• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. KarenD

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

I don't think I posted any goals earlier in this thread but at some point during the season I decided I was going to ski all of the green, blue, and black named runs at my home resort. I'd come home each day and mark them off on trail map with a Sharpie. In some cases, trails that are on the...
  2. KarenD

Photo of the day

I missed closing day at my mountain (Schweitzer) as we had to travel for a memorial service, but this weekend I made it to two closing days: Lookout Pass yesterday and Silver Mountain today, neither of which I'd skied before despite their being only a couple hours away from me. This is from...
  3. KarenD

Help Needed: How to move to Blue

I agree with everyone who has said it is absolutely okay to wedge your way down the hard parts. It is also okay to make really wide turns and traverse across the run (uncrowded slopes are best for this, of course). Sometimes the hardest part is dropping in off a ridge or road, so it may make...
  4. KarenD

Why do ski resorts close when there's still lots of snow?

Yes, this is exactly what I understand about Schweitzer--it gets warm in town and people stop thinking about skiing and start thinking about other outdoor activities. They did extend our season by a week this year, but that's gonna be it, despite the fact we'll still have a deep base then. Some...
  5. KarenD

Plus-sized ski gear

All of this. My ski pants are Columbia and on some days their design combined with my exertion makes me so hot that my knees get sweaty. My knees. I do have shell pants, from the men's department at REI because nothing on the women's side would fit, but the ones that fit my waist well enough...
  6. KarenD

Schweitzer, 2017-18

Yesterday was a surprise powder day, with 7 inches of snow overnight when the forecast was for nothing of the sort. I'll take it, even though it was a bit on the heavy side due to the temps hovering around freezing. The season closing date had already been extended a week to April 15th, so this...
  7. KarenD

More ski resorts going to RFID

The first place I ever ran into RFID was at Mount Bachelor years ago. This season I did one day each at Alta, Snowbird, and Steamboat and now have three cards I need to keep track of for future trips. I get why resorts are going this way, but I found I missed those little moments of personal...
  8. KarenD

Does anyone else here ski and snowboard?

I keep meaning to try snowboarding, but the days that seem like it would be best to learn (soft snow over a good base) are also the days I want to be on my skis, so I haven't.
  9. KarenD

Big Sky is getting an 8-seater bubble lift!

The gates get people into the seats well if they've been put in groups of six ahead of time. At Steamboat last time I was there, I saw several instances where more than six thought they were all next chair because no one was managing the corral or the singles line. That was messy, and led to a...
  10. KarenD

Schweitzer, 2017-18

I decided to join DH on his Utah & Colorado trip, so missed about two weeks at Schweitzer, during which it snowed about three more feet. We had some rain mixed with snow last night, which made for some heavy/sticky conditions down low today, but still, I can't complain about 373 inches for the...
  11. KarenD

This or That Game

Trees! With sushi: pickled ginger or wasabi?
  12. KarenD

Big Sky is getting an 8-seater bubble lift!

Wow. Hope they have good line management for it ... the six at Steamboat when I was there was rather a mess. As for the bubble, people have enough trouble just putting the bar/footrest down on the six I ride at Schweitzer all the time.
  13. KarenD

Help Needed: Crazy own heel to instep ratio?

Oh no, sorry about your shortened season.
  14. KarenD

Schweitzer, 2017-18

It's been snowing again, hooray! 19 inches in the last three days, with another 10+ (!) in the forecast this weekend. Winds have been a bit of an issue, with no singles allowed on the quad to the summit for part of today, but the snow was so good I didn't mind the blowing.
  15. KarenD

I have decided to retire - SO EXCITED!

Congratulations! I'm with @SkiBam; I don't understand how I ever managed to work as many hours as I did every week. :)
  16. KarenD

Schweitzer, 2017-18

The conditions over the last week and a half have been ... let's just say variable. We've had some snow. We've had some rain. We've had some re-freezing. We've had bulletproof corduroy. We've had dust on crust. We've had flour, sugar, and corn snow. We've had days when it's been winter at the...
  17. KarenD

Why is your home resort your home resort?

Schweitzer is now my home resort because I live a 10 minute walk from the village (8 if I hustle). :smile: DH and I decided to move here because of all the places we'd skied on vacations, it was the best combination of terrain we enjoy, a relaxed & uncrowded feel, and "affordable" housing.
  18. KarenD

Steamboat Feb 1-10

Glad to see your report. We're thinking of going to visit friends there in early March.
  19. KarenD

Smith I/OS with Chromapop Review

I've been thinking a want a photochromic lens for my I/OS like DH has in his POC goggles, because it feels like every day I switch to my Red Sol-X Mirror lens, the clouds roll in after I'm on the hill and I'm wishing I had left the Blue Sensor Mirror in there. But considering the price of a...
  20. KarenD

Help Needed: First time in Wyoming

We loved Grand Targhee so much that we were thinking about moving there before we found Schweitzer. I agree with everyone who has said Broulim's is a great grocery store ... though last time we were there they weren't open on Sundays, which we didn't think to check before we headed into town to...