• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

11 ski reviews: Dynastar, Rossi, K2, Atomic, Elan, Head, Volkl

Elle23

Diva in Training
Hi,

I’m new to this site but everyone’s posts have been very helpful to me so I figured I’d post a bit on the demos I’ve done recently. I’m an advanced skier and used to ski a lot, but then moved down to DC so recently have only skied about 10 days a year. This year my husband and I decided to get new equipment so did a lot of demos in the last few weeks. I specifically wanted a ski that would handle ice well, since most of our skiing is in VT, but also work decently enough in powder for an occasional trip out west.

We didn’t manage to get to any demo days, so just relied on demo shops which, unfortunately, seem only to carry short skis. I’m listing the skis in the order in which I tried them. Apologies for the lack of detail on some of them.

Mount Snow, VT:
Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden (158 – 126/85/110) – This was the first ski I tried and it seemed slippery to me, but a fun ski. Since it was the first ski I demo’d, I think it was just a bit of a shock from my old skis, which are first generation parabolics (Atomic, I have no idea what they’re called, but they’re 15 years old), so it was hard for me to get a good idea of it. I ended up liking it enough that I redemo’d it yesterday, and love it (more on that below).

Rossignol Attraxion VIII Echo (162 – 127/75/108) – After one run I stopped and told my husband “this is it.” This ski turned very easily and handled well on the ice. It turned quickly and eased through moguls, and really just encouraged me to be a better skier.

K2 Burnin’ Luv (160 – 117/70/101) – This ski was awesome, very easy turns and very responsive. It’s a great carver, but at the end of the day I decided it just wasn’t what I wanted because the waist of 70 is pretty limiting. I have to say though that of the eleven skis I tried this was by far the best on moguls, letting me just cruise through effortlessly.

Okemo, VT:
We found this demo shop to be a bit of a pain, mostly because the way Okemo is set up you don’t generally go to the bottom between runs unless you’re a beginner, and the demo shop is all the way at the bottom. You can sort of ski down to it, but then you have to climb a bunch of steel stairs to get back up to the mountain. Anyway, the offerings at Okemo were a little limited, so I ended up trying random skis.

Atomic Seventh Heaven (164 – 118.5/79/104.5) – They didn’t have any of the ones I wanted, so the guy there suggested I try these. I don’t remember much about them…there was nothing really wrong with these but they also didn’t really do anything for me. Sorry I don’t remember more.

Elan Free (159 – 128/88/108) – They had just gotten these skis, and I was looking to try wider waist skis, so they recommended I try this one. It was a really fun ski, very playful, but is more of a powder ski and well, there wasn’t really any powder. I did try it on moguls and it performed better than I expected, but ultimately didn’t turn as quickly as I wanted. If I were going to get two skis, I might have gotten this and the Burnin’ Luv, but since I don’t ski that much I need to compromise on the waist.

Atomic Blackeye Ti (167 – 125.5/82/110.5) – My husband had tried this and really liked it, and there wasn’t anything else I really wanted to try, so I gave it a shot. I was skiing the 167, which is a little long for me, but was all they had in. This was a very stable ski, good at speed and good on ice. Overall I was impressed with this ski, and considered getting it until I tried it on moguls. It was just too heavy for me, and really made me work more than I wanted to. This might have been better in a shorter length, but I ultimately decided a women’s ski was more appropriate.

Stratton, VT
K2 Lotta Luv (163 – 125/82/110) – I really wanted to like this ski but I just had trouble controlling it. It was a very fast ski and wasn’t as responsive as I’d like, so I just didn’t feel very safe on it, especially on a busy day. As a result, I ended up just getting very cautious, and even my husband commented that for once he was leaving me behind because I was so timid on this ski.

Dynastar Exclusive Idyll (158 – 124/79/106) – This ski was fine, but just not aggressive enough for what I wanted.

Head Wild One (161 – 121/81/107) – I was very surprised by how much I liked this ski. I’ve never really liked Head skis, for no good reason, but this one worked great. It turned well, handled ice, and cruised through moguls. My only hesitation was that it still wasn’t quite as aggressive as I wanted, and of course my mental block against Head.

Elan Pure Magic (158 – 123/78/105) – This was a shot in the dark, not one I had wanted to try, but was another recommendation based on my telling the demo guys that I wanted something more aggressive. They were very stable at speed and gave me confidence to go faster than I normally would on slick ice. I was sold on this ski until I took it through the moguls (I tried to do similar conditions with each ski to really get a good comparison). It turned quickly and was very responsive, but really just felt like it slammed down in the moguls. I’m not sure what the problem was, maybe it was too stiff or I just wasn’t used to the ski, but it’s the first time I’ve ever felt all the impact in bumps go straight up through my spine. In any case, everything but the moguls was great on this ski.

Wintergreen, VA

I had it narrowed down to the Dynastar Exclusive Eden or the Rossignol Attraxion VIII Echo, and was trying to talk myself into the Dynastar because of the wider waist, so wanted to try it out again. My husband called about 15 places in VA, MD and PA, and Wintergreen was the only demo shop that had it.

Dynastar Exclusive Legend Eden (158 – 126/85/110) – The second time I demo’d this I loved it. They put me in the 158 because that was the longest they had, and it was great. The ski turned easily, held on ice, and didn’t slide. I would have loved to try it again on bumps, but there weren’t any (a double black at Wintergreen is like a Vermont blue). The 158 seemed a little short (I’m 5’7”), so I’m going to order the 165 and hope that length works. I’m very excited about this ski, especially because the wider waist (compared to my second choice, the Rossi Attraxion VIII Echo) will be better in powder.

Volkl Kenja (156 – 129/86/105) – I tried this one because I’d heard so many good things about it, and really enjoyed the first few runs. Unfortunately the fog was very heavy, and getting heavier (couldn’t see the chair in front of you), so I had to be pretty cautious and couldn’t safely pick up speed to test the ski. The ski was also too short for me, and I really felt that. From what I could tell, this ski carved well, and was very stable at speed, but I had a little more trouble getting up to speed than I did on the Dynastar Eden (fog aside).

Lil' Thrill Seeker

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for taking the time to post your demo reports. It's useful information to a lot of us!

Welcome to TheSkiDiva and let us know what you end up with! :thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nice reviews, thanks for posting.
Another Dynastar fan here; I'm on the year-prior predecessor to the Eden, the Exclusive Legend Powder. I think the 165 will work well for you. I've been on the 158 most of this season, kind of wish they were 160 or 162 (162 used to be a length for this brand but no more).

However, happy to say that I had the chance to truly put them through the paces this past weekend, major tracked pow - light consistency, some wind slab, then heavier untracked, untracked wind slab, small areas of blown off hard pack, and....every size and shape bump (inevitable after 25") imaginable. Solid, dependable, versatile and fun.

Despite the somewhat exhausting conditions for the pilot, the skis were truly good. I hadn't quite hit "it" right until this past weekend where mixed conditions are concerned. They should serve you well. :clap: Glad you found your "match!" :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to our world.

Great report. So did you decide on anything yet??

Take a look at the Salomon Diamond, Atomic D2 VF75 and the Rossi S86W. These were some of my fav's from last years demo days.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ She said she was going to order the Eden in 165, after her second demo on same.

Jilly

Staff member
Helps if I read more than just the first post right!! Its Monday and I haven't got a coffee into me yet!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great reviews! Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the southeast. I'm in central North Carolina, so will keep the Wintergreen demo day in mind for next season. I like the Highlands on WTG on weekdays but usually avoid the weekends.

Fell in love with the Rossi Attraxion Echo 8 last season when NASTC had them available to use for the Diva clinic (the clinic was great!). Just about to test them out in Utah this week. Since we had 2 feet of fresh powder for the third day of the clinic at Squaw last March, I'm super excited to be hitting a snow week for Alta and wherever else we end up. :dance:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Welcome to the forum. I liked reading your reviews. If you don't want to drive all the way to VT you might want to try skiing Timberline or Canaan Valley in WV. For easy drive day places you can always hit up Whitetail or Liberty (I am a little biased here b/c I work at Whitetail.)

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fell in love with the Rossi Attraxion Echo 8 last season when NASTC had them available to use for the Diva clinic (the clinic was great!). Just about to test them out in Utah this week. Since we had 2 feet of fresh powder for the third day of the clinic at Squaw last March, I'm super excited to be hitting a snow week for Alta and wherever else we end up. :dance:

Let us know how that goes - I demo'ed the Attraxion 8 and it struck me as a terrific ski for the groomers, and less so for powder. Fast and agile, fun ski.

Jilly

Staff member
The Attraxion 8 is great on the groomers - ask some of Diva's that were in Sugarloaf and skied with me, and also in crud. The shovel is 125mm so its blasts through stuff. But its not a powder ski. The waist is too narrow. But for what we get here in the east, its enough. If we get more than 12" its time for powder skis anyways!

But there is nothing wrong with the Eden either. I got to try the Idyll. Might look at the Eden in 2 weeks because I haven't tried a rocker (ski) yet!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Let us know how that goes - I demo'ed the Attraxion 8 and it struck me as a terrific ski for the groomers, and less so for powder. Fast and agile, fun ski.

I skied the Attraxion 8 in both 10 inches, then 20 inches of fresh powder in north Tahoe last winter. Seemed to do fine.

I'm having just as much fun with them in Utah this week. Been skiing powder left in the trees, 6-10 inches, with no problem. Having a wide shovel obviously helps. I'm relatively light so that may be a factor too. Definitely floating, not sinking. We've also been hitting soft moguls, slick groomers, and a lot of other variations.

Powder in the trees at Brighton
Brighton11Feb11-7.jpg

Brighton11Feb11-8.jpg

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Darn. :(
Wish OP would post back with input on her purchase of Dynastar Exclusive Eden 165!
Hey Elle23 - if you're still with us, let us (or at least me, anyway) know how you're faring with new skis!
LOVE LOVE LOVE mine (EL Powder, 1 year before Eden). :thumbsup:
Would love to hear about that rockered tip!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna