• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A-basin in May?

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are thinking of heading to A-basin for a mother's day weekend trip this year. Anyone have experience and know what conditions are generally like? What terrain is typically open? Stuff available to ski for a wannabe good skier.

Jilly

Staff member
I've been out 2X for that. Had great conditions for May.

But I would check with our Colorado Diva's for this year.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
This year, conditions will probably be pretty good.

Mid-May in general is when they start to close the advanced terrain. They had a spring slide on the Pali terrain in 2005 that killed someone, and they've been very conservative about closing that terrain ever since. The coverage will still be good, and if it stays cooler Pali will be open, but if it's gotten warm Pali will be closed. Sometimes during that time of year they'll close it and then reopen it again for an afternoon here and there if it cools off.

Anyways, most of the rest of the terrain will be open and it should be skiing fairly well unless April is really disastrously warm. From now through mid-May is personally my favorite time at A-Basin, but it does go from fully open to very spring conditions quite quickly, and it's hard to know exactly when that will happen. It usually happens around Mother's Day.

Here's when it happened in 2022:

If you care a lot about particular terrain being open, it'd be ideal to wait and decide in mid-April or so. If you'll enjoy spring skiing no matter what, that's a fine time of year to lock in a trip imho.

I'm not sure that was helpful. :smile: Feel free to ask more specific questions!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @RachelV I do love spring skiing. I have never skied any resorts in CO, much less ABasin. I just know I am far from an expert skier, so I don't know what terrain will be accessable to me, is it just the expert terrain that's open?

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Sheena be sure to take some quick wax and/or base boost just in case. Last time I skied in CO in May (A basin & Loveland) the snow was very cement-y.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @RachelV I do love spring skiing. I have never skied any resorts in CO, much less ABasin. I just know I am far from an expert skier, so I don't know what terrain will be accessable to me, is it just the expert terrain that's open?

Not at all. The expert terrain is what starts to close in the spring, and it's the intermediate terrain that's left. The snow does get very grabby once it warms up so @Amie H's quick wax suggestion is spot on, but if you're a solid intermediate you'll have plenty to enjoy.

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
I'm considering A-basin for late April to early May and was wondering if it was worth the haul out there. Super helpful discussion.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be up this weekend. Late April is a very safe bet imho. If you love spring skiing no matter what then late April or early May are both very safe bets. :smile:

Anyways, feel free to check in here once your dates are closer. Happy to answer any conditions questions I can.

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
I'll be up this weekend. Late April is a very safe bet imho. If you love spring skiing no matter what then late April or early May are both very safe bets. :smile:

Anyways, feel free to check in here once your dates are closer. Happy to answer any conditions questions I can.
Ahh gotcha. Spring skiing isn't my favorite, but I was out so much of the season I'm not ready to let go! Also have new skis inbound and will be itching to try them out. My home mountain just closed so looking elsewhere to get one last taste of skiing without breaking the bank.

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
Was interested in maybe heading out this weekend with the snow dump incoming. It would be a long long drive (11 hours no stops) and a lot of effort. Any recs? I would be on shiny brand spanking new skis so if there's rocks-a-plenty I'll pass. I'd also be getting some boot work done but that's a side mission. I'm a blue to black skier in Taos. Thanks for any help!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well. :smile: It's gonna snow. The skiing will be good Saturday and Sunday morning. It's spring and the sun angle is really high, so it won't stay a traditional powder day for long -- the snow gets heavy and warm fast this time of year. Sadly, the storm also lines right up with the weekend, so it will be busy (though A-Basin never gets to real sh*tshow status, they do a good job with that). Coverage is still quite good and they're still basically 100% open.

So - fun? Yes, absolutely. Worth an 11 hour drive? I think that depends on how bad you're jonesing to ski. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna