• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2015 Eastern Ski Adventure

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Similar conditions up here in more northern aspects of western Maine: sun is strong, things mush out and get sticky pretty fast. Not seeing any great drop in temps through the weekend.

@Jenny - the above plan sounds like a good one! Try Jay, go urban if skiing is unsatisfactory. Have heard that Jay's "Pump House" (water park) is a hoot.

Who knew it would get THIS warm THIS fast? :noidea:
I'm getting snow tires off this Friday, which is usually "the signal" for colder temps and/or snow > ha. TBD.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@canski - Anything in particular you liked/disliked in Montreal? How long were you there? Where did you stay? I'm betting that Jay/Montreal will be the way we end up going, and saving DC for another time, but will still be checking the webcams and reports right up until pretty much the moment we start packing the car.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
@canski - Anything in particular you liked/disliked in Montreal? How long were you there? Where did you stay? I'm betting that Jay/Montreal will be the way we end up going, and saving DC for another time, but will still be checking the webcams and reports right up until pretty much the moment we start packing the car.

We've gone to DC at least once a year for many years, and there's always something new to see. I highly recommend making a trip when you can. Generally August is the best month to go - congress is not in session and rates are cheaper. The skiing stinks, though. ;)

Jenny

Angel Diva
I think a long as there's a reasonable chance at skiing DC is going to have to wait. Am focused more on the Montreal option at the moment, but I guess we won't know for sure until the last minute. This is really weird for me, though, because I'm a total planner and we may not even have first night reservations until late this week. And then who knows about after that?

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Discussing with DH over dinner - 2 of the things we saw in Montreal that are not there now are: Chihuly exibit at Museum of Fine Art and Botanical Gardens - special exhibit. We went primarily to see a cycling race - Tour de France guys. Wandered Old Town, Biodome (out near Botanical Gardens) too. Of course imagine they would have other things going on at all times. There is a subway system to get around. Stay near a station if you can. We stayed at the Omni - they had a great deal going on and were at the base of Mont Royal - the location of the bike race (and a great place to walk/hike). (We splurged since it was an anniversary trip, too.)
Honestly, he liked DC better as far as more things to do and the city, too (and the weather would be better for walking around this time of year) and they have a subway system, too. And most things are free.
You can't go wrong with either - good subways, good food, lots to do - and you do have a chance to get some skiing in if you choose Montreal!
Check out TripAdvisor and I'm sure a few Divas will chime in with lots more info than I can give you with only 3 days there!
Have a great time!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Chihuly is cool - they had a big outdoor exhibit here at the Meijer Gardens a few years ago and it was amazing. And how fun to see the bike stuff, too. I'm sure we'll find plenty to do - and we may only be there two or three days - depends on the skiing and what else happens to come up!

Maybe I'll learn to embrace this la-di-da approach to a trip (but I doubt I can squash the planner for much longer)!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a planner too, but I love exploratory trips. They allow me to stay as long (or short) as I like, based on what I find of interest.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were at Okemo last Thursday - Sunday. There was still plenty open, but I agree with Ski Diva, it was best early before it warmed up. And on Sunday, when it was warmer than the other days, it was heavy by 10 am, LOL... They also told me that Sunday was the last day for the Jackson Gore peak because the bears and moose would be coming around (!). Also, just because most of the trails are open doesn't mean most of the lifts are... pretty much the only lifts open at Okemo were the main quads and nothing mid-mountain... it made some trails tricky to find, but the bonus was no waiting. I don't think we waited for more than 6 chairs the entire time we were there...

If it's even a tad colder further north, I'd try that. If it at least freezes overnight - well, that's both good and bad... good because it's not melting as fast, bad because it's icy/uneven in the morning before it warms up, and then heavy when it does. The "perfect" window is very narrow, LOL...

BTW, did you know Dale Chihuly is from WA State? There's a Chihuly museum in Tacoma, where I'm from. I actually have a mini Chihuly (maybe 3-4") given by the company my dad worked for to the executives one Christmas - of course, that was back when he wasn't as famous, LOL...

:-)

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yeah. I might have had my last day and didn't really know it at the time.

I'm displeased. If only I were queen and Mother Nature cared about me.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Maybe don't give up yet @Jenny. Weather for my area (Laurentians) looks not bad. Chance of a shower on Saturday, but also sun - high of 9C and sun for Sunday and 11. Could be a nice closing weekend at Tremblant - though not a heck of a lot will be open. Just heard the Montreal forecast on the radio and they said partially sunny for Saturday. Maybe rain Friday. Don't know about Jay.

vtgal7thgen

Certified Ski Diva
hi @Jenny! Sugarbush is our home mountain and this past Sunday there was PLENTY of snow and all of the "South" terrain was open. As of today there are 33 trails and 3 lifts open including the famous Castlerock lift. The "North" mountain has closed for the season for lift operations but is open for skinning and by friends' reports still has lots of snow. The lifts are fully open midweek through April 26th which is closing day at this point.

I had recommended Jay Peak a while back on this thread and I still would- it's going to have the most snow and the water park is a great alternative to skiing as is Montreal. We love that city! So much to do, so many great cultures/restaurants/exhibits and very easy to navigate downtown. If it's you and kids I'd recommend the Embassy Suites near Old Montreal, if just you and DH Auberge Bonaparte would be my choice- a lovely little boutique hotel with an authentic French restaurant on a cobblestone street...and breakfast is included with your room.
Best of luck with your trip!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks for the update. We're going to chance the weather, and if we only get to ski Sunday at Jay Peak, then so be it. I picked up a guide book to Montreal today, so We have something to look through in the car. The Auberge Bonaparte looks really nice - thanks for the recommendation. I hate trying to just pick something online, even though it generally works out OK.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I talked to Jay Peak this morning and they say it's all still open and she even mentioned snow (tonight?) so we went ahead and booked two nights there. So definitely skiing Sunday, and have the option to ski Monday as well. Will decide Sunday night what the heck we're doing after that.

@MaineSkiLady - If you ski Sugarloaf this weekend I'd be interested to hear how it is. Forecast still looks dismal, though.

Jilly

Staff member
Jay is talking about NEXT weekend even!! I'm a subscriber to their 242 e-letter...Got it tonight!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@MaineSkiLady - If you ski Sugarloaf this weekend I'd be interested to hear how it is. Forecast still looks dismal, though.
I am under the weather and thus won't be skiing - but if I'm better tomorrow, I will be up there for a barbecue and will assess. Going fast now, no cool-down in sight. :frown: Sure went fast this year - only a few random piles in my yard, rear deck clear, and it was 4' deep a month ago.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga