• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All Ramp Skis $149

mustski

Angel Diva
Generally, a new ski comes prepped from the manufacturer and doesn't need a "storage" wax. It won't hurt anything, but that's all it looks like so I wouldn't worry about it.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@mustski good point; I'm afraid I've gone a bit Ron Swanson with my little workbench, so the wax was just an excuse to play around with my toys. :becky:

I scraped and checked one of them out of curiosity (and a strong desire to take a break from grading final exams) and it is extremely concave. Like: "even I can see that" concave. Oh well; they're in storage now and I'll decide what, if anything, to do about the bases in the fall.

Oh, fwiw, they didn't come in the nice bag that RAMP advertises either, just a cardboard box. They were clearance skis so it's no big deal, but the option to add on the bag would have been nice, even for a fee.

mustski

Angel Diva
If the bases appear concave, it is a very good idea to get a base grind before skiing on them! I had a pair of Auras become railed after a bad grind and it was a terrifying ride down an easy blue run. But, you are right, there is no need to panic and run straight in. Fall will get here soon enough.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I'm not loving the looks of those bases. Could just need a grind. How do the sidewalls look in that area?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sidewalls look ok; I'm worried that with the metal pattern showing through the base edges, there may not be much base material there to grind.

Sidewalls look ok; I'm worried that with the metal pattern showing through the base edges, there may not be much base material there to grind.

I wouldn't stress about it. Take em to your shop at the beginning of the season ant get em all queud up and start off the season with a bang. I bet all will be fine.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much, @vanhoskier. I look forward to hearing the feedback. RAMP seems to have a reasonable return policy, so worst case, I could go that route.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think my new POTUS skis I bought this spring had something similar on their bases after I got them. I think it's probably wax, but not 100% sure.

Sally Cat - Some small independent brands ship skis in (what I like to call) raw form. This means that you may need to have them ground, tuned and base structure before skiing them, or you may want to return them.
O - we needed to do some work on our Potus' before skiing them

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sally Cat - Some small independent brands ship skis in (what I like to call) raw form. This means that you may need to have them ground, tuned and base structure before skiing them, or you may want to return them.
O - we needed to do some work on our Potus' before skiing them
Thank you for letting us know! This is really helpful. Yes, the POTUS I got didn't quite ski the same as the demo POTUS, probably because of tune. I will get both POTUS and the new Jailbirds ground, tuned and base structure before skiing them next season.
@snow cat The tune could be the reason why your new POTUS didn't quite ski like demo POTUS, see above.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@SallyCat , I just heard back from my ski shop buddy. This is what he said:
"I think she got the edges too hot. Can she scrape it? Still look the same? It's the edges, expanded. Let me know."

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat , I just heard back from my ski shop buddy. This is what he said:
"I think she got the edges too hot. Can she scrape it? Still look the same? It's the edges, expanded. Let me know."
This is what it looks like to me as well.
One thing I noticed is how wide the edges are on this ski. An edge like that can heat up and hold the heat next to the bases which can cause rippling like that.

Still, I'd consider getting them ground and structured prior to skiing them.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone! Odd as it sounds, I'm having a boot fitting and some bindings mounted this summer at the Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT (they're open weekends beginning in July); I'll bring the Jailbirds as well and talk to the shop about them.

The reason for dealing with ski stuff over the summer is that I don't really trust my local shop in PA, which is part of a chain of ski shops. They're very nice people and well meaning, but they don't really have confidence-inspiring expertise and tend to parrot the sales schticks of company reps. The deal breaker was that they put me in a pair of horribly ill-fitting boots this past year. They also charge a criminal amount of $ for tuning and mounting.

I'm going to be spending the summer in VT helping with some family stuff, and I've been incredibly impressed and happy with the Boot Pro and their staff, so it's no big deal to throw the ski stuff in the car and take care of it while I have free time and access to a good shop.

Again, thank you for all of the help in diagnosing the issue with the Jailbirds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna