• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Advice on adjusting to new style of ski...

Sharoski

Diva in Training
Hi everyone. I'm new here, just signed on a few days ago and have enjoyed reading many of the threads. You all sound like a lovely group of ski divas, with a wealth of information.

I live on the west coast of Canada in BC and ski the local Vancouver mountains, Cypress mostly, and Whistler/Blackcomb whenever DH and I can get up there with the kids - 2 girls, 10 and 12. I am the lone skier in the family, the rest of them being snowboarders. I have been skiing on front side carving skis for the past 10 years or so, my current pair being Salomon X-Wing 10 in 166, about 72 mm underfoot. I recently bought the Blizzard Black Pearls in 173 - they are sitting there in my basement all brand new and sparkly with their marker squire bindings, begging to be taken to the mountains. I am hoping to try them soon when I squeeze one or two more ski days in before season closes at Blackcomb mountain. My question is can you please tell me what changes to expect in how they feel as a ski, or what adjustments to technique that might help me transition into them, or are they so awesome and easy to ski (like the reviews say!!!) that I will be able to pop them on and ski like I've never skied before? Just wondering if you can give me any pointers for my first few runs on them. I expect the snow to be pretty soft and mushy as the weather has warmed up a lot - but may still find some better conditions at the top of the mountain.

Thanks so much! Looking forward to hearing how you adjusted from traditional cambered carving skis to new mid fat skis with rocker tip and tail.

Sharon
Advanced intermediate (on a good day!)
5'9" in the 150 lb "range"

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and welcome Sharoski. TBH I'd just get out there and ski them without overanalysing anything. The softer spring snow should feel so much easier to ski with the extra bit of width the BPs give you. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with them. I skied the bushwackers(mens version) last season and loved them.

Jilly

Staff member
Really the only change you will notice is how long it takes to get the skis on edge. That transfer because of the width of the ski will take longer.

Take your first few runs on a green to get the feel of the ski. I would do this with any new ski, so.....Then progress up to your favorite runs!

Go have some fun!! (Wish I could get out there again, but we're into spring mode here!)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first two runs on my Black Pearls (they weren't mine at the time, was demoing; they WERE mine at the end of the day!) I noticed they REALLY wanted me centered over the ski. I had become a terminal back-seat driver on skis, and they fixed that habit pretty quickly! They are so light that any pilot error is easy to overcome, but they will remind you to center yourself. The harder you drive them, the more fun they are!

The other advice in general is to widen your stance. (That was not working for me earlier this season, as you can see by my avatar.) I finally took a lesson and it started to click.

Have a blast!

marzNC

Angel Diva
As Jilly said, start on an easier run or two and don't worry about the skis. Certainly no need to think about adjusting technique on the first few runs. When I demo'd the BPs last season, I was coming from an all-mountain that was 75 underfoot and 5cm shorter. Found the BPs as easy on groomers and easier on soft bumps (not too steep, wide open bowl). Recently I spent a week on my all-mountain out west, then switched to BPs (thanks to a Diva who decided to sell hers) for the second week. Was very happy in all sorts of different conditions, from spring skiing with very soft snow to 5 inches of fresh powder, on groomers and off.

Have a good time!

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also had to widen my stance when I changed to wider skis, it felt strange at first. And there was some change in my rhythm when getting on edge, it is a timing thing, being slightly more patient through the transition, as I twist and roll my feet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga