of a city feel to me, so Portland might seem friendlier. But I was never convinced it was actually true.

To me, in DC, if someone doesn't like you and sees you coming down the street, they'll probably avoid you. In Portland, it felt like if they didn't like you, were on the other side of the street and saw you coming, they'd cross the street to stop you and chat with you, then talk about you behind your back. I had been forewarned that the Northwest has a reputation for passive-aggressive behavior. Since you're in that region, you may be used to it. I was not.

OTOH, Portland is full of locally-owned restaurants. I'm a picky eater, so exploring them felt risky! But I felt welcome and appreciated. My current location is south of Denver ... and this is the mecca of chain restaurants. That's one of the things I do miss about Portland. But you may find more of a chain restaurant culture in the family-friendlier areas around Portland, so YMMV. And you may find the people to be very accepting of newcomers.

-It's a solid blue state, and I've decided that's a must for me
Charts from Wikipedia:

Screenshot_20240401-140026.png

Blue areas are more populated so the state may lean that way, but that doesn't mean you'll encounter blue attitudes everywhere you go

Anyone know Tigard? It seems family friendly!
I didn't spend any time in Tigard, but based on the people I knew who lived there, it did seem to be family-oriented. Beaverton and Lake Oswego also seemed popular with families.

I'm not trying to argue your pros and cons, but my experience differs from how you're seeing it. There may be a whole host of reasons why Portland is the right place for you. And your priorities will be different than mine. I met many people there who were born and raised in Portland who cannot imagine ever living somewhere else.

There were pockets of people and places in the Portland area that I really enjoyed and that I miss. But I had retired and Portland seemed to be declining, so I decided it was time to move on.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I lived and worked in Portland from 2012-2018. Moved there from the DC area.

I skied Mt Hood Meadows 2 or 3 times before I started driving to Bachelor instead.

The first time, the primary part of Meadows was pretty icy. I was advised by a young man that it wasn't really suitable for an intermediate skier who doesn't know the mountain. So I skied the green trails off to the left and worked on skills.

When I did get to the main body of Meadows on another day, I couldn't tell much about where I was. All I could think was "why don't you put some money into some damn SIGNS". I am very comfortable with ski maps, but I couldn't find signs to match up to the map.

It may have been 1.25 hours from home (near PDX airport) to Mt Hood, but it took that long just to get off the mountain on a weekend. Drive home was close to 3 hours.

Then a friend told me that Meadows has ditches or gullies or something that I should be cautious of. I dubbed Meadows a "locals mountain" since apparently you have to already know the place to ski it safely solo.

I skied Timberline a few times, but only midweek or late season, and really enjoyed it.

I did more skiing when I lived in the DC area than in Portland. And skied Bachelor more than Mt Hood.

I'm sure there are others on here who know way more about Mt Hood than I do and who like it. It was just a PITA to me.

During my last full year in Portland, a radio announcer informed us that that was the 300th consecutive day without sun. IIRC, Portland actually gets more rain than Seattle.

Vancouver, WA may offer the best of both worlds wrt taxes. No income tax and you can cross the river to shop tax-free in Oregon.

Seattle had more of a city feel to me, so Portland might seem friendlier. But I was never convinced it was actually true.

To me, in DC, if someone doesn't like you and sees you coming down the street, they'll probably avoid you. In Portland, it felt like if they didn't like you, were on the other side of the street and saw you coming, they'd cross the street to stop you and chat with you, then talk about you behind your back. I had been forewarned that the Northwest has a reputation for passive-aggressive behavior. Since you're in that region, you may be used to it. I was not.

OTOH, Portland is full of locally-owned restaurants. I'm a picky eater, so exploring them felt risky! But I felt welcome and appreciated. My current location is south of Denver ... and this is the mecca of chain restaurants. That's one of the things I do miss about Portland. But you may find more of a chain restaurant culture in the family-friendlier areas around Portland, so YMMV. And you may find the people to be very accepting of newcomers.

Charts from Wikipedia:

View attachment 22972

Blue areas are more populated so the state may lean that way, but that doesn't mean you'll encounter blue attitudes everywhere you go

I didn't spend any time in Tigard, but based on the people I knew who lived there, it did seem to be family-oriented. Beaverton and Lake Oswego also seemed popular with families.

I'm not trying to argue your pros and cons, but my experience differs from how you're seeing it. There may be a whole host of reasons why Portland is the right place for you. And your priorities will be different than mine. I met many people there who were born and raised in Portland who cannot imagine ever living somewhere else.

There were pockets of people and places in the Portland area that I really enjoyed and that I miss. But I had retired and Portland seemed to be declining, so I decided it was time to move on.
Leaves out the blue blob of Spokane. There are lots of us.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna