• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2 fatalities at Bachelor

Christy

Angel Diva
2 men died in separate accidents at Bachelor this weekend, but there are few available details. This is frustrating to me. It has been very icy there--until yesterday, they had gone without new snow since Jan. 5th. We were there 3 weeks ago and it was icy then! Looking at the Mt Bachelor conditions FB group, which I joined before our trip, it seems like there is an assumption that conditions played a role. One report said it might have been a head injury after a fall, but that the man was wearing a helmet.

I just can't understand why it's kept so hush-hush. I'd like the opportunity to learn from accidents. I don't need gory details or names, just something instructive. And I think there is no downside of reminding people of the consequences of (speed? poor conditions? falling even if you are wearing a helmet? etc). Why is there always so much publicity when someone falls in a tree well but nothing instructive like that for anything else?

Jilly

Staff member
I've heard through someone that skis there all the time.....no new snow, tree tops, that should have been cleared off season, are poking through. So like hitting a tree?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2 men died in separate accidents at Bachelor this weekend, but there are few available details. This is frustrating to me. It has been very icy there--until yesterday, they had gone without new snow since Jan. 5th. We were there 3 weeks ago and it was icy then! Looking at the Mt Bachelor conditions FB group, which I joined before our trip, it seems like there is an assumption that conditions played a role. One report said it might have been a head injury after a fall, but that the man was wearing a helmet.

I just can't understand why it's kept so hush-hush. I'd like the opportunity to learn from accidents. I don't need gory details or names, just something instructive. And I think there is no downside of reminding people of the consequences of (speed? poor conditions? falling even if you are wearing a helmet? etc). Why is there always so much publicity when someone falls in a tree well but nothing instructive like that for anything else?

I agree. More awareness might create a safer environment. It’s starting to really upset me. A 14 yo died at Alta over the weekend and another male died at Snowbasin.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree. More awareness might create a safer environment. It’s starting to really upset me. A 14 yo died at Alta over the weekend and another male died at Snowbasin.

I don't think most ski resorts have to report fatalities or injuries to any particular organization, though I would welcome any information about that just out of personal curiosity. The National Ski Areas Association "reports" some statistics, but that data is enmeshed in an obvious public relations strategy to mitigate its significance. You can see here in an older report, they have a section devoted to putting those deaths and injuries into a rather tenuous "perspective."

In short, resorts don't want to call attention to the dangers inherent in the sport, so they're not likely to be forthcoming unless compelled, and nobody seems to be compelling them.

The Summit Daily in Colorado published an interesting piece in 2017 in which they looked at coroner's records for information about skier deaths.

When skiers' injuries happen at or adjacent to the resort, that doesn't necessarily mean that a fatality is pronounced there. If it's very obviously a fatality, yes; the patrollers can call their medical director and together they can make the pronouncement. But in many cases, the patrollers run the code (i.e., do CPR) until they transfer care to the ambulance crew, and patrol does not receive follow-up on what happens to the patient after that. So the death did not "technically" happen at the resort. I'm sure resorts also hide behind patient-privacy rules to avoid calling attention to the actual numbers.

It is surprising to me that the National Ski Patrol does not collect data on injuries and deaths.

At the NH resort where I worked as a bike patroller last summer (they use the same system in the winter), all incidents in which patrollers contacted a patient were recorded in the TEMSIS database, which is the statewide EMS patient care reporting system. So, accidents, deaths, and injuries at the resort are lumped in with all of the other emergency medical calls in the state. It would take permission, access, and a lot of sorting to get a look at snowsport-specific incidents. And not every resort is an EMS agency, so how patient care information is collected is probably almost as varied as the number of ski resorts in the US.

I only have a vague anecdotal sense from working with and talking to patrollers, but it seems as though there are a lot more catastrophic injuries and more deaths from skiing/riding than the general public is probably aware of.

It also seems that helmets really don't seem to help much in high-speed collisions with trees and hard-packed surfaces.

Last edited:

snowskier53

Diva in Training
The conditions at Mt. Bachelor are, quite simply, horrible. I live here and we ski here, but we have not been up at all this season. Why? During the holidays, it was jam-packed with vacationers, so no reason to go for us mid-week, non-holiday skiers, knowing we would have the place to ourselves after the holidays. BUT, with no new snow for months (about two), it has become dangerously fast up there. The two men who died most likely encountered the hard-pack--ICE--that the slopes are in the mornings, and, once they fell, there was no way to stop, and most likely, having accelerated beyond control while sliding, encountered the immovable object that quite literally stopped them. I do not know, I was not there, but from what I have read on the Mt. Bachelor Conditions facebook page (populated by those of us who frequent the mountain), that is what happened. No, there is no transparency in any of this, and pure speculation from us, but considering the lack of new snow, the temperatures overnight and the hard grooming being done, we can deduce that it could have happened to any of us helmeted snow warriors. Wearing a helmet does not guarantee that we won't sustain an injury after all. The takeaway from all of this? Definitely continue wearing your helmet, ski in control, and ski with a buddy.....but know there are unforeseen circumstances that could happen to anyone, experienced or not. Does this make me think twice about heading up to the mountain? You bet!!!! I will wait for a blizzard to lay down some good snow, a few feet, before venturing up to enjoy my favorite sport. Will it keep me from skiing in the future? Heck no!!!! I will become much more cautious, however, slow down and stay hyperaware of everything around me. Happy trails to all!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's an article with a summary

So much sadness and tragedy. :-(
That's a lot of deaths in a short amount of time. All male if I read closely enough, but different ages. Two deaths were caused by collisions between skiers, others from collisions with trees and rocks, or tumbles down into rocky terrain.

Sparky

Angel Diva
We were in the Bachelor parking lot last Friday when the ambulances came, then the helicopter. We went over and watched the helicopter leave shortly after without transporting the patient because he already passed. So sad... Conditions have been so variable, great turns followed suddenly by ice. Our friend cracked five ribs several weeks ago hitting ice. It’s just not worth it to me, I don’t get how some people still just fly in those conditions, I don’t care how good you are, you’re also endangering others. This is our worst ski season so far, we have about 8 days in, normally we‘d be at about 40 now. =(

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never apologize for skiing at a speed I am comfortable with, and this is why! I also have barely ventured off-piste at all this year because of the number of hazards lurking. It's honestly been a rather boring season of groomers groomers and more groomers, but I want to live to ski another day.

newboots

Angel Diva
I really let loose in speed when we went to Saddleback at Diva East. I've never skied really fast before. The trails were (1) in perfect condition and (2) more or less empty. I didn't know I could go this fast, because it's been a long time since I had that combination of conditions. I don't dare ski really fast if there are people ahead of me. I don't have enough confidence in my stopping or changing direction on a dime.

I wish other skiers were as (over?) cautious as I am.

From the article linked above: "On Sunday, a teenage boy died in a skiing accident at Palisades Tahoe, CA. At around 2 pm Sunday, two teens, one on the Palisades Tahoe Big Mountain Competition Team and another from the Olympic Valley Freestyle Team, were skiing on the Yellow Trail on the Alpine side of the resort when they collided."

Truly expert skiers! I shudder to think.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never apologize for skiing at a speed I am comfortable with, and this is why! I also have barely ventured off-piste at all this year because of the number of hazards lurking. It's honestly been a rather boring season of groomers groomers and more groomers, but I want to live to ski another day.

Look at the smart girl who *didn't* hit every rock at Snowbasin unlike um never mind. :bounce:

At least Diamond Peak patched up my bases/edges nicely.

They've really stepped up the safety patrols/informational signs this week -- I wonder if that's partially due to the tragedy.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Oof. So sad at the number of tragedies. Do wonder if being distracted by helmet music is sometimes a contributing factor.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We were in the Bachelor parking lot last Friday when the ambulances came, then the helicopter. We went over and watched the helicopter leave shortly after without transporting the patient because he already passed. So sad... Conditions have been so variable, great turns followed suddenly by ice. Our friend cracked five ribs several weeks ago hitting ice. It’s just not worth it to me, I don’t get how some people still just fly in those conditions, I don’t care how good you are, you’re also endangering others. This is our worst ski season so far, we have about 8 days in, normally we‘d be at about 40 now. =(
Oof, that must have been unbearable. I’m so sorry for everyone involved.

Fwiw, if anyone ever sees a med flight leave without the patient, those helicopters are incredibly cramped inside. Sometimes a critical care team will opt for a ground ambulance because it allows them more room to work on the patient. Obviously not the case in this incident. But hopefully a little info just so that onlookers don’t necessarily expect the worst.There are a number of factors (distance to hospital, weather, patient weight, type of injuries) that determine the mode of transport.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Look at the smart girl who *didn't* hit every rock at Snowbasin unlike um never mind. :bounce:

At least Diamond Peak patched up my bases/edges nicely.

They've really stepped up the safety patrols/informational signs this week -- I wonder if that's partially due to the tragedy.
The funny thing is my husband works there and can tune our skis whenever, essentially, but he’s as protective of his skis as I am of mine! :tongue: Maybe because he’s seen what can happen too many times (and has ripped an edge right out of a pair several years ago.)

Funny thing the safety patrollers watched a lady zip past me in Bear Hollow today, and she damn near hit me and they did nothing. Those slow, round turns that people SHOULD be doing there are SUCH good skill builders!

When will people understand that speed does not = skill?!

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The funny thing is my husband works there and can tune our skis whenever, essentially, but he’s as protective of his skis as I am of mine! :tongue: Maybe because he’s seen what can happen too many times (and has ripped an edge right out of a pair several years ago.)

Funny thing the safety patrollers watched a lady zip past me in Bear Hollow today, and she damn near hit me and they did nothing. Those slow, round turns that people SHOULD be doing there are SUCH good skill builders!

When will people understand that speed does not = skill?!
Yesterday they cautioned an older woman who blew by me, so maybe it depends on the patroller. Bear Hollow is terrifying when it's crowded. My kids are getting to be good skiers but I feel like I'm skiing behind them playing 'prevent defense' making loopy turns so others can spot us all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga