• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice on ski bags -- roller or not

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
My ski bag gets checked quite often, but it's usually pretty obvious that there's nothing but skis and poles. My husband theorizes that they check me because they know that -- and it's an easy check (you know....like giving out easy traffic tickets to meet quota). Makes a little sense....

It's really interesting how no one (on this forum) checks their boots. I think that's in part my thinking with a rolling bag....then the skis and boots are together (rather than two separate bags). Less chance of one part to be "misplaced"? Just an approach I'm noodling through.

It is interesting about the "interrogation" of your skis in Boston. I read that a few times throughout the Evo and Amazon reviews. I've never been asked that -- I'd be busted 10 times over for my boot bag!
I looked up Delta and this is what I find for constituting ski equipment:

• One ski/pole bag or snowboard bag
  • AND One boot bag is accepted per person
Guidelines are:
  • Standard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply
  • If the combined weight of ski/snowboard bags and boot bag weighs over 50 lbs, the applicable excess weight fee will be charged
  • If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), the item will not be accepted
  • Items in excess of baggage allowance will be subject to additional or overweight baggage fees
That's really weird about your experience in Boston! Though, I found this out in the SW community forum:

"This seems to be a Boston thing. The agent at bag drop also blamed it on TSA but there's nothing on the TSA site about it. Repacked my jacket, bibs, towels to protect my bindings and avalanche gear coming back from SLC and they didn't say a word about it. Boston just making their own rules which isn't that unusual"

I would think if they across the board start cracking down on having anything else in the ski bag there will be a load of unhappy travelers (and travel equipment companies!).
Safe travels and fun skiing....to you! :ski:

Last edited:

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Single Sportube for me when flying. I have used mine for around a decade, still going strong, but with enough scuffs and bruises that I know I would not travel with my skis in a soft bag ever. The wheels are a necessary for me, no way am I carrying skis on my shoulder too. I use a Patagonia Black Hole duffle backpack as my carryon.. that contains my ski boots, clothing and gear I need for skiing if other stuff gets lost etc, and my helmet gets clipped to the outside. Then one hand pulls the rolling suitcase I check and the other pulls the Sportube. Works out well for traveling solo. I used to use a rolling carryon instead of my backpack duffle, but it drove me crazy trying to roll 3 bags when traveling solo, so the backpack alleviates that.
I really like the Black Hole duffle backpack idea to free up your hands. What size do you use? I'm assuming the backpack straps are beefy enough to support all that weight.

elemmac

Angel Diva
So....trying to figure out how I can have 1 bag charge and otherwise carry everything on board. Seems impossible though.
I've done it, but it takes some planning and discipline. If I'm staying at an AirBnb (or other condo/house/etc) that has laundry, I take full advantage. Or on some trips, I've opted to handwash as needed. I almost always pack items in my ski (or snowboard) bag though...soft sided, double roller. I've never been questioned.

I don't think I've found a one-size-fits-all luggage solution. Each trip seems to be a bit different. I have a couple suitcases, and a couple backpacks....and just figure it out as I'm packing.

A game changer (for me…and the weird ways I think) to packing light was thinking about packing in "hours" rather than "days". For example...I can wear one pair of casual socks for a full day, which is about 12 hours. For each ski day I only wear casual socks after skiing, for 4-6 hours. This means I can wear the same pair of casual socks for 2-3 days. Instead of bringing 5 (one for each day), I'll bring 2. Now if you do this with every item it's amazing how much clothing you bring that you don't really "need".

Last edited:

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
This is our set-up for 2. The ski bag locks almost always get opened and "lost". I have a few items with the skis like bubble wrap and, hand held massage gun, sidas cat tracks...
I try not to put much as the airlines don't like it. We each have a boot bag which we strap to ski bag to carry throughout airport, etc. We have one suitcase, also a roller and since I can't carry my boot bag for long. I have a little under seat suitcase that I put my bootbag on and wheel thru airport. Boot bag has essentials. One day of ski clothes, helmet, goggles, boots etc. 1000009568.jpg

alpinegal

Certified Ski Diva
I totally appreciate the concern about the pants! I found my favs in Helly Hanson, and I would certainly be said without them! Ski pants are almost on par with swim suits! :cry:

So I totally understand the need to carry on helmet and boots (though personally I wouldn't care so much about my helmet). I'm wondering what do you do with all your non-ski clothes -- do you also send through a suitcase or do they all fit in your ski bag? I just can't imagine all my clothes and toiletries (all fitting in my boot bag). Trying to figure out the logistics.

Everything else (non-ski clothes, etc) goes in the ski bag!

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
I've done it, but it takes some planning and discipline. If I'm staying at an AirBnb (or other condo/house/etc) that has laundry, I take full advantage. Or on some trips, I've opted to handwash as needed. I almost always pack items in my ski (or snowboard) bag though...soft sided, double roller. I've never been questioned.

I don't think I've found a one-size-fits-all luggage solution. Each trip seems to be a bit different. I have a couple suitcases, and a couple backpacks....and just figure it out as I'm packing.

A game changer (for me…and the weird ways I think) to packing light was thinking about packing in "hours" rather than "days". For example...I can wear one pair of casual socks for a full day, which is about 12 hours. For each ski day I only wear casual socks after skiing, for 4-6 hours. This means I can wear the same pair of casual socks for 2-3 days. Instead of bringing 5 (one for each day), I'll bring 2. Now if you do this with every item it's amazing how much clothing you bring that you don't really "need".
That is BRILLIANT! While I haven't put it specifically in those terms, I do recognize that even when I'm not skiing I hardly ever wear socks hanging out at the lodge, etc. Plus my feet aren't sweaty when I'm cold so...even more reason to wear socks multiple times. Most of my clothing I've minimized though I struggle to reduce top layers cuz I HATE being cold! I definitely will work with that model though...it'll help!

Christy

Angel Diva
I struggle to reduce top layers cuz I HATE being cold!
Top layers are an easy thing for me to bring only one or two of--I wear wool and they don't get smelly, so I can wear the same one for skiing every day and then I wear the same wool l/s tee under a sweater each evening. I could really conserve space and also wear the same sweater each night, but I bring a second.

ChollaKicker

Diva in Training
My ski bag gets checked quite often, but it's usually pretty obvious that there's nothing but skis and poles. My husband theorizes that they check me because they know that -- and it's an easy check (you know....like giving out easy traffic tickets to meet quota). Makes a little sense....

It's really interesting how no one (on this forum) checks their boots. I think that's in part my thinking with a rolling bag....then the skis and boots are together (rather than two separate bags). Less chance of one part to be "misplaced"? Just an approach I'm noodling through.

It is interesting about the "interrogation" of your skis in Boston. I read that a few times throughout the Evo and Amazon reviews. I've never been asked that -- I'd be busted 10 times over for my boot bag!
Well..you know what "they" say..you marry your boots but just date your skis...!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I really like the Black Hole duffle backpack idea to free up your hands. What size do you use? I'm assuming the backpack straps are beefy enough to support all that weight.
I have a 60L Black Hole.. amazing how much it fits! Oh yes, the backpack straps definitely support the weight just fine.

Here’s an example of my travel stuff for ski trips. This was heading to Taos last year.

IMG_5364.jpeg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's what I was maneuvering around the SLC airport tonight. Red Sidekick is heavy. Helps to put my laptop in the boot suitcase. Bungi cord lets me pull the two rolling cases together.

Ski bag weighed 42 pounds when I checked in. Two pairs of skis that are 159cm long so room at the top end for other stuff.

SLC baggage Feb2024 - 1.jpeg

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I fly for nearly all my skiing and bag of choice is currently the Burton Wheelie Gig - takes a little getting used to the way to pack it as it has more space in the middle. However, where I fly (New Zealand) the ski bag counts as oversized checked luggage and there are no rules about only containing skis.

I also travel in my ski gear as my 'worst case scenario' of my checked bag not arriving for 2-3 days if I am going on a longer trip, although that has never happened yet. My carry-on is the 50L Dakine boot pack and I put boots with socks stuffed in them, sunscreen, mittens, helmet, goggles in their case with 2-3 pairs of disposable contact lenses, airhole masks, and a heavyweight 'base layer' (340gsm merino) if I think I can push the envelope on weight.
On the plane, I make sure I have my preferred lip balms in my pocket + ski pass, then have ski socks, ski pants with vent zips open and compression layer (usually CW-X) underneath, sports bra, short-sleeved merino or compression top, long-sleeved full zip merino hoodie and jacket with phone/wallet in the pocket. The good thing about the top layers being full zip is you can take them off easily/unzip to cool down. Last year I would take an early morning flight, pick up a rental car and then drive from the airport to the snow so I got better at working out what I wanted to wear!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I’m impressed with folks who wear their ski pants on the plane.

This is the third season I’m using the Transpack double roller. One pair of skis, poles, clothes in packing bags, spare gloves, Kulkea micro pack, etc. I carry on my boots in a rolling boot bag with toiletry and a day’s worth of ski clothes, and a duffle that fits under the seat with helmet, goggles, electronics, and purse. The duffle is strapped to the rolling boot bag. Two bags with wheels, two hands. Easy peasy.

IMG_5373.jpeg

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I have a 60L Black Hole.. amazing how much it fits! Oh yes, the backpack straps definitely support the weight just fine.

Here’s an example of my travel stuff for ski trips. This was heading to Taos last year.

View attachment 22606
I think taking my helmet out like that would help a lot. We saw a man with 2 carry ons and 4 helmets. I asked if the staff ever stopped him…he said no!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I’m impressed with folks who wear their ski pants on the plane.

This is the third season I’m using the Transpack double roller. One pair of skis, poles, clothes in packing bags, spare gloves, Kulkea micro pack, etc. I carry on my boots in a rolling boot bag with toiletry and a day’s worth of ski clothes, and a duffle that fits under the seat with helmet, goggles, electronics, and purse. The duffle is strapped to the rolling boot bag. Two bags with wheels, two hands. Easy peasy.

View attachment 22616
Have they not taken your clothes and put them in a box on the luggage belt? I heard that has happened. They open to see what is in the bag. We really try not to put too much in the ski bags.

Michelle P

Certified Ski Diva
Top layers are an easy thing for me to bring only one or two of--I wear wool and they don't get smelly, so I can wear the same one for skiing every day and then I wear the same wool l/s tee under a sweater each evening. I could really conserve space and also wear the same sweater each night, but I bring a second.
Thanks for your thoughts! Actually that is helpful because it supports what I am already doing. 1 sweater for skiing, one for going out (knowing I can use the other as well). Even many of my layers I reuse every day cuz....well, I don't sweat much and we usually stay in places with washing machines. I am always thinking that I could do better/do more/ be lighter....but maybe I'm already doing good enough! :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna