• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Shows: yea or nay?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Next weekend I plan to go to the first ever Vermont Ski Expo. Sponsored by Vermont Ski + Ride magazine, it's Oct 1-2 at the Sheraton in South Burlington. It's not going to be huge, but it looks like it'll be pretty decent. Plus I love that it's early. I'm super excited about ski season, and this just feeds into it for me. I love looking at the exhibits from the resorts and gear companies. And there are ski films, giveaways, contests, etc.

Then in a few weeks there's the Boston Ski Expo (Nov 10-13), and I'll probably go to that, too.

So what about you? Do you enjoy going to ski shows? And do you plan to go to any?

Last edited:

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been to the Albany Ski show a couple of times. there you get a free ticket to 'a mystery mt' if you go early. I've bought some good deals at the show (helmet, goggles, hat, mittens) see a lot of excited skiers/friends and I love getting lots of STICKERS for my helmet :-)

Jilly

Staff member
My local would be the Toronto Snow Show. It's really just a big ski swap and travel show. Since I'm not really into travelling right now and I have all the gear I need, it's not really something I'm going to drive 2 hours, pay admission plus parking. Now the Ottawa show is the next weekend, and I'm more likely to meet ski buddies there. But again it's a travel and ski swap.

Years ago the ski show was the manufactures showing the new stuff. You could talk to the reps, maybe even try on boots. Then the manufactures got out of it. Not really interested it what it's become.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had a good time at the giant swap in Syracuse a few years ago. There were a few tables from local ski areas with freebies and savings vouchers.

In NC, the closest even to a show is the tent sale at App. Never been since it's a 2.5 hour drive.

Sounds fun. Burlington is a bit far for us but I hope you have a blast. Nothing like getting some pre season stoke going.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Agree w @Jilly . Not what they used to be. But I am going to go to the Warren Miller new flick in November... Now that's a pre season stoke!

Jilly

Staff member
Actually the Warren Miller film used to be part of the Toronto show. You paid extra, but it was there. Also usually some type of ramp show. Don't get me wrong, if you're looking info on places to ski and stay, it's worth it. But when the manufacturers got out it, there is hardly anyone to ask questions to about equipment. The major stores in Toronto all set up "booths" to sell/flog old stuff. Then the CSPS has a big swap too. So I call it a big travel and ski swap now.

Our pre season stoke started last week with the open houses of both our local ski clubs. Next up is new boots in 2 weeks at my other home mountain and Warren Miller movie the first weekend in November with the ski club. I would love to hit a ski show at some point for additional pre season stoke (maybe next year).

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skipped enough Ski Dazzle show that I'd be up for going to this one. It is mostly for travel and for useless paraphenalia now. There's a ski swap, but I've never too part in it. Parking is $20-25, and the area is not the safest in downtown L.A. to park further away, and there are so many people, that it's off-putting. I know I sound like an old fart...

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always go to the Boston Ski Expo. I never buy anything--but I like collecting brochures from all the resorts that interest me. I am a person that likes to look at things in paper form rather than online--so I like getting them to look at all the pictures etc. It's just something to do to help get excited for ski season.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm a paper person too. I'm thinking about heading in the one in Ottawa. It's free to park and get in. I would like some up dated info on Whistler as I'm heading out in March.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
The Calgary Snow Show was cancelled for the first time in 28 years!!! :eek:

Apparently the organizer is citing the economic downturn and the uncertain profitability of the show in the Calgary oil economy as the reason! Check it out:

https://www.calgarysnowshow.com/

Normally, I would say yay on the snow shows - just because it's fun to walk around and get ready for it all pre-season. But nay on this one!

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely Yes on going to ski shows, if nearby. Great stoking and freebies, meeting like-minded people. Haven't been to one in a while, but I've already been to pre-season ski sales and bought a jacket (at Stratton)!

mustski

Angel Diva
I skipped enough Ski Dazzle show that I'd be up for going to this one. It is mostly for travel and for useless paraphenalia now. There's a ski swap, but I've never too part in it. Parking is $20-25, and the area is not the safest in downtown L.A. to park further away, and there are so many people, that it's off-putting. I know I sound like an old fart...

I haven't been to SkiDazzle in years, but I used to love it. I also stopped going to SnowJam in Del Mar. My problem is my lack of self control and DH is right behind me. Once one of us buys something ... the horse is out of the barn and watch out!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I figure I'll go to SkiDazzle this year, unless I'm skiing that weekend.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been to the Boston Ski expo I think 3 years in a row. One year I got super lucky, won free tickets to two different mountains while I was there and then got a letter a few weeks later that I had won a free weekend at Bolton Valley (lodging and lift tickets). I've never topped that year.
I enjoy it, but its about 35 minutes away for me, I don't know if I would travel much further. I usually walk around for a couple hours and then get lunch in the city and head home. If you get there early there can be some good early bird specials to grab (tip: follow as many resorts on social media as possible, they will do things like "first person to come up to our booth and say this word gets a free ticket!"). I like to pick up brochures and coupons. I did buy my tickets to Mt. Sutton last year because I knew that trip was going to happen. I think if you are a planner, and already know which mountains you plan to hit that year it can be a great way to get deals on tickets... but some make you pick a specific date and all expire at the end of the season, so there is a risk to it.

Pro-tip 1: bring a sheet of address labels with your name, address, phone # and email on them. Almost every booth runs some sort of contest, its way more efficient to slap one of your labels on the card and drop it in the box then fill out every form. Plus you can sneak away before the rep tries to sell you something! You will get sooo many jealous looks from everyone else!
Pro-tip 2: Use an old or separate email address or set up a filter on your email account because you WILL get spammed by all the resorts that you enter their contests.

Jilly

Staff member
Pro-tip 1: bring a sheet of address labels with your name, address, phone # and email on them. Almost every booth runs some sort of contest, its way more efficient to slap one of your labels on the card and drop it in the box then fill out every form. Plus you can sneak away before the rep tries to sell you something! You will get sooo many jealous looks from everyone else!
Pro-tip 2: Use an old or separate email address or set up a filter on your email account because you WILL get spammed by all the resorts that you enter their contests.

I was going to caution anyone about filling in contests. This is how they get a mailing list. Time share condo's are the worst!

I'm thinking about heading into the Ottawa Show. More to see people I ski with and do some other shopping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna