• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2017 Midwest Test Fest Ski Reviews (2018 skis)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like the Dynastar Intense 10 is a winner. There were a couple of instructors at the Whitetail Demo Day in early Jan who liked it a lot. I enjoyed the Intense 10 @ 146cm but the 153cm was clearly too long. For context, my Head Absolut Joys are 148cm, 78 underfoot.

* Dynastar Intense 10, 153 and 160 cm (120-73-104, 15.0m)
NW (160 cm): OMG!! REALLY fun!! Rock solid, speedy, turns on demand. I have nothing negative to say about this one, and even liked it enough to take it for extended exploring, and that says something!!
JE (153 cm): LOVED THIS SKI!!!

newboots

Angel Diva
This stuff is all beyond me, but I like to read it and try to learn something. @volklgirl , what's my "weight class?" I'm 5'4", 143 lbs.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Sounds like the Dynastar Intense 10 is a winner. There were a couple of instructors at the Whitetail Demo Day in early Jan who liked it a lot. I enjoyed the Intense 10 @ 146cm but the 153cm was clearly too long. For context, my Head Absolut Joys are 148cm, 78 underfoot.

* Dynastar Intense 10, 153 and 160 cm (120-73-104, 15.0m)
NW (160 cm): OMG!! REALLY fun!! Rock solid, speedy, turns on demand. I have nothing negative to say about this one, and even liked it enough to take it for extended exploring, and that says something!!
JE (153 cm): LOVED THIS SKI!!!

And it's such a pretty ski, too! Not sure about that skinny waist, but I'll look for it on my next demo day. I've never skied on a Dynastar, so maybe it's time I give them a try.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This stuff is all beyond me, but I like to read it and try to learn something. @volklgirl , what's my "weight class?" I'm 5'4", 143 lbs.
I'd generally use the following classes: 125 or less=light weight, 130ish-170=mid weight, 175 and up=heavyweight, but that's just me.

Jilly

Staff member
The Intense is a great ski for the east. It's predecessor was the Elite Pro.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Jenny

Angel Diva
Here's the next 2 batches. I had no intention of splitting out the women's skis, but this group was HUGE and I couldn't find a better way to split it up.

https://geargeekgirl.blogspot.com/2017/03/2017-midwest-test-fest-all-mountain.html

https://geargeekgirl.blogspot.com/2017/03/2017-midwest-test-fest-womens-all.html
I can't remember if they changed the Kenja this year or not, but if we get a ski day together this year you can try mine if you want to see what the longer length feels like. They're 170s.

marzNC

Angel Diva
* Head Wild Joy, 168 cm (?-90-?, ?)
KS: The Wild Joy is new for 2018, and it fills the width slot between the Total Joy and the Great Joy. I skied the Total Joy and Super Joy 2 years ago, and I really disliked the super light and stiff construction at the time, so I was excited to give the Wild Joy a try when I heard that they had made some changes to the series’ core material and construction. Boy, I’m glad I did! The Wild Joy was light yet stiff, but not so stiff as to be rattly or bouncy. While slower speeds were doable without any fuss, it really shined at high speeds and in larger turns. That weird vibration underfoot from the previous construction was totally gone. What a complete surprise!!
NW: The Wild Joy was just okay for me. I found the tips to be really floppy. This may be a ski best suited to bigger, heavier, more charging skiers.

Aha! Now that sounds like a ski I want to demo. I like the Joy line in general. The Wild Joy is 139-90-119. With that wide a shovel, I could have fun in pretty deep powder since I'm petite. The Great Joy was too wide for me, 139-97-122, to have fun with on groomers, which was the only option at an Alta Demo Day on an April morning. Not really interested in owning a powder ski for the rare times I get lucky and catch a storm during a trip to the Rockies.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
* Head Wild Joy, 168 cm (?-90-?, ?)
KS: The Wild Joy is new for 2018, and it fills the width slot between the Total Joy and the Great Joy. I skied the Total Joy and Super Joy 2 years ago, and I really disliked the super light and stiff construction at the time, so I was excited to give the Wild Joy a try when I heard that they had made some changes to the series’ core material and construction. Boy, I’m glad I did! The Wild Joy was light yet stiff, but not so stiff as to be rattly or bouncy. While slower speeds were doable without any fuss, it really shined at high speeds and in larger turns. That weird vibration underfoot from the previous construction was totally gone. What a complete surprise!!
NW: The Wild Joy was just okay for me. I found the tips to be really floppy. This may be a ski best suited to bigger, heavier, more charging skiers.

Aha! Now that sounds like a ski I want to demo. I like the Joy line in general. The Wild Joy is 139-90-119. With that wide a shovel, I could have fun in pretty deep powder since I'm petite. The Great Joy was too wide for me, 139-97-122, to have fun with on groomers, which was the only option at an Alta Demo Day on an April morning. Not really interested in owning a powder ski for the rare times I get lucky and catch a storm during a trip to the Rockies.
I'm skiing the Great Joy in switzerland for the week.. Really fun ski- plows through everything ...

marzNC

Angel Diva
In a 153... Could possibly go longer? Turning radius 11.4..usually ski 15-18... Super fun ski...
For what it's worth since we're about the same size (petite), for skis about 100mm underfoot I've gone with lengths from 158 to 166, depending a bit on the amount of rocker. Of course, I only bother to rent wide skis when there is fresh powder at Alta.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
https://geargeekgirl.blogspot.com/2017/03/2017-midwest-test-fest-womens-all.html

* Atomic Vantage 95c W, 170 cm (132-95-118, 16.8m)
KS: SO LIGHT AND SO FUN!! This ski excelled at all turns in all conditions, and even at a 170 length, I could not shake them loose at any speed. Wow!! Light, flexy, poppy, nimble, and super fun! Highly recommend this ski for skilled skiers who want to take on the whole mountain!!
-------------
^^ THIS ski. 2 years since I demo'd and still cannot get it out of my head!!

WileyAce

Certified Ski Diva
Curious as to why Armada wasn't on the list...That being said I think I might have to demo some Blizzard's next. The Bonafide piqued my interest.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Curious as to why Armada wasn't on the list...That being said I think I might have to demo some Blizzard's next. The Bonafide piqued my interest.
Possibly were not available at this particular demo?

Jilly

Staff member

* Atomic Vantage 95c W, 170 cm (132-95-118, 16.8m)
KS: SO LIGHT AND SO FUN!! This ski excelled at all turns in all conditions, and even at a 170 length, I could not shake them loose at any speed. Wow!! Light, flexy, poppy, nimble, and super fun! Highly recommend this ski for skilled skiers who want to take on the whole mountain!!
-------------
^^ THIS ski. 2 years since I demo'd and still cannot get it out of my head!!

Gotta agree with both of you on this one. Had it out yesterday!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna