• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

100ish east coast "powder" recommendations

RLB8

Diva in Training
I ski Sunday River and have had 165 length 88 Black Pearls for several years which I love. Looking for something I can pull out on the rare days when there is powder, use in trees (which otherwise I would avoid!) and potentially for trips west. Do not see this as something for backcountry as I have a separate set-up for that. Want something that floats better than BP, but also can handle piles that build up after a couple of runs. Absolutely do not want this as my daily driver so likely 10-20% (tops) of the time. I've skiied nearly 50 days this winter and hoping that trend continues. I'm 61, 5' 4" and 135ish pounds. Did not grow up skiing so came to it in the last 20 year and am expert level on groomed, but loose snow can be a struggle so want something for those rare days. "Short" list at this point is Blizzard Sheeva 10 (do not think I should go wider), Pandora Line 104, Vokyl Blaze 104, Fischer Ranger which at 162 length is 100 underfoot. Thoughts? Thank you!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm strictly a "western" skier (except for Europe trips) and skied both the Sheeva 9's and Sheeva 10's at Northstar and Heavenly with lots of snow ! Sheeva 10's won out ! They are so fun - not as light as Sheeva 9's but are great in fresh snow! I'm older, 5'1 and about 105 lbs..... been skiing DECADES...

MissySki

Angel Diva
Welcome! I also ski at Sunday River, and must say that I have rarely felt I need more than my Sheeva 9 on powder days there and to take West. I'm not a great powder skier in general though.. They are a blast in bumps and trees too. That being said, I did really like the Nordica Santa Ana 98 thinking about a wider ski for the rare bigger powder day in the East. So that might also be one to add to your demo list. :smile:

LauraVa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too recommend trying the SA98. I have the 2021s. I haven't had much chance to ski them in powder, but I've been loving them in soft groomers.

RLB8

Diva in Training
Thanks for so much for your responses. Really appreciate the input and as a first-time poster nice to know there is a community like this! In terms of the Sheeva 9 since they are 92 underfoot and I'm currently at 88, I am looking for something that is a bit wider. I did look at SA98 and was intrigued, but was concerned that as one of the heavier skis in this group might be a bit much for me to drive in uncut conditions. I'm in decent shape, but want something that is confidence inspiring in ungroomed and don't want to bite off more than I can handle. Anyone have experience with those off groomers? Really wish it was possible to demo in the east never mind align with powder conditions! Appreciate the suggestions and welcome any further thoughts! Thank you!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Just know that while the BP88 and Sheeva 9 are very similar waist width, they ski completely differently. And the Sheeva 9 shines greatly in the off piste terrain. But totally get wanting something wider in general.

The Santa Ana 98 could be available for demo in the shop at Sunday River. Have you checked there? They have lots of demo options. I demoed them during the demo day in early December last season and had them on snowmaking whales where they were a lot of fun. I didn’t find them unwieldy on my feet. Demoing in powder is tougher to coordinate, but you could wait for the next snow day and do a personal demo day from the shop there if they have a few options you are interested in.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for so much for your responses. Really appreciate the input and as a first-time poster nice to know there is a community like this! In terms of the Sheeva 9 since they are 92 underfoot and I'm currently at 88, I am looking for something that is a bit wider. I did look at SA98 and was intrigued, but was concerned that as one of the heavier skis in this group might be a bit much for me to drive in uncut conditions. I'm in decent shape, but want something that is confidence inspiring in ungroomed and don't want to bite off more than I can handle. Anyone have experience with those off groomers? Really wish it was possible to demo in the east never mind align with powder conditions! Appreciate the suggestions and welcome any further thoughts! Thank you!!
Oh, the Santa Ana 98 skis lighter than it is! It is a hoot off piste where it's meant to be skied. I prefer a heavier ski and especially in crud as they don't get deflected as easily and take up some of the variability before it gets to my legs. My description of them in variable snow is that they slither--the tails release so easily that you can just snake your way through stuff. There's a reason that shape and design is popular among men and women--it's a solid, hard charging ski when you want it to be, but can dial back and cruise, too. 100% get the 165 if you do pick up a pair.

RLB8

Diva in Training
Thanks again for your help. Good news is I was able to demo the Santa Ana 93 156 today and LOVED it - actually taught me BPs will be in the rear view mirror before too long. Regardless, since I'm looking for something wider for ungroomed...obvious choice is 98 as several of you suggested. Local ski shop has the Unleashed 98 in my size (162) and not the Santa Ana 98 so here lies the dilemma. I don't like the idea of twin tips with the Unleashed and hard to know if I'd get over that once skied them and whether the lighter weight would actually be desirable. Also, at 7 lbs 2 oz Unleashed is nearly 1 lb less than Santa Ana 98 - 8.1 lbs. Imagine lighter weight would be good in pow, but now understand having skiied the SA 93 (7 lbs 3.6 oz) desirability of weight in the gunk. Thoughts? Thank you!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks again for your help. Good news is I was able to demo the Santa Ana 93 156 today and LOVED it - actually taught me BPs will be in the rear view mirror before too long. Regardless, since I'm looking for something wider for ungroomed...obvious choice is 98 as several of you suggested. Local ski shop has the Unleashed 98 in my size (162) and not the Santa Ana 98 so here lies the dilemma. I don't like the idea of twin tips with the Unleashed and hard to know if I'd get over that once skied them and whether the lighter weight would actually be desirable. Also, at 7 lbs 2 oz Unleashed is nearly 1 lb less than Santa Ana 98 - 8.1 lbs. Imagine lighter weight would be good in pow, but now understand having skiied the SA 93 (7 lbs 3.6 oz) desirability of weight in the gunk. Thoughts? Thank you!!
I loved the regular Santa Ana 98 when demoing last season, and then hated the Unleashed 98 when I tried that back in December. That really surprised me.. on paper I thought I’d love it, but didn’t at all. Ymmv.

RLB8

Diva in Training
Interesting. Thank you! Overlay that with the disconnect I feel between twin tips and 61 year old and doesn't feel like I'm quite there. What did you end of going with when you demoed or were you just sampling?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Interesting. Thank you! Overlay that with the disconnect I feel between twin tips and 61 year old and doesn't feel like I'm quite there. What did you end of going with when you demoed or were you just sampling?
I do the demo day every year at Sunday River, in early December. So I was just trying things out for fun. I actually got the Volkl Blaze 86 that was my surprise winner of the day. However, I do still want to try the Santa Ana 98 again for a wider East Coast powder day ski as well, to make sure I still like it haha.. but they didn't have it at this year's demo day sadly. They had it last year, so it was disappointing when they only had the Unleashed and I didn't get on with it at all.

I think it may have been the mounting point for me.. I hated the feeling of so much tail behind me and the way I had to pressure the ski to try and get to the sweet spot was odd as well. Just didn't mesh with it.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just picked up a pair of Santa Ana 93 as I decided to go narrower for my powder/crud/soft chop ski (down from the Santa Ana 98.) It was a soft, somewhat scrapey groomer day. Oh word, they were a blast! I've loved all of the Santa Ana series so it's no surprise, but I've been on an 82 under foot for the past few weeks with no big storms, and wasn't sure how I'd feel getting out on a 93. They are an absolute blast! I still prefer narrower for groomer days for sure, but I had no regrets being on these for the day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna