• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A stiffer ski

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all,

I've skied K2s for the last few years, but at the end of last season really realized I just want a stiffer ski. I like to carve down double blues and blacks. Suggestions?

Volkls. Demo the Aura, Tierra, even the new Kenja, all in a 154-156 range for you. I'm suggesting those skis because they are meant for varied conditions and you get so many pow days (most seasons).

Windee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Volkl Aurora - I moved to them fr/ the Lottas, and there is less weight, more stuffness and pop, but no room for error.. took some getting used to!
Did a lot of research b4 I bought them..

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am leaning towards Volkls. Dang, I wish I had demoed them for free when I had the chance. I was really tempted to buy them last year with my pro deal, but couldn't justify it. Should have trusted my instincts and just bought them. Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? Virtues of each ski in their lineup?

Ask Katy Perrey about length, I think 156 is perfect for you with those stiffer skis. If you go to a softer rockered twin, add some length. LilaBear skis the 156 Aura and she's an excellent skier and only a bit shorter than I am.

I think Aura is the most versatile. Tierra and Aurora are more oriented to the groomed. Kenja is new and might be perfect for you. DEMO!!!!

GotSnow?

Certified Ski Diva
I'd agree with Volkls, especially as you sound an advanced/expert skier. I just bought a pair of k2 Lotta Luvs to work on my technique, I was getting thrown around a bit on my Volkls. Fuego is a nice advanced ski for carving, plus it looks really neat! I personally like the 09/10 styling better than the 10/11

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all,

I've skied K2s for the last few years, but at the end of last season really realized I just want a stiffer ski. I like to carve down double blues and blacks. Suggestions?

If you're only going to use the ski for blues and blacks and cruising that will be fine, but if you're going to venture off into the trees or get into bumps at all the stiffer ski won't do much for you.

My recommendation is to take a lesson with a high caliber coach. During the lesson, ask them what skis they'd recommend for you and possibly demo with that instructor. THAT is the way to find the real RIGHT ski for you.
Katy is a good example of this.

The primary difference between the volkls and k2's is a difference in dampness, not stiffness.....both lines have stiff and soft versions.

The Aurora is stiffer than, say...... the luna and tierra.....
The Burnin Luv is stiffer than the One Luv, etc.....

Different skis for different abilities and purposes......

Nadine_A

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the same boat. Over this season, I've noticed that my Armadas are holding me back a little. They feel slow and the flex feels almost sloppy. I definitely am not progressing and spending more time and energy working them to keep up my faster snow buddies.

While I was up at Perisher I really wanted to demo some Volkl (based on all the discussions here), but the ski shop didn't have any in stock. The sales guy there recommended the Atomic Cloud 9. He told me they were an agressive ski...I'm definitely not an agressive skier, so I felt a little overwhelmed taking them out.

Boy, they felt weird! After being on twinnies for the past 4 years, they took a bit of getting used to. They were so much heavier (first impressions). By the 3rd run, I really enjoyed them. I liked how easy it was to get on edge, how I could confidently go on any terrain and make nice carve turns. In short, I really felt grounded, something that is getting less and less sure my current skis. I felt that I dealt with them pretty well, but wasn't sure whether they would be progressive enough for me (ie. I'd ski out of them in a season).

Another guy recommended the K2 Free Luv, since I travel with my skis and they are great all mountain ski. First off they felt super comfy, since they were simular to what I have now. I did ride them a bit longer than I would (156; I'm only 5"). Everytime I got off the lift, I was distracted by the tails dragging on the ground :laugh: Again, they were much stiffer than mine and (again), I could comfortably go through scetchy tarrain and still hold an edge. I was so much faster and more confident on them. They made me feel agressive and badass:cool:. The graphics are cool to. Lets face it, fashion is a factor.

So, next I'm going to demo the Tierra this weekend. I'm expecting to feel a bit like it first did on the Atomic, but am looking forward to them. I am a little intimidated that everyone recommends them for advance/expert skis. I do want to progress, so I'm sucking it up. Also really want to try the Kenja. The Peal looks cool too. Just have to find someone in Melbourne who carries them. No luck so far.

The Pearl is pretty soft, nothing like the other Volkl skis. I'm an intermediate skier and do very well with the Fuego and Aura, I think you'll be fine as long as they are not too long for you. I'd love to demo the Kenja this season as well.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I'm in the same boat. Over this season, I've noticed that my Armadas are holding me back a little. They feel slow and the flex feels almost sloppy. I definitely am not progressing and spending more time and energy working them to keep up my faster snow buddies.

While I was up at Perisher I really wanted to demo some Volkl (based on all the discussions here), but the ski shop didn't have any in stock. The sales guy there recommended the Atomic Cloud 9. He told me they were an agressive ski...I'm definitely not an agressive skier, so I felt a little overwhelmed taking them out.

Boy, they felt weird! After being on twinnies for the past 4 years, they took a bit of getting used to. They were so much heavier (first impressions). By the 3rd run, I really enjoyed them. I liked how easy it was to get on edge, how I could confidently go on any terrain and make nice carve turns. In short, I really felt grounded, something that is getting less and less sure my current skis. I felt that I dealt with them pretty well, but wasn't sure whether they would be progressive enough for me (ie. I'd ski out of them in a season).

Another guy recommended the K2 Free Luv, since I travel with my skis and they are great all mountain ski. First off they felt super comfy, since they were simular to what I have now. I did ride them a bit longer than I would (156; I'm only 5"). Everytime I got off the lift, I was distracted by the tails dragging on the ground :laugh: Again, they were much stiffer than mine and (again), I could comfortably go through scetchy tarrain and still hold an edge. I was so much faster and more confident on them. They made me feel agressive and badass:cool:. The graphics are cool to. Lets face it, fashion is a factor.

So, next I'm going to demo the Tierra this weekend. I'm expecting to feel a bit like it first did on the Atomic, but am looking forward to them. I am a little intimidated that everyone recommends them for advance/expert skis. I do want to progress, so I'm sucking it up. Also really want to try the Kenja. The Peal looks cool too. Just have to find someone in Melbourne who carries them. No luck so far.

I really think the differences you noticed between the skis you demoed and your Armadas is that the demo skis are not twins. Hence, their ease in carving and edge hold. Twins are fun, I have a pair I love, but they won't hold an edge and carve like a traditional ski will.

I'm curious about the "stiffer ski" thing....because you don't need a stiff ski to be aggressive, nor do you necessarily need a stiff ski for edge hold (you need lateral stiffness). I've learned to that going to a stiffer, or even livelier, ski does not necessarily make one a better skier.

If you want to progress, take the demo skis on terrain you're NOT comfortable with, too. If you're going to use the skis everywhere, realize that a ski that seems super fun on the groomed may suck in the bumps, etc. And then said ski loses its luster.

Anna

Angel Diva
Hey Nadine!

How;'d you go with the Tierras? Which did you end up demoing and what was your take?

I am popping up the snow this weekend (Sept 4/5th, 80's Day on Buller!!) and am thinking I should try the Tierras instead of the trusty Sol.

Cheers,
Anna

Nadine_A

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Nadine!

How;'d you go with the Tierras? Which did you end up demoing and what was your take?

I am popping up the snow this weekend (Sept 4/5th, 80's Day on Buller!!) and am thinking I should try the Tierras instead of the trusty Sol.

Cheers,
Anna

Hey Anna,

:( I didn't get to try the Tierra. All demos were out when I called around. Not suprisingly since it was epic snow conditions last weekend.:drool:

MtHotham26August.jpg
Alphine Road (main road) to Mount Hotham, Victoria. Yes, they are cars! Very rare in AUS.

I ended up just taking my trusty Cantikas to Mount Baw and had the most awesome time. Went with my friend and "he who seems to be attached to my hip this snow season" (the brother in law):doh:

Crazy boys...they got me do all sorts for firsts:
- My first jump:yahoo: tiniest kicker, but I got air!
- My first rainbow box :cool: Face planted the first one, but it was interesting, not sure if that's my thing.
- The tightest tree run ever. I ruled that one since I was the only one who held my feet. Both of them ended up in ditches:ROTF:

Now back to the skis. I had an interesting conversation with Dave at Auski in Melbourne. I was researching the Volkl Kenjas. This is for replacing my Cantikas rather than another type of ski (eg. a carver) In his words " the best ski in the world...correction the universe". He talked it up so much that I was tempted. He's bought them for his wife and said that as an all mountain play machine they are the BOM.

Here's the thing...hardly anyone demo twinnies in Australia they don't have one to try (I spent a great portion on my time on Friday trying to track some down - no success). So, basically I'd have to buy them and love them without trying them. Pretty expensive setup in AUS ($1100 skis + $400 Marker bindings). I told him this and asked whether he expected that from me and he's response was "hell yeah" (in his Canadian accent of course:laughter:). He said that if I didn't like them, bring em back and he'll sell them to someone else. They've order quite a few of Christmas, 'cept for in my size:( I have to let them know so that they can get it in the order. I know what your thinking... Dave's all about the sale and maybe just a little...sucker comin up!:p But, he actually isn't and I am. I work at the store (Helly Hansen) next to Auski and he knows me, so he wouldn't give me the bum steer.

I checked with Evogear.com and they're getting them in my size. At US$649, they are much cheaper and I'm must more comfortable with that price point as a "try and see how they go" option. If I don't like them I can sell them in AUS.

So now I'm obsessed! :eek: I don't even want to wait until I'm in the States for the Diva Summit because I'm scared I'll miss out.

Sadly, I think my season is over. Dad is in and out of hospital at the moment and I'm sticking close to home. They finally found out he has kidney stones and they're removing them tomorrow. Maybe I'll sneak in a couple of days in before the end of the season. Enjoy 80s day. I was there last year, interesting times. Everyone brings out their old gear... Fluro jumbsuits are the gear of choice this weekend.:D

Nadine_A

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm curious about the "stiffer ski" thing....because you don't need a stiff ski to be aggressive, nor do you necessarily need a stiff ski for edge hold (you need lateral stiffness). I've learned to that going to a stiffer, or even livelier, ski does not necessarily make one a better skier.

If you want to progress, take the demo skis on terrain you're NOT comfortable with, too. If you're going to use the skis everywhere, realize that a ski that seems super fun on the groomed may suck in the bumps, etc. And then said ski loses its luster.

Hey Vanhoskier,

Thanks for the advise. When I demo-ed last time I progressively tried them in different terrain. This just happened as I felt more confident on the demo skis. I found myself in places that I wouldn't go in my Cantikas. I then went back and skied the same terrain my own skis, just to see whether it was just a confidence thing or a ski thing. Definitely a ski thing, since I lost confidence in the same area on my own skis. I bounced over bumps that the others just sliced through. Chatttered or slid a tiny bit over harder packed stuff. So, edge hold I guess was an issue.

As for the stiffer ski thing... My aim is not necessarily to be more agressive (that word just freaks me out:eek:). I just want to go faster and feel more grounded and controlled. Not sure whether a stiffer ski will necessarily help this, but the ones I demos are much stiffer than mine, that includes the Free Luv (partial twins). On my current skis, I ski in control, but just about everyone just zooms past me:Cry:. When I bought them I was a very timid, tentitive skier and I've improved a lot so I just think it's time for new ones. I love my Cantikas. They are my first skis and have served me well. They're going on my wall when they retire:becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
The Cantika is a soft ski. Armada's entry-level all-mountain twin. You sound like you are definitely ready to move up to a more advanced ski! Snow pics there look awesome. It was 94 degrees F here yesterday!

Anna

Angel Diva
:smile: Nadine :smile:
That Hotham pic looks wonderful!
Pity we weren;t up last weekend as well.
We decided to come home rather than even risk getting up the mountain:(
Massive flooding, lots of rain and 115+km/hr winds = not nice :(
so, SIGH, maybe our season is over - although I am thinking about skiving work on Wednesday :smile: Swap for Monday :smile: .. .. ..

Chelsey

Diva in Training
Volkl Kenjas

I am from NZ and did some serious researching of the 2011 lines before setting my heart on the Kenja. Because I was buying before the season had started here there was no chance to demo so I just had to hope for the best and order them in - wouldn't recommend this if you can demo of course :smile: - I am stoked to say that they are absolutely amazing! Not that I have tried every ski, but I would agree they are probably up there with "best in the universe"!

I consider myself an advanced, aggressive skier but I think these babies would be ok for intermediate as well as they give confidence that I've never felt before. With my old skis I always had to work so hard in difficult terrain. With these I felt absolutely no hestitation on any terrain: ice, powder, crud, whatever. They are wide enough to handle the softer stuff but also sharp and with enough carve to hold an edge on the icy stuff.

LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Definitely demo if you get the chance

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga