• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2018 Skis

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Were the Yumi stiff enough to really ski hard? I'm an east coast skier so although I love the bumps I still need them to be able to handle hard-pack, etc.

I went as fast as I could and they felt very stable! And they dig right into the ice on the groomers. I went off into the crud and they busted right through it and I felt confident. These are the new 2018 Yumis, which they have redesigned with metal down the middle. I was told the skis did "really well with the testers," but I guess we'll see when the ski reviews come out. I'm 5'4" and 125 pounds and they are enough ski for me.

(The 2017 Yumis are all wood, and while they don't chatter at high speeds sometimes I can't feel that there are even skis under me. Which gets concerning for me. And I get thrown around in them when the groomers get choppy, much less off piste in crud. Overwise I think they are a lovely ski!)

Mogul Mom

Diva in Training
Mogul Mom - The Volkl Kenjas I demoed weren't right for me. And I felt they were at their worst in soft moguls (spring skiing conditions) on a steep slope. I'm 5'4" and 125 pounds so maybe they are just too heavy of a ski for me.

I own the Volkl Auras, and they are too heavy in the moguls as well. But they don't have any camber, so I'm not trying to carve in them. They let me smear and I think that's why I like them in heavy snow. I do not like them on the groomers, though, for that exact reason.

The Yumis are great in the moguls.

Neither the Kenjas or the Auras changed for 2018. :-)

How were the Yumis in everything else?

Mogul Mom

Diva in Training
I went as fast as I could and they felt very stable! And they dig right into the ice on the groomers. I went off into the crud and they busted right through it and I felt confident. These are the new 2018 Yumis, which they have redesigned with metal down the middle. I was told the skis did "really well with the testers," but I guess we'll see when the ski reviews come out. I'm 5'4" and 125 pounds and they are enough ski for me.

(The 2017 Yumis are all wood, and while they don't chatter at high speeds sometimes I can't feel that there are even skis under me. Which gets concerning for me. And I get thrown around in them when the groomers get choppy, much less off piste in crud. Overwise I think they are a lovely ski!)

So sounds like there is a fairly significant difference in the 2018 for the better? Thanks for your feedback! I'm 5'7", 125 lbs. I want some flex for bumps but don't want to end up with a noodle! I ski aggressively. Perhaps the 2018 w/metal will be a good compromise!

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How were the Yumis in everything else?

I loved them in everything! Ice, crud, slush, moguls, groomers. And skiing fast. I didn't get to try them in powder, but I have the Auras for that anyway.

I demoed them both in the the morning and at the end of the day just to be sure it wasn't the snow conditions that made me like them.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sounds like there is a fairly significant difference in the 2018 for the better? Thanks for your feedback! I'm 5'7", 125 lbs. I want some flex for bumps but don't want to end up with a noodle! I ski aggressively. Perhaps the 2018 w/metal will be a good compromise!

I would say that if someone didn't enjoy the old Yumis they won't like the new ones. But if you liked the old ones and just need them to be more stable at speed and able to break through crud, then you will really like the 2018 Yumis. The new version is not a noodle, and you can ski aggressively in them. I didn't take them on any double black runs, but I took them on single blacks and they did great.

They are definitely worth a test drive! :-) Especially if you want a nimble, lively ski.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
looking at 2018 skis. i posted in another thread, but may as well post here.

i've tried the head great joys - i didn't love it, felt it was too boring of a ski. i've tried the atomic vantage's 95 underfoot and i thought this ski is too fast for me - although it was fun to rip on those which i liked. and i've tried the fischer ranger 98w which i thought was really fun playful.

i like a really fun ride, i don't like to go faster than i'm comfortable with. i'm advanced but by no means not near expert territory. what 2018 ski would you recommend? i keep hearing about stockli, dps, black crows and the santa anas by nordica. thanks for any insight...!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
??? Well, a ski is only going to go as fast as you allow it to, so, I'm not sure what criteria you are seeking? Yes, some skis are stiffer and are more manageable at speed, (the old Blizzard Samba comes to mind) but what are some more tangible criteria you are seeking? What type of terrain do you ski, type of snow, etc. Height, weight, etc. There are way more GOOD skis out there anymore than truly BAD ones. It tends to come down to personal needs and preferences. On that note, if you liked the Fischer Ranger, why not get that?

echo_VT

Angel Diva
true, but i did feel the atomic vantage's have a mind of their own compared to my current ski which is a twin tip.

i'm just seeking a playful ski that can rip. unfortunately i don't know if the fischer ranger 98w can rip as i didn't get to test it down truly challenging terrain.

okay i'm guessing i'll be glad with whatever comes my way. i should also say i want to get down steep moguls with ease, and with skill, and to ski it well... any ski to encourage confidence would be helpful. soft bumps, i'm fine with. it's when those bumps turn into moguls, i'm not so much confident at all...

or - should i just be sticking with my twin tips for that?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2018 Black Pearls are sweet.. see if you can demo them.. wonderful in bumps, crud and cruising.. light years from the prior models.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second the Black Pearls--2018 version. Yes, made by Blizzard. I skied a pair last winter as part of an industry demo event, took them out 3 different times, because I couldn't get over how much fun they were. I wanted to keep comparing them to the other skis I was testing. They were hands-down my favorites. I bought a pair immediately last winter, and have skied them probably 40 days already (last season.) Absolutely amazing skis. They pretty much do whatever you ask them to do, in any conditions.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ditto what @contesstant said. the rep at our demo day has skied w/me, was looking for me to try them.. he was beyond excited and told me 'watch out you'll lust after them" he was right..

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
that's hilarious. and now it seems like i should just get them already :smile:

I bought the newly redesigned Volkl Yumi 84s for 2018. You might want to give them a try! I also tried the K2
ALLUVIT 88s, which were much less carvey so weren't for me, but still nice. While these are both skinny skis, they are still all mountain. Based on your comments it seems like these would be along the lines of what you might like.

Thanks for getting us thinking about the snow! :-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga